PDA

View Full Version : **Discovery Countdown**

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 10:16 AM
ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR LAUNCH!!!!!!!!!!

DemonDeac
07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
are u still riding the sleeping pill and oxycotin was it??

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR LAUNCH!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be watching with fingers crossed. Drudge had an article indicating that chances for disaster as pegged by NASA is 1 in 100. Let's hope this one goes off without a hitch or we'll have to ditch the space station and forget further space endeavors for a long while.

mslif
07-26-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

with none other than GRANDMA!

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

with none other than GRANDMA!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, ya i'm still riding it (actually it was hydrocodone, i think it's the generic for vicodin). My head is really cloudy and i want sleep, but i gotta see this thing take off

ceyoung
07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
im watching it live on yahoo. pretty good stuff.

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I know nothing about it's mission. What are they planning on doing while up in space?

DemonDeac
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about it's mission. What are they planning on doing while up in space?

[/ QUOTE ]

12 day mission to resupply space station

-Skeme-
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
11,000MPH, unreal.

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're also going to be testing various diagnostic and repair capabilities for the shuttle itself in an effort to detect issues created by launch like the wing damage from the last disaster.

DemonDeac
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're also going to be testing various diagnostic and repair capabilities for the shuttle itself in an effort to detect issues created by launch like the wing damage from the last disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

that too

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, I'm glad everything appeared to go well during launch. Of course, nobody at NASA (or Lockheed Martin, who builds the external tank, among other things, and was responsible for fixing the problem that doomed the Columbia) will be able to relax for 12 more days. It's looking good so far, though.

When I went to New Orleans a few months ago to work for Lockheed, I thought I was going there to work on the external tank (I was going to work at the same facility where they build it and my company did send 4 or 5 people there to work on it right after the Columbia disaster). I'm glad I ended up working on something else while I was there, though, because the last few months (more than that, actually) have been hell trying to get this thing back into space.

Shajen
07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
You done scienced the rocket good son.

IronDragon1
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OCEX.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Drudge is reporting that debris was spotted falling from Discovery's fuel tank. They'll be checking the pics and the shuttle crew will be using a new boom to inspect wing edges, tile areas, and other important surfaces.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drudge is reporting that debris was spotted falling from Discovery's fuel tank. They'll be checking the pics and the shuttle crew will be using a new boom to inspect wing edges, tile areas, and other important surfaces.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they were showing slow-mo video on the news a while after launch and just in the short time they showed, it was clear that at least 3 or 4 pieces of debris fell off. The particular pieces they showed looked innocent enough, but there definitely was something. For the record, there's debris like this on every mission.

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah I've always wondered about the debris on every mission. So many things have to be done so perfectly, so many complicated systems have to operate exactly the way they were intended to. Yet stuff still just flies off the tanks and orbiter in a random fashion.

Brings to mind the old adage, we can put a man on the moon but we can't shrink wrap small electronics in a material that won't cut my effin jugular vein.

Creole
07-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Everyone here at the Michoud Assembly Facility is talking about what this piece of debris could be. It seems to be about 2min into the flight.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/creole10/debris.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
You seriously work at MAF? I just got done working there for about 3 months. I assume you're in ET? Are you an engineer (or other office worker), or are you out in the factory?

Creole
07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm in quality here. Been here about a year and a half. Lots of talk going on this afternoon about what may be the ice frost ramp aft the bipod tearing free from around the feeline.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in quality here. Been here about a year and a half. Lots of talk going on this afternoon about what may be the ice frost ramp aft the bipod tearing free from around the feeline.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet it's crazy there today. I was there working on Falcon, which I'm actually glad I didn't get put on ET - what a mess.

Shajen
07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of talk going on this afternoon about what may be the ice frost ramp aft the bipod tearing free from around the feeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...wow.

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/1864/headasplode4dk.gif

Sometimes you guys make me feel [censored] dumb.

touchfaith
07-27-2005, 07:03 PM
So now they are saying that they must perform repairs on the tile damage and have officially ground future flights...

*siiighhh*

WTF are these people doing? If you can't do this [censored] successfully, SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE.

Why the [censored] do we even need to go to space again? To perform research for future science classes that will not exist due to lack of funding?

