PDA

View Full Version : Bet or slowplay?

bkm
07-26-2005, 02:59 PM
$10+1 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t755)
Hero (t785)
UTG (t685)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t965)
MP2 (t595)
MP3 (t775)
CO (t740)
Button (t1900)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t65</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t140) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t125</font>, Hero ???

I flop TPTK and the nut flush draw, so do I call and try to get more chips from him or do I raise and try to win it now?

valenzuela
07-26-2005, 03:05 PM
u already slowplayed the hand once, but ure hand is looking so strong right now that I would call.

wildzer0
07-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I think a good rule of thumb for the tens is don't slowplay. You'll always get action from loose players. So calling is bad here. I would either just push here or raise to ~300 depending on the opponent. At a 10+1 i'd probably just push.

wuwei
07-26-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a good rule of thumb for the tens is don't slowplay. You'll always get action from loose players. So calling is bad here. I would either just push here or raise to ~300 depending on the opponent. At a 10+1 i'd probably just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because your opponents are unskilled, this doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to adapt your play to the situation. This is a logical hand to slowplay a bit. You have TPTK and the nut draw. There are only two likely hands you're behind on this flop, and neither one is folding to a push.

The big problem with slowplaying out of position is that you don't want to offer free cards on the turn. However, you have the nut draw and your opponent doesn't have many outs if he's behind at this point. A free card is ok if he checks behind on the turn.

1C5
07-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Here with such a good hand/draw, I call and then check quickly and see what he does. If he checks then I bet after the river.

playtitleist
07-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm a noob and not a very good one at that. I know wildzer0 is giving advice he thinks will give you the best ROI. Can't fault that.

But, at whatever level I play ($11s too), I try to play as if I am up against the competition in the higher levels. The point for me is to get better, not get so used to playing the "kids" as Degen alluded in his blog. (In fact, the kids are evidently playing 33s, so I am looking up at them even.)

BKM - I'd play it as if you were up against a very good player. That way, when you find out he is actually good, you're prepared.