PDA

View Full Version : 3 4/8 hands

DiceyPlay
07-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Typical LA 4/8. Very loose and passive. But everyone will call any number of bets pre-flop. They're all going to see the flop. Most flops are 7 handed or more.

Hand 1:

I have As4s on the button. 6 limpers to me. I limp. 9 to the flop - 9sTsJh. Early position player bets and everyone calls to me, I call. Turn is Ad. Early position bets and everyone calls to me, I ... ?

Hand 2:

I have AKo in middle position. 3 limpers to me and I raise. 7 to the flop for 2 bets each. Flop is K23 rainbow. Checked to me and I bet. 4 callers. Turn is a J. Checked to me and I bet. 3 callers. River is a J. Checked to me and I ... ?

Hand 3:

I have 6c4c on the button. 6 limpers to me and I limp. SB raises. Everyone calls. Flop is 7s7d4s. Everyone checks to me, I check. Turn is 4d. Everyone checks to me, I bet. 3 callers. River is Js. Checked to me, I ... ?

Your thoughts every step of the way would be appreciated.

-DP

Padawan Learner
07-26-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have As4s on the button. 6 limpers to me. I limp. 9 to the flop - 9sTsJh. Early position player bets and everyone calls to me, I call. Turn is Ad. Early position bets and everyone calls to me, I ... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have raised the flop. I would still raise the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
I have AKo in middle position. 3 limpers to me and I raise. 7 to the flop for 2 bets each. Flop is K23 rainbow. Checked to me and I bet. 4 callers. Turn is a J. Checked to me and I bet. 3 callers. River is a J. Checked to me and I ... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet! Well played.

[ QUOTE ]
have 6c4c on the button. 6 limpers to me and I limp. SB raises. Everyone calls. Flop is 7s7d4s. Everyone checks to me, I check. Turn is 4d. Everyone checks to me, I bet. 3 callers. River is Js. Checked to me, I ... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet.

papawawa
07-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Hand #1-
Jam this flop. You have 9 outs of 47 cards to make your nut flush (about 1 out of 5) on the turn + You are getting 9 to 1 on every chip you throw into the pot = the more money you get into that pot, the more you'll make in the long-run. Call the turn bet.

Hand#2-
Still bet that. No one's given you any reason to think you're beat. Not sure what to do if you're check/raised on the river tho. I'd assume you'd have to call b/c of pot odds, unless you have an airtight read on the c/raiser as a sneak.

Hand#3-
This is difficult. I'm tempted to value bet the flop, however I'm almost sure everyone will call and eventually draw out on you. I like you're line, and I'd have to say value bet that river!

mikeyvegas
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your thoughts every step of the way would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be more aggressive.

Raise the flop on hand one.

Bet the river on hand two.

Bet the river on hand three.

meep_42
07-26-2005, 05:16 PM
1. Raise the flop, bet the turn.
2. Bet.
3. Bet.

-d

DemonDeac
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Raise the flop, bet the turn.
2. Bet.
3. Bet.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

its so much easier when someone else gives the right advice so i dont have to type anything out.........[censored]. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DiceyPlay
07-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks to those of you who gave reasoning in your response.

Hand1:

I raised the turn. River was a blank and everyone checked to me. I checked. A set of jacks took it down. Everyone else had two-pair.

Am I raising to build a pot on the flop in case I hit my flush on the turn? I think I'd much rather call the flop expecting the early position bettor to bet again on the turn and then I raise - builds a bigger pot. I doubt it'll be checked to me if the turn comes the flush card, but one never knows. The ace on the turn made it a lot easier to execute this plan as I thought I might be ahead at that point and, if not, have gained extra outs. I didn't know my only outs were spades that didn't pair the board.

Hand2:

I bet the river and got check-raised. A player called the flop and turn bets with JTo. I lose.

Hand3:

I bet the river and got check-raised. UTG played JJ all the way to the river and sucked out. Same guy as in hand2.

-DP

meep_42
07-27-2005, 01:00 AM
You raise the flop on hand 1 because you have the whole field trapped for another bet. This is good because you will make the nut flush about 1/3 of the time and there are 9 players in the pot, meaning you're putting in 1 bet to gain 3 bets of the pot, very, very +EV. Also, you might clean up a small ace that dominates you, or get a free card on the turn. But mostly this raise is for value.

Hand 2, no one has shown interest in and you have a strong made hand. Paying off a river raise is read dependant, but I mostly fold. Bet is for value as a lot of lesser hands will call.

Hand 3, no one has shown interest in and you have a strong made hand. Paying off a river raise is read dependant, but I mostly fold. Bet is for value as a lot of lesser hands will call.

-d

LesWormMurphy
07-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Regardless of individual results-- here's what I think.

1) Like everyone else said, jamming the pot for your nut flush is the correct play. 35% pot equity is monstrous, take advantage of it.

2) I think you played your AKo just fine. You had your top pair and got 3 people to fold. With top pair, you want to go up against the smallest possible amount of people possible. But because the pot was originally 7 ways and was narrowed to 3-- chances are somebody has a jack. I would check/call a bet. However if it was heads-up, I would probably raise. Kings Up is a great hand heads-up.

3) If I read it correctly, you called a raise. I wouldn't call a raise with 64s, as its a pretty horrid hand. And still, I disagree with your flop play. I would've bet. When the board pairs theres only 5 cards left for improvement (This time, 4-- your holding one) instead of the normal 9. If that many people checked, I'd bet to narrow it down, protect your hand and hope it holds up, which it did.

No offense if any was taken, pal.
Take care.

onegymrat
07-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi Dicey,

I inadverdantly read the results prior to this response. I read posts as poorly as I play. Anyway, these hands were doomed from the beginning, and there was not much you could have done. However, I disagree with a few of your actions on the way to the poor house.

Hand 1: I don't think the time to raise was the turn. I understand your thinking, but I think a raise is in order on the flop. Mainly because you have the button, and you would rather have a free river than a free showdown. The decision is close because of the highly coordinated board and the chance of a three-bet is high which risk folding the middle players. But with the lineup that you described, you still will have callers. How often do you flop the nutflush draw on the button? Get the money in while you can. You may not when the bet doubles. And again, you close the action. Screw 'em, cap the flop should it be reraised.

Hand 2: You left out the number of players before you and after you. You only stated that there were three. If there were two behind you, I would tend to check. If there were only one caller, I would tend to bet. An early position player would normally not risk losing bets with trip jacks.

Hand 3: I would fold preflop. The hand is trash regardless of the type of table. The value of this hand does not improve just because it is a loose passive table. Since it's showdown poker, do you really think that you want to present this hand in the end? That said, I would undoubtedly bet the flop, which is the key to this hand. With your action, however, the river bet is a given. He sucked you out really badly, worse than a Tijuana hooker.

onegymrat
07-27-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The ace on the turn made it a lot easier to execute this plan as I thought I might be ahead at that point and, if not, have gained extra outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
The ace on the turn just doomed you to call more bets, not extra outs. The likelihood of someone having two pair with the ace is very high. Also, this board is too coordinated. You are behind way too often here and will need the flush card for sure. Remember the type of table you're playing. See my previous reply.

[ QUOTE ]
Same guy as in hand2.

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't me, was it?

hobbsmann
07-27-2005, 03:03 AM
who else likes a preflop raise in hand 1 as well?

meep_42
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
who else likes a preflop raise in hand 1 as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only good thing about that hand is the suitedness. You're quite likely dominated somewhere and a free turn doesn't really help you out that much, if you get offered it. So, no, I don't like a PF raise.

-d