PDA

View Full Version : playing online

07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
hello all. im new i dont want to sound stupid, lame or gay by saying this but i do have some questions. I play on absolute poker, or i did play on absolute poker. Im not going to say they rig decks or whatever but it does seem to me that a lot of times there are 4 of the same suit on the board, something that rarely happens in real life. I was wondering what site you all use that seems to be very reliable and theres no suspicion of rigging.

Zetack
07-26-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hello all. im new i dont want to sound stupid, lame or gay by saying this but i do have some questions. I play on absolute poker, or i did play on absolute poker. Im not going to say they rig decks or whatever but it does seem to me that a lot of times there are 4 of the same suit on the board, something that rarely happens in real life. I was wondering what site you all use that seems to be very reliable and theres no suspicion of rigging.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, the problem is that this statement simply isn't true.

Ok, but fine if you want some sites that there's no rigging going on:

PokerStars
Party Poker and Skins
Ultimate Bet

And... oh yeah... Absolute Poker.

--Zetack

bttomb
07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
You probably see these types of hands because you play many more hands online perhaps...

jba
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from pokerstove:
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 50.0000 % 02.17% 47.83% { AcAd }
Hand 2: 50.0000 % 02.17% 47.83% { AhAs }

4.34% of the time one of these hands will actually win. the only way that happens is with a four flush.

so about 1/25 times you will see a four flush. because online is much much faster than live, you will see it a lot more often PER HOUR, but you will still see it .0434 times per hand no matter where you play*.

assuming poker isn't rigged, of course

dogmeat
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
You can prove this true or false, all by yourself. First, calculate the exact number of times this should happen in a square game. Then, sit and count every time it happens for a couple hundred hands. Chances are you will find that the number of times it happens is very close to the expected number of times it should happen. Honest.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

DemonDeac
07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
you prolbably only remember the times when 4 flushes seemed to come out alot, but not the times when they never came

its psychology

07-26-2005, 03:34 PM
is it true tho that u are safer playing tournaments rather than real money?

OrangeKing
07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Safer from what? If you're still asking about whether games are rigged, then at Absolute (and other sites mentioned) I wouldn't be concerned in either tournaments or ring games.

I remember reading an article about an online backgammon site that was told by members that doubles came up too often on the virtual dice. They tested and found they happened exactly as often as they should - (1 in 6). Many of the players still didn't believe it, even after some of them posted results that showed doubles happened just as often as they should.

The point? People just seem to be generally suspisious of electronic substitutes for dice/cards/whatever, even if they're provided with more than enough evidence to show they shouldn't be.

Zetack
07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into a player at a live game a couple of weeks ago who was very insistent that tourneys on line were completely legit, because the site has no incentive to rig the cards, but that the ring games were rigged to maximize action and rake. He could not be dissuaded from this view.

I was very amused.

But apparently his is not an isolated belief.

--Zetack