PDA

View Full Version : question about guns

gamblore99
07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
For firearms that use the same ammunition, what characteristics do they vary in? I would imagine accuracy, but besides that what else? Like between a good gun and a bad gun that use the same bullets what would you expect to be better. What about for two guns of the same price, and same ammunition?

jakethebake
07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
i have no idea what you're asking.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 03:30 PM
There's some good info here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2971302&Main=2971236#Post 2971302).

miajag81
07-26-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's some good info here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2971302&Main=2971236#Post 2971302).

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me to it.

GrooveNougat
07-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Shoot first, ask questions later.

djoyce003
07-26-2005, 04:09 PM
well there are lots of firearms manufacturers....they pretty much all make guns that shoot the same caliber ammunition, but obviously the guns each manufacturer makes is different. Variations between models made by different manufacturers could be better accuracy on one, more reliable, etc. Price is usually a semi-decent starting point but not always. Sometimes a gun is more expensive because it is pretty or has custom work done to make it look better, but the functionality is often the same.

evans075
07-26-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well there are lots of firearms manufacturers....they pretty much all make guns that shoot the same caliber ammunition, but obviously the guns each manufacturer makes is different. Variations between models made by different manufacturers could be better accuracy on one, more reliable, etc. Price is usually a semi-decent starting point but not always. Sometimes a gun is more expensive because it is pretty or has custom work done to make it look better, but the functionality is often the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also to add to this post, sometimes guns are priced higher that have better "action." For instance, a good pistol will fire and eject a shell without much recoil, where as you can get a cheap one that will kick back more making it harder to hit your target.

slamdunkpro
07-26-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a good pistol will fire and eject a shell without much recoil, where as you can get a cheap one that will kick back more making it harder to hit your target.

[/ QUOTE ]

You’ve never actually fired a gun have you?

This is wrong on so many levels but…

Physics is physics – the same cartridge (say a 230 grain 45 auto hardball round) has the same recoil every time regardless of the gun used. (remember “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”?)

There is a huge difference between true recoil and felt recoil. The factors that affect felt recoil are almost too many to mention but here’s a few:

Weight of the gun
Distance that the barrel is over the center of gravity
Weight distribution of the gun
Action function (gas, recoil, manual)
Weight of moving parts
Shooter flinch (big one)

And on and on and on……..

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a good pistol will fire and eject a shell without much recoil, where as you can get a cheap one that will kick back more making it harder to hit your target.

[/ QUOTE ]

You’ve never actually fired a gun have you?

This is wrong on so many levels but…

Physics is physics – the same cartridge (say a 230 grain 45 auto hardball round) has the same recoil every time regardless of the gun used. (remember “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”?)

There is a huge difference between true recoil and felt recoil. The factors that affect felt recoil are almost too many to mention but here’s a few:

Weight of the gun
Distance that the barrel is over the center of gravity
Weight distribution of the gun
Action function (gas, recoil, manual)
Weight of moving parts
Shooter flinch (big one)

And on and on and on……..

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the biggest nit post I've ever seen. You've just explained why his statement is true, you jackass, as he was clearly talking about "felt" recoil.

Peter666
07-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Accuracy, reliability, human engineering, overall quality of manufacturing and materials used to build it.

Some inexpensive guns are more accurate than more expensive guns because of their process of manufacture. For example, Savage rifles are famous for their out of the box accuracy, and they are less expensive than equivalent Winchesters or Remingtons. Also, due to CNC machining, we have some of the best guns ever made at reasonable prices. Kimbers are the best 1911's you can buy, and they are not expensive compared to other 1911's. A real bargain actually.

For those who pay big bucks, they tend to get custom work on their firearms that can be aesthetic or geared towards better performance.

slamdunkpro
07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the biggest nit post I've ever seen. You've just explained why his statement is true, you jackass, as he was clearly talking about "felt" recoil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain in detail why a less expensive pistol is less accurate than an expensive one and I will concede.