Idiots.

mmbt0ne
07-27-2005, 07:06 PM
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts114/050726images/bird.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So now they are saying that they must perform repairs on the tile damage and have officially ground future flights...

*siiighhh*

WTF are these people doing? If you can't do this [censored] successfully, SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE.

Why the [censored] do we even need to go to space again? To perform research for future science classes that will not exist due to lack of funding?

Idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
NASA is accomplishing more than you even know. Plus, we are starting on the successor to the Space Shuttle. It's called the CEV, or Crew Exploration Vehicle. Variations on this vehicle are what will be the next vehicle to take us back to The Moon and, some dreamers say, Mars. Hopefully, Lockheed wins the contract for this bad boy - it'll keep me and my company in contracts in Denver for years.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Exploration_Vehicle)

touchfaith
07-27-2005, 08:05 PM
That's all fine and dandy and I hope for the people involved, it is successful.

But it seems that they can't even launch this hunk of junk without things 'falling off' it.

If they are going to spend all this [censored] money on this thing and cant even keep things from falling off, they need to seriously re-think priorities.

Hmmm, fund some schools or some other important item or strap a rocket to someones ass...

I dunno, maybe they are still scared of the Russians beating them to wasting money on Mars.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
The thing is that debris falls off of the Space Shuttle and other launch vehicles on almost every launch. It's just that people are all of a sudden hypersensitive to it since Columbia. I doubt anything I can say will change your mind, but NASA has more impact on your daily life than you know. It's more than just pie-in-the-sky science missions and ego-boosting trips to The Moon. Things that you take for granted, such as cordless drills, batteries, satellite(!) television and other communications, weather prediction, among many, many other things (TANG!) are direct biproducts of America's space program.

The Space Shuttle is one helluva complex machine doing one helluva complicated mission. It's the most complex piece of machinery ever known to man - and by a long shot. It's hard to comprehend all that goes into the development and flight of The Space Shuttle. You wouldn't believe how complicated just the external fuel tank is - it's just the damned fuel tank, but it takes a huge effort to design and build it. It's by no means a hunk of junk. That said, it is 1970's technology and it's time for it to be replaced. I believe the plan is for it to be retired some time around 2010-2014 and replaced by the CEV in 2014. My personal opinion is that's a bit of a quick schedule to develop the CEV, but I guess we'll have to see.

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Besides TANG, would we really miss those other items? Lets not forget that sending up satellites for TV and weather do not require manned missions to space.

I have not problem with us going to space. The big problem is when we do these things 'just to do them'. All of the experiments that have procuced worthwhile items could easily have been performed without the space shuttle.

But, for some reason, we have this fixation on being able to 'drive the thing home' (Even though you can bearly drive the flying brick). Why? What is wrong with the freaking capsule? It is tried and tested and I believe...it has yet to have failed.

1 billion dollars they spent tring to fix this damn problem and once again, the elmers glue they use to hold this thing together...fails.

I want my money back.

PokerBob
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides TANG, would we really miss those other items? Lets not forget that sending up satellites for TV and weather do not require manned missions to space.

I have not problem with us going to space. The big problem is when we do these things 'just to do them'. All of the experiments that have procuced worthwhile items could easily have been performed without the space shuttle.

But, for some reason, we have this fixation on being able to 'drive the thing home' (Even though you can bearly drive the flying brick). Why? What is wrong with the freaking capsule? It is tried and tested and I believe...it has yet to have failed.

1 billion dollars they spent tring to fix this damn problem and once again, the elmers glue they use to hold this thing together...fails.

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you any idea how many discoveries in the world have been made simply because someone did something for the hell of it? Clearly, you don't, or you wound't have such an attitude.

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you any idea how many discoveries in the world have been made simply because someone did something for the hell of it? Clearly, you don't, or you wound't have such an attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't have to spend $1bil to 'tweak' their inventions.

And...They didn't try to reinvent the wheel. We know how to go to space. We know how to come back. Need more room for experiments? Build a bigger capsule.

No, we need to look cool in space with our little toy that opens and retracts and spins and bla bla bla. Why?

kdotsky
07-28-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The big problem is when we do these things 'just to do them'. All of the experiments that have procuced worthwhile items could easily have been performed without the space shuttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true at all. Most of the innovations resulting from the space program were discovered in the process and wouldn't have been discovered otherwise. People would create new technology needed for the program and then realize its applications in other areas.

