PDA

View Full Version : Do you bluff here?

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Three handed in a $22 on PP. SB has been in a lot of hands recently, had pushed or folded from the button mostly. Button doesn't matter here.

I had been a little too tight the past couple of orbits, but had checked him down and won a mid-size pot with a marginal hand not long ago. Also, he folded when I pushed over the top on his last steal attempt.

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 7: Villain ( $2748 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $3352 )
Seat 6: Button ( $1900 )
Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
Button folds.
Villain raises [450].
Hero calls [300].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Villain checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Villain bets [448].
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
Hero calls [448].
** Dealing River ** [ A /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Villain bets [300].

Hero???

45suited
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead.

Scuba Chuck
07-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Does villain normally lead out on the flop, to "buy" the pot. If that's the case, a check usually means he's hit it pretty good, like top pair or better. If not, I would have lead out on the flop since you have improved, and folded to a reraise. If villain calls, there's a good chance he's on a draw, so I bet out again on the turn, and then I'm done with the hand (unless I'm improving).

The way you played this hand makes it a little more difficult. Less time to gather information. Your hand is vulnerable, you've got a nice stack, let this one go.

Scuba

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt that a bet on the flop would induce him to come over the top and I wanted to see a free card. The turn would help define his hand for me.

Slack

Scuba Chuck
07-26-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt that a bet on the flop would induce him to come over the top and I wanted to see a free card. The turn would help define his hand for me.

Slack

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Unless you already have some info on villain, as I suggested in my previous post, then I don't know what checking does to help "define" this hand for you. Betting the flop helps define the hand for you.

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Villain had tried to buy the pot a few times, but mostly checked. He almost always bet the turn with a bet like this regardless of his hand.

BTW, his turn bet convinced me that he had a weak K or A and had missed completely.

Scuba Chuck
07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain had tried to buy the pot a few times, but mostly checked. He almost always bet the turn with a bet like this regardless of his hand.

BTW, his turn bet convinced me that he had a weak K or A and had missed completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you should go with your instincts, but I'm certain allin is not the best move. Why not just bet the pot, it's cheaper. Either way, I think there is a better way to play these hands, and check-check isn't so good, IMO.

The Don
07-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I fold the river. I don't think that villian is laying down his hand especially if he caught his ace (which is likely) and because you are already ITM. I agree with everyone and bet the flop though. A substantial bet at that.

bkm
07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold the river. I don't think that villian is laying down his hand especially if he caught his ace (which is likely) and because you are already ITM. I agree with everyone and bet the flop though. A substantial bet at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why fold the river when you just have to call 300?

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Absolutely zero chance that anyone folds here. 6:1 odds to call makes it an auto-call most of the time.

There is ~t2150 in the pot giving the winner a huge stack. The option then is call (we are beat by any Q, 7, 8, A, PP or flush) or represent a flush and push all-in to put his tourney life in jeopardy.

Since I had him on a weak K, Villain can ONLY call with a flush, that or fold.......

Slacker

The Don
07-26-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why fold the river when you just have to call 300?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I fold when I believe I have a 0% chance of having the best hand. No chance villian makes a bet this small without a better hand than a pair of fours. Of course, I never would have put myself in this position in the first place... this hand was played very poorly in general.

EDIT: Moving in is better than calling here but folding is still by far the best option.

downtown
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why did you check the flop? I would've bet while I was likely ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I push this flop to a non-tricky min-raiser who just checked the flop to me. (See Scuba's post though if he usually bets these.) Unless I missed something and this is a thinking, tricky player, I think I'm ahead.

Then again I've developed this agression thing that once ITM has gotten me a lot of 1sts, a few 3rds, but not too many 2nds recently FWIW.

Jay36489
07-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I bet this flop too. anyway...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that bet struck me as odd. He makes a half ass bet that leaves him with almost exactly what little stack has left. Is he planning out what to do when he loses? I think so. Sounds like missed Ace high to me. If I checked the flop, push turn. The way it played out river looks like a value bet that you have to pay off.

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I thought about pushing the turn, but was 5:1 to improve (not to the best hand) and pot odds were 3:1, so I just called.

BTW, I agree with everyone that I played this hand poorly and got my a*ss in a trap. That said, does anyone push all-in after Villain's t300 bet on the river?

Thanks! SlackerMcDonkey

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Now you kids don't try this at home. I'm an experienced recreational player:

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 7: Villain ( $2748 )
Seat 9: Hero ( $3352 )
Seat 6: Button ( $1900 )
Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
Button folds.
Villain raises [450].
Hero calls [300].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif , Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Villain checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Villain bets [448].
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
Hero calls [448].
** Dealing River ** [ A /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
Villain bets [300].
Hero is all-In [2304] - (I insta-pushed)
Villain: <font color="blue"> i have one too but with a bad kickers
</font> Villain folds.
Hero does not show cards.
Hero wins 4700 chips
<font color="blue"> Villain: or did you buy one on me </font>
Villain: <font color="blue">ill remeber that
</font> Hero: <font color="red">good fold </font>

Moohaahaa! SlackerMcBalls

SuitedSixes
07-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I fold pre-flop.

If I make a move I do it on the turn.

pokerlaw
07-26-2005, 09:26 PM
If you are going to bluff, fire out a bet on the flop.

SlackerMcFly
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
AAARGH! I already admitted that the hand was played poorly from the start, on the flop and the turn. Appreciate the advice and all, but...... &lt;----(note to Drapes).

I did not ask how to play 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif pre-flop, post-flop or the turn.

The obvious play is to fold this pre-flop.
The obvious play is to push on the flop.
The obvious play is to fold the turn (having missed the straight).

The only question is:
Do you or don't you bluff having found yourself (or forced yourself) into this position? And, what are your thoughts behind your decision?

My thinking is included above. Probably not Level 2 or above intelligent thought, but I want to win chips. How do YOU win chips given this circumstance?

SlackerMcRant