PDA

View Full Version : heads up vs MANIAC

jfresh
07-26-2005, 07:36 AM
so i just played the craziest heads up game i've ever played in my life. for the first half hour or hour, this guy put me on insane tilt, as he hit two outer after two outer on me. if his stats were in pokertracker, he'd literally be a 100/90/20+ (vpip, pfr, aggression) if i wanted to, every hand could be capped preflop. this is at bodog too, so HU its a 7bet cap i think.

there were 2 hands where i WASN'T the one who stopped raising. we played for ~2hours.

on the flop, turn and river, he'd literally bet EVERYtime i checked to him. he'd call if he didn't have top or middle pair; if he did, the betting would probably be capped. maybe 5% of the hands he folded before we got to the river.

anyway, maybe it was due to the fact he got runner runner, two outers, and tilted me for a bit, but i found him pretty hard to play against. he would never ever fold, so raising for anything but value was a waste. what kind of strategy would you play against a person like this?

i basically started limping with almost everything (calling his guaranteed-raise preflop), and playing fit or fold on the flop. called him down a few times with A and K high, but lost about as many as i won. checkraised him on the turn if i had middle or top pair.

preflop, do we cap all tier 1 and 2 hands, because they will almost always be the better hand preflop? Is there any value putting in raises with something such as A9s/o, KTs/o, suited connectors? remember these hