PDA

View Full Version : River Play

mojobluesman
07-26-2005, 04:54 PM
No reads yet.

I wasn't sure what to do on the river. I raised pre-flop and an A hit the board. I bet the flop and turn and they called me. I couldn't think of a hand they would call me with except a weak A.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Bez
07-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Bet, a 9 or a 7 will probably call.

tiltaholic
07-26-2005, 05:02 PM
bet the river...

POKhER
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
i play it the same i think, i see a weak A calling.
But as said 9/7 will probably call. However...(Lets not use hindsight) Will a flush raise you? Will an Ace fold? will 9/7 fold?

yes, No, Maybe.

I play it the same.

Nilbud
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
They could easily be calling the turn with four to the spade flush or something like 88. I will admit that I get worried when I have two callers follow me happily to the river, but I will ignore that voice and bet out on the river.

mojobluesman
07-26-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They could easily be calling the turn with four to the spade flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Those players would fold to my river bet. So why make it when they will fold the loser and call with the weak A and beat me. I think the key is what percentage of the time they would call with a weaker pair.

Nilbud
07-26-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Right. Those players would fold to my river bet. So why make it when they will fold the loser and call with the weak A and beat me. I think the key is what percentage of the time they would call with a weaker pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, so the flush draw is folding regardless, but does that mean I should check the river and give up on the extra BB from the remaining player in the hand? Sure, they could have Ax, but if they're really that passive I'll just note it and move on.

I think the chances of getting raised on the river are pretty small seeing as we raised PF and for all they know, hero could have AK or AA. If I thought there was a chance of a raise, I could see a check-fold, although I'd probably check-call anyway.

2+2 Junkie
07-26-2005, 05:47 PM
grunching...
I struggle with this a lot only an ace or a flush will call, and we can't beat those hands. So I would check, hoping not to be beat by a flush as well as hoping that someone that doesn't have an ace or the flush bluffs.

eviljeff
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
as this is a totally standard play, you get my totally standard response:
totally standard dude.

mojobluesman
07-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I was much less worried about getting raised by the flush or something else that beats me than I was about getting a caller in the situations where I was winning.

It doesn't make sense to bet unless you will get called more than 50% of the time that you have the other players beat. Otherwise you are only getting called when they do have you beat (costing you a bet). So the trick is determining whether a smaller pair would have called me more often than 50% of the time.

GTSamIAm
07-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Bet.

Duerig
07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
I'd probably play it the same when that 3rd club falls. I'd check-call, hoping to pick off a bluff. I can't imagine many worse hands calling you on the river.