Otherwise go back to your feedbag.

slamdunkpro
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, due to CNC machining, we have some of the best guns ever made at reasonable prices. Kimbers are the best 1911's you can buy, and they are not expensive compared to other 1911's. A real bargain actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, cheap CNC machines have really revolutionized the cottage gunsmith industry since more and more small shops can afford them.

As to 1911's Colt's were great but the UAW and the state of Conneticut drove them out of business.

Slacker13
07-26-2005, 09:08 PM
web page (http://www.kahr.com/review_ch_0900.html)
Can't wait to get it. I bought it on an online auction so it takes a few weeks. I have heard many good things about this gun and am looking forward to some range time with it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I am not sure what you mean.

slamdunkpro
07-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Interesting - I'd be interested in a test report

evans075
07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Take two pistols a cheap one and one that is designed well (which will cost more), put them in a vice and they shoot the same. Now shoot each ONCE freestanding and you will get close to the same shot. Now shoot a series of shots with each and I'll bet the one that cost you a bit more and was designed much better will have a grouping 100X that of the cheap pistol. And your little comment about me never shooting a gun. I live in Southern Alabama, come down here and I'll show you my collection. You just gave me a new idea for my new Avatar.

slamdunkpro
07-27-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take two pistols a cheap one and one that is designed well (which will cost more), put them in a vice and they shoot the same. Now shoot each ONCE freestanding and you will get close to the same shot. Now shoot a series of shots with each and I'll bet the one that cost you a bit more and was designed much better will have a grouping 100X that of the cheap pistol. And your little comment about me never shooting a gun. I live in Southern Alabama, come down here and I'll show you my collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shot Olympic free pistol and NRA bullseye for over 20 years including the 76 Olympics (no I didn’t medal). The most popular pistol for .22 bullseye is the Ruger which is far less expensive than the S&W 41’s, Hi-Standards, and Walthers that you also see. Why? It’s more accurate in both slow and rapid fire. This is but one example that flies in the face of your argument.

The whole point is that while there are many factors that affect accuracy (and accuracy was not the point of your first post; recoil was) price is not a huge factor.

As to the never fired comment – The original post sounded very inexperienced – no offense meant.

evans075
07-27-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take two pistols a cheap one and one that is designed well (which will cost more), put them in a vice and they shoot the same. Now shoot each ONCE freestanding and you will get close to the same shot. Now shoot a series of shots with each and I'll bet the one that cost you a bit more and was designed much better will have a grouping 100X that of the cheap pistol. And your little comment about me never shooting a gun. I live in Southern Alabama, come down here and I'll show you my collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shot Olympic free pistol and NRA bullseye for over 20 years including the 76 Olympics (no I didn’t medal). The most popular pistol for .22 bullseye is the Ruger which is far less expensive than the S&W 41’s, Hi-Standards, and Walthers that you also see. Why? It’s more accurate in both slow and rapid fire. This is but one example that flies in the face of your argument.

The whole point is that while there are many factors that affect accuracy (and accuracy was not the point of your first post; recoil was) price is not a huge factor.

As to the never fired comment – The original post sounded very inexperienced – no offense meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see that you are accually experieced and agree that costs doesn't matter always. I'm a gun collector, other than hunting and dicking around at the shooting range (which is a clay dirt pit where i'm from) i don't competition shoot which means I don't know much about the type guns that you shoot. I have a few pistols and in my experiance the ones that are a little more priced have shot better. My dad has a Glock Model 42 (I think thats right its the smaller size it stays in the safe) $800 with night sites compared to my cheaply made High point 9mm that stays with me at all time. The Glock shoots extremly better than mine. Tell me more about competition guns, looks like something I'd be intrested in + i have a few bucks that is burning my pants pocket up!!!

MrTrik
07-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Give a Beretta a try. In 9mm or 40 you cannot go wrong. It's the caddy of pistols with all the quality and not all of the price tag.

Indiana
07-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Dam I hate guns. Wish they'd ban the freakin things...Guess i could see hunting with rifles, but really, a handgun? Why? You might shoot ur tool off.

Indy