If the only purpose of the program was really just because it's neat to send stuff to space, it definitely wouldn't still be going on.

If everyone took your perspective on this, we would never have new technology, and we'd be much less developed today. Ever used a cell phone?

WackityWhiz
07-28-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's all fine and dandy and I hope for the people involved, it is successful.

But it seems that they can't even launch this hunk of junk without things 'falling off' it.

If they are going to spend all this [censored] money on this thing and cant even keep things from falling off, they need to seriously re-think priorities.

Hmmm, fund some schools or some other important item or strap a rocket to someones ass...

I dunno, maybe they are still scared of the Russians beating them to wasting money on Mars.

[/ QUOTE ]

practice makes perfect man. The program hasn't been around all that long and it's not surprising that they still have complications. There are so many things that we don't know about outer space that it's worth taking all this money and trying to get this thing right. Who knows, there could be something out there that, when you're 70, will save your life.

ya never know

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm sick of the 'inventions' arguement.

Someone find me a list of things there were invented on the shuttle that could not have been invented in a station/capsule senerio.

And don't give me your 'retractable space arm' bs, since the only reason we have that is to repair the piece of crap shuttle. (tell me repairing satelites is cheaper then replaceing them and you are auto-DISQUALIFIED!)

kdotsky
07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick of the 'inventions' arguement.

Someone find me a list of things there were invented on the shuttle that could not have been invented in a station/capsule senerio.

And don't give me your 'retractable space arm' bs, since the only reason we have that is to repair the piece of crap shuttle. (tell me repairing satelites is cheaper then replaceing them and you are auto-DISQUALIFIED!)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing what I said. Of course nothing was invented ON the shuttle that couldn't be invented elsewhere. My point was that the development of products used in the space program caused the creation of technologies used elsewhere that would either not have been though of or the technology didn't exist yet.

It's similar to any research area. The goal of the research my have no practical application, but along the way you discover things that do have practical applications. Here is a small list of byproducts of the space program. And yes, it's possible they could have been invented without a spaceprogram... but they weren't, and there's a reason for that.

TV Satellite Dish
NASA developed ways to correct errors in the signals coming from the spacecraft. This technology is used to reduce noise (that is, messed up picture or sound) in TV signals coming from satellites.

Medical Imaging
NASA developed ways to process signals from spacecraft to produce clearer images. (See more on digital information and how spacecraft send images from space.) This technology also makes possible these photo-like images of our insides.

Bar Coding
Originally developed to help NASA keep track of millions of spacecraft parts, bar-coding is now used by almost everybody who sells things to keep track of how much of what is sold and how much of what is left.

Vision Screening System
Uses techniques developed for processing space pictures to examine eyes of children and find out quickly if they have any vision problems. The child doesn't have to say a word!

Ear Thermometer
Instead of measuring temperature using a column of mercury (which expands as it heats up), this thermometer has a lens like a camera and detects infrared energy, which we feel as heat. The warmer something is (like your body), the more infrared energy it puts out. This technology was originally developed to detect the birth of stars.

Fire Fighter Equipment
Fire fighters wear suits made of fire resistant fabric developed for use in space suits.

Smoke Detector
First used in the Earth orbiting space station called Skylab (launched back in 1973) to help detect any toxic vapors. Now used in most homes and other buildings to warn people of fire.

Sun Tiger Glasses
From research done on materials to protect the eyes of welders working on spacecraft, protective lenses were developed that block almost all the wavelengths of radiation that might harm the eyes, while letting through all the useful wavelengths that let us see.

Automobile Design Tools
A computer program developed by NASA to analyze a spacecraft or airplane design and predict how parts will perform is now used to help design automobiles. This kind of software can save car makers a lot of money by letting them see how well a design will work even before they build a prototype.

Cordless Tools
Portable, self-contained power tools were originally developed to help Apollo astronauts drill for moon samples. This technology has lead to development of such tools as the cordless vacuum cleaner, power drill, shrub trimmers, and grass shears.

Aerodynamic Bicycle Wheel
A special bike wheel uses NASA research in airfoils (wings) and design software developed for the space program. The three spokes on the wheel act like wings, making the bicycle very efficient for racing.

