PDA

View Full Version : debatable plays I make only because opponents are new to me

Wynton
07-26-2005, 09:08 AM
I just noticed some habits, probably bad, that I've fallen into on the rationale that I just sat down, or an opponent just sat down, and I want some info.

For example, I'm in the sb and the player in the bb is playing his first hand. It's folded to me. I find myself just completing, because I want to know whether the bb will let me get away with this in the future, and I imagine that such information may tell me whether he's generally aggressive.

Here's another situation. It's my first hand, and I'm in bb. It's folded to the sb, who raises me. I call with virtually anything because I don't want my opponent to think I'm easy to steal from in that situation. Perhaps that's ok. But then if he bets out on the flop, I often raise to test him, regardless of the flop (just about). Again, I'm doing this mostly in the hope of getting a general read on the player.

Are these bad habits?

And do any of you have similar routines, i.e., plays you might make when you are new (or an opponent is new) to the table, but you would not make otherwise?

Nietzsche
07-26-2005, 09:17 AM
I think you need to stop doing both of those things. It is just too expensive. You want to play HU against someone when you have information about them and not pay to get that information. Why not wait a few orbits and then use your superior skills and reads against them.

I hate completing in the SB - you give the opponent way too much edge IMO, especially when you know nothing about him.

Raising the SB on the flop no matter what you have when you are in the BB is player dependant, so again, I would wait for information before pulling these plays.

Tropex
07-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Folding to a raise (in BB) might also give your opponent a picture of you which you can abuse in the future. He knows you're capable of tossing away shitty hands to raise and when you call or reraise, it should scare him. Then again, many players aren't that observant ;P

Bluffoon
07-26-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding to a raise (in BB) might also give your opponent a picture of you which you can abuse in the future. He knows you're capable of tossing away shitty hands to raise and when you call or reraise, it should scare him. Then again, many players aren't that observant ;P

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is better to let circumstances define your image and then use that image to your advantage.

Wynton
07-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I think these are bad plays. Let me ask about one more move I get tempted to do.

Again, it's my first hand, I'm in bb. All fold to sb, who just completes. I find myself tempted to raise this with a wider variety of hands than I would against someone who's been at table for a while. In this case, I'm not doing it to get information from the player, but to present an aggressive image.

Any logic to this, or does it amount to spewing?

Derek in NYC
07-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I would do the first, but not the second of your habits.

EvanJC
07-26-2005, 01:12 PM
i don't think either of these is particularly bad. completing from the sb for information might be a leak but taking an unknown to the shed for raising your BB is a win/win in my eyes. you either a) win the hand or b) give yourself a LAG image and get a read on SB.

toffer
07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Again, it's my first hand, I'm in bb. All fold to sb, who just completes. I find myself tempted to raise this with a wider variety of hands than I would against someone who's been at table for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in others' thoughts here, since I'll raise almost any hand in this situation. I think it's worth discouraging people from limping in against you...it's much better if they learn to fold their marginal hands in the SB.

Of course, I also defend the BB against a SB open raise with almost anything. I figure getting 3:1 with position makes it worthwhile, but it's possible I get a little carried away sometimes...