PDA

View Full Version : trips on board w/pp

Cancer Merchant
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Live 3/6. SB is a solid, but underaggressive player.

Hero is button 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1, MP2, CO limp. Hero limps (mistake #1), SB, BB call.
6 to flop for 6 SB.

Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to Hero, Hero bets, SB, MP2, CO call.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to Hero, Hero bets, SB calls.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, Hero calls.

I just called, mostly on the possibility of the SB having an 8 for a higher FH. Is this a resonable read considering the action? Why wouldn't an 8 bet the flop?

W. Deranged
07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
1. Be careful of asking questions like "why wouldn't an 8 bet the flop?" Your opponents may be weird/dumb/tricky and not play like you.

2. Many opponents are pretty passive and will not bet or raise with seemingly obvious hands because they are afraid of some hand that beats them. Here, villain may well have check-called an 8 all the way down in fear of a 4, but got confident when the 3rd 4 dropped, decreasing the chance you have one in your hand. This is reasoning I'll here thrown around relatively often in live games.

3. Other than the pre-flop decision, where a raise in position probably will be best, you played the hand as well as could be hoped before the river.

4. The river decision is highly read dependent. Think about ranges of hands your opponent could have. Some representative ranges:

Only hands with a 4, 8, or higher pocket pair.

Hands with a 4 or other pair (2, 8, or pocket pair)

Hands with a 4, a pair, or certain A hands.

Hands with a 4, a pair, A high, or a pure bluff.

Given the read you have of opponent as "solid," you may be able to assume the likelihood of a bluff or A high type hand is pretty low. A smaller pocket pair is not that likely with so many low cards out and the fact that a baby pair *might* have put on a little more pressure earlier. My guess is that you will be ahead certainly enough to call here, but against this type of opponent a raise might be a little risky because you will need to be confidently ahead 55% of the time WHEN CALLED or so (remember the possibility of a three-bet) and most reasonable ranges don't put you ahead that often.

So a river call is probably fine against given opponent. Aganist a loose/aggro. opponent who would often bet a 2 or A high, and who would call a raise with those hands a raise might be in order, but my guess is usually it's not.

mikeyvegas
07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I play all streets the same.

krimson
07-26-2005, 03:39 PM
My instinct is that he is betting an Ace, possibly Ad hence the chase. This wouldn't make a raise here correct however as he will likely fold worse hands and raise better ones. A call is good.

Cancer Merchant
07-26-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My instinct is that he is betting an Ace, possibly Ad hence the chase. This wouldn't make a raise here correct however as he will likely fold worse hands and raise better ones. A call is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB turned over J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the turned flush.
I assume his river bet was an attempt to push
me off a 2 or a small-mid PP, which failed. I was
going to call down even if the last 4 did not come.

callmedonnie
07-26-2005, 06:15 PM
I think I do the same thing in this spot. I hate when I lead into passive players and they just check/call all the way until the lead on river. It just sort of makes me feel used, but they're the players that lose lots of bets on their good hands, and let you hit your draws cheap, so god bless them.