Thermal Gloves and Boots
These gloves and boots have heating elements that run on rechargeable batteries worn on the inside wrist of the gloves or embedded in the sole of the ski boot. This technology was adapted from a spacesuit design for the Apollo astronauts.

Space Pens
The Fisher Space Pen was developed for use in space. Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow into the ball point. For this space pen, the ink cartridge contains pressured gas to push the ink toward the ball point. That means, you can lie in bed and write upside down with this pen! Also, it uses a special ink that works in very hot and very cold environments.

Shock Absorbing Helmets
These special football helmets use a padding of Temper Foam, a shock absorbing material first developed for use in aircraft seats. These helmets have three times the shock absorbing ability of previous types.

Ski Boots
These ski boots use accordion-like folds, similar to the design of space suits, to allow the boot to flex without distortion, yet still give support and control for precision skiing.

Failsafe Flashlight
This flashlight uses NASA's concept of system redundancy, which is always having a backup for the parts of the spacecraft with the most important jobs. This flashlight has an extra-bright primary bulb and an independent backup system that has its own separate lithium battery (also a NASA developed technology) and its own bulb.

Invisible Braces
These teeth-straightening braces use brackets that are made of a nearly invisible translucent (almost see-through) ceramic material. This material is a spinoff of NASA's advanced ceramic research to develop new, tough materials for spacecraft and aircraft.

Edible Toothpaste
This is a special foamless toothpaste developed for the astronauts to use in space (where spitting is not a very good idea!) Although this would be a great first toothpaste for small children, it is no longer available.

Joystick Controllers
Joystick controllers are used for lots of things now, including computer games and vehicles for people with disabilities. These devices evolved from research to develop a controller for the Apollo Lunar Rover, and from other NASA research into how humans actually operate (called "human factors").

Advanced Plastics
Spacecraft and other electronics need very special, low-cost materials as the base for printed circuits (like those inside your computer). Some of these "liquid crystal polymers" have turned out to be very good, low-cost materials for making containers for foods and beverages.

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
These, as you mention, are a result of the space program, not the shuttle program.

Tell me why we need the shuttle.

razor
07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These, as you mention, are a result of the space program, not the shuttle program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone had to be 51... Congrats!

kdotsky
07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one I was arguing more with this, which asks why we should go to space in general and mentions nothing of the shuttle:

[ QUOTE ]

Idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you no longer agree with that and just think the shuttle program should be scrapped. As for that... because the creation of the shuttle program creates byproducts just like the rest of the space program did. Also, I'm not going to dig up figures but I do think the shuttle is significantly cheaper per mission than the original rocket/capsule system, which was its purpose.

Asking why we would build the shuttle is kind of silly I think. It'd be like people in 1920 asking why anyone should spend money to try and build better cars. They did their job well and were far superior to horse and wagons... Like I said before, if everyone took your point of view we would never advance on any technologies.

And by the way, they are scrapping the shuttle program, and are going to replace it with something you probably think is even more pointless and ridiculous.

touchfaith
07-28-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For one I was arguing more with this, which asks why we should go to space in general and mentions nothing of the shuttle:

[ QUOTE ]

Idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you no longer agree with that and just think the shuttle program should be scrapped. As for that... because the creation of the shuttle program creates byproducts just like the rest of the space program did. Also, I'm not going to dig up figures but I do think the shuttle is significantly cheaper per mission than the original rocket/capsule system, which was its purpose.

Asking why we would build the shuttle is kind of silly I think. It'd be like people in 1920 asking why anyone should spend money to try and build better cars. They did their job well and were far superior to horse and wagons... Like I said before, if everyone took your point of view we would never advance on any technologies.

And by the way, they are scrapping the shuttle program, and are going to replace it with something you probably think is even more pointless and ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason the shuttle was billed as more cost effective is because it is reusable.

I'm guessing that if they blow up, they cannot be reused.

Also, if we cannot perfect the shuttle or the parts that go into it and need to spend a billion dollars scratching our heads to figure out why, what makes you think they can perfect the next generation of shuttles?

I have no problems with space exploration in general, but I have a problem spending billions of dollars developing different ways to do something we already know how to do.

People developed better cars because they are something that is used everyday in all walks of life.