PDA

View Full Version : Strange SNG trend (is it a fluke)

ceramist
07-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Question regarding some observations at FTP. I've recently noticed that the $5.50s have gotten brutally slow and difficult (5-7 players left at 150/300). Ocassionally I'll jump up to $11, $22,or $33 and I'm seeing what I used to see on the 5s: 4 players gone by 25/50, final 3 usually playing at 80/160.

Is there a logical reason for this? Theoretically, I would expect the trend to go the other way.

c

Superfluous Man
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a logical reason for this? Theoretically, I would expect the trend to go the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]
The logical reason is that you're basing your conclusion on a pitifully small sample size.

11t
07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
It is all in your head.

sahala
07-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Try doing a search for "harder" or "getting harder" in the One Table Tournaments. Change number of weeks to 0. You should get a few "are the XX getting harder" results.

ceramist
07-26-2005, 10:34 PM
ok, everyone is freeking commedian. I know this is the site where ppl are supposed to be the most enlightened. So why all the negative comments? Im asking about a trend. I dont want to discuss sample size at this time. This isnt a statistical study.

c

grouchie
07-26-2005, 10:47 PM
well, when discussing trends, one has to discuss the trend in terms of sample sizes.

Makes everything more relevent.

So, how many tournies is this over that you have noticed this "trend?"

smb394
07-26-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, everyone is freeking commedian. I know this is the site where ppl are supposed to be the most enlightened. So why all the negative comments? Im asking about a trend. I dont want to discuss sample size at this time. This isnt a statistical study.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, no sample size discussion. Just run a [censored] search then. This question gets asked so many goddamm times. I won't say how many, b/c that might be a #, and we aren't talking about statistics. Happy now?

ceramist
07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
OK, lets try again. I know statistics. I know about sample sizes. I dont WANT that kind of answer. I want to know if ppl have seen the same thing and if they find it strange.

I guess if all we care about here is n=>1000, then just drop it.

I'm looking for FTP'ers who may have seen a similar trend.

c

ceramist
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Great answer. I can see newbies are welcome here.

c

ceramist
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
One more point dammit. What kinda search can you run on such a subject? "Reverse progressive retardation on SNGs and how to model the same?"

God, just answer a simple newbie question

sahala
07-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Ceramist don't take offense at any of the replies. It's just that the question comes up over and over again. How's this for an answer: for every time someone notices a trend of SNGs getting harder someone else notices them getting easier. I'm probably not entirely correct on this but I guarantee it's more correct than SNGs getting harder.

During the weekend of the WSOP ME I *thought* I noticed the games getting extremely soft. I looked at my graphs in SNG tracker and they actually looked about the same, or rather, my ROI and ITM went up just a tiny bit, just as it does every now and then.

Welcome to the forum man. Don't freak out when people deliver a tough line. Besides it's better to take a beating in here than a beating at the tables.

Opraman
07-27-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ceramist don't take offense at any of the replies. It's just that the question comes up over and over again. How's this for an answer: for every time someone notices a trend of SNGs getting harder someone else notices them getting easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. As soon as I start to think about how hard things have been lately I get all in preflop with AA v KJs on the 3rd hand of a $55.

sahala
07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. As soon as I start to think about how hard things have been lately I get all in preflop with AA v KJs on the 3rd hand of a $55.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Kinda like getting a blowjob. Sometimes it doesn't turn out exactly the way you want, but you're happy to get them.

prana
07-27-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Question regarding some observations at FTP. I've recently noticed that the $5.50s have gotten brutally slow and difficult (5-7 players left at 150/300). Ocassionally I'll jump up to $11, $22,or $33 and I'm seeing what I used to see on the 5s: 4 players gone by 25/50, final 3 usually playing at 80/160.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

wow,

simple question, and alot of answers by people with lack of self confidence or something, maybe tiny penis size. No reason to get answers like this. No reason to post answers like the ones I've read unless you really insecure about yourself and attacking someone who comes along and asks a seemingly "stupid" or "newb" question. It really makes them feel better about themselves. Like the older kids when you were young trying to learn a sport or something. Notice though the good ones at those sports weren't the a ssholes, the jerks were the ones jealous of the good ones.
Gave em something to do while they were riding the bench.

Weak!!!!

smb394
07-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Ok, I'll admit that my response was a bit abrasive and harsh. For that, I'm sorry. But, the OP's reply to the responses was a bit too smart-ass I thought, how he just didn't care to hear about sample size. That comes with the territory.

Finally, this question does come up fairly often, and the general consensus is "no"

curtains
07-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Please refer to my response to the same post that was made about 2-3 days ago about the $22s.

Bartman387
07-27-2005, 12:55 AM
I completely agree with the OP. I have been noticing this with the 5+.5 the past two weeks or so. I would say for every SnG I have played in the past two weeks that has just three people left at 150/300, I have played 2 or 3 where there are still 5 left at that level.

I know its a small sample, etc. etc. I fully understand statistics. Even with this small sample size and duration I would tend to beleive that it may be trending in this direction.

ceramist
07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Sorry for getting pissy. I am still quite new to this forum and am just getting my legs under me, not to mention being a card playing newb.

I'll scan a bit more of the posts before I fire off a question next time.

c

benfranklin
07-27-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the same post that was made about 2-3 days ago about the $22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the week before that.

And 5 days before that.

And a week and a half before that............

BTW, this question of the ages repeats itself in the same cosmic pattern in the Holdem Forum, the O/8 Forum, the SSNL Forum,............

benfranklin
07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for getting pissy. I am still quite new to this forum and am just getting my legs under me, not to mention being a card playing newb.

I'll scan a bit more of the posts before I fire off a question next time.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nothing personal. Everyone here has done the same thing, and somebody (usually new) does the same thing every week or so. But once in a while someone goes on tilt about it, and everyone else piles on.

The lesson to all who are new to these forums is: if you can think of a question, someone else has thought of it before you. Do your home work, then ask.

P.S. Advice for the masochistic newbie. If you revel in serious abuse, start your post with one of the following:

1. This has probably been asked before, but...

2. I tried to search, but the search function here really sucks, so...

3. I know I should search, but I'm just too lazy, so...

4. I don't want to pass on gossip, but...

5. u r not gonna believe teh rediculous bad beat...

citanul
07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rediculous

[/ QUOTE ]

you rule.

citanul

codewarrior
07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reverse progressive retardation

[/ QUOTE ]