PDA

View Full Version : That's just poker

07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Micro-limit last night. Camping out waiting for my cards. Finally got TT (by far the best I'd seen in an hour). Everyone was limping in, so I raised. Two short stacks (who were playing crazy) went all in. I knew the crazy guys didn't have anything so I called. Big-blind called.

Flop came 864 rainbow. I should have checked, but decided to go all-in to get the bb to fold (overbet on the pot). BB called...at which point I figured he'd trapped me with a large pair.

4th st - 8
5th st - 6

Turns out my TT was up against 86o, 86o, and 64s (bb). Everyone made a house but me. Short stacks split main pot, bb got the rest. Wheew! But that's just poker!

On the flip side: Last Thursday in a sng I was getting honked off at the aggressive guy to my right. He was constantly stealing blinds. Someone would call or raise and he'd hammer a big re-raise. Other players would fold. After doing this about 10 times within a short time span, I'd had enough.

The next time he did a big re-raise, I came back at him with another re-raise. He re-raised me, so I went all in on him. Ooooops! That 23o I was holding was looking at KK. Well, no one to blame but myself. My own foolish play.

Flop came Q92. Fourth -7. Fifth -3. MIRACLE! Knocked noxious guy out and instantly became the hero of the table.

So I remind myself that I can't really complain about bad beats when I'm on the winning side occasionally.

After all, that's just poker.

Intent
07-26-2005, 12:24 PM
How many 6's are in this deck? I'm counting 5 /images/graemlins/confused.gif

XXXNoahXXX
07-26-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes craaaazy things like this happen. But hey, that's just poker.

07-26-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought BB had a house too, but I must have been mistaken. Now its gonna bug me.. what the heck did he HAVE?!

Hold on.... I DO have it down here somewhere.

TT, 86o, 86o, 57s.

Big blind was 57s. Sheeze, if I can't follow a line of numbers to the right, i've got no business putting real $$ on the line

I officially nominate myself for 'tard of the week'.

Master5hake
07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
what a CRAAAAAAZY story!!! I don't know whats crazier, the fact you made it up, or the fact that when making it up, you didn't even bother to check to see if it was possible with a standard 52 card deck, OR the fact that you thought if you went ahead and posted this story you fabricated that anyone would care or somehow benefit from reading this post -

what was your motivation for posting this??

jman220
07-26-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Micro-limit last night. Camping out waiting for my cards. Finally got TT (by far the best I'd seen in an hour). Everyone was limping in, so I raised. Two short stacks (who were playing crazy) went all in. I knew the crazy guys didn't have anything so I called. Big-blind called.

Flop came 864 rainbow. I should have checked, but decided to go all-in to get the bb to fold (overbet on the pot). BB called...at which point I figured he'd trapped me with a large pair.

4th st - 8
5th st - 6

Turns out my TT was up against 86o, 86o, and 64s (bb). Everyone made a house but me. Short stacks split main pot, bb got the rest. Wheew! But that's just poker!

On the flip side: Last Thursday in a sng I was getting honked off at the aggressive guy to my right. He was constantly stealing blinds. Someone would call or raise and he'd hammer a big re-raise. Other players would fold. After doing this about 10 times within a short time span, I'd had enough.

The next time he did a big re-raise, I came back at him with another re-raise. He re-raised me, so I went all in on him. Ooooops! That 23o I was holding was looking at KK. Well, no one to blame but myself. My own foolish play.

Flop came Q92. Fourth -7. Fifth -3. MIRACLE! Knocked noxious guy out and instantly became the hero of the table.

So I remind myself that I can't really complain about bad beats when I'm on the winning side occasionally.

After all, that's just poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't post bad beats. You will not get sympathy.

EStreet20
07-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey man don't take offense to this as I've had some shitty pos ts in my day but honestly, look at your post and think about whether of nor it actually contributes at all to the forum. Ok, now say to yourself, "I promise my next post will be of some value," as a mantra for the next few weeks.

Good luck,
Matt

P.S. If you were posting the second hand looking for advice and not as some anecdote for, "that's poker", then here's some. You suck, stop wasting your money.

07-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Hey 12 yo, hasn't school started up yet?

07-27-2005, 12:09 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

Don't post bad beats. You will not get sympathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't looking for any. If you read the whole thing, you'd see that one was a bad beat, and one was a good beat.

Although I'll take estreet's advice and not pollute the forum if there's already too many similar posts.

07-27-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. If you were posting the second hand looking for advice and not as some anecdote for, "that's poker", then here's some. You suck, stop wasting your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, reading some of the other threads, it looks like "you suck" is the typical response to 9 out of 10 questions people ask here. I'm not sure what value those clever replies are 'contributing to the forum', but I take your main point of "don't pollute the forum with worthless new threads."

poker-penguin
07-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, telling people who suck that they suck is adding value to the forums. It informs them, that, in the considered opinion of the poster, they suck. What they do with that information is up to them, but at least we've tried to warn them.

Telling people who don't suck that they suck is also useful sometimes (it keeps their ego in check, and suggests that their play might not have been optimal).

Basically, all the regulars here have experienced worse beats for more money / BB and we really don't care any more. Hell, some of us barely care when it happens to US any more, so we're defiantely not going to give out smypathy. It seems that every new poster starts a new thread (often in the wrong forum) along the lines of "LOL OMG WTF online poker is RIggED - some guy beat my AK with 22!!!!11!!" it gets old.

Good to see you've learned. As a rule of thumb, the less threads someone starts compared to other posts, the better a poster they are. There are obvious exceptions, but in general I think I'm right.

07-27-2005, 12:33 PM
lol

OK penguin. Lesson learned. Play through the bad cards and whine less /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EStreet20
07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Donor,

I will take a more constructive criticism approach this time about that second hand rather than just telling you that you suck. First off, the play you made was the worst play I've ever seen, by far, no one who's reraised is laying down in that spot. No matter what you see Gus Hansen do on the WPT you should never, EVER try BS like that. Some more advice, read the appropriate forums, IE if you like tourneys read the tourney forums and get some books on the game. however if you're going to keep try to make "stone cold bluffs" etc then I stand by my original "you suck and you're wasting money".

Also, I am included in the never ending list of people who've lost way mor emoney to bad beats than you and I honestly have become completely desensitized to it. Play within your BR and you will too. If you never gain the ability to laugh it off when a crazy beat occurs then you will find yourself a very tilt-prone, losing poker player. On top of that never EVER post a bad beat here or you'll take tons of abuse.

And last, don't let the abuse you've taken get to you, but keep posting just make them posts that you, and we, can learn from. We all took some abuse early on, hell sometimes I still do, as I know I'm not as savvy as most players here, just don't get a defensive, wiseass attitude, just politely explain that you're here to learn and you'd appreciate serious feedback on your posts.

Good luck,
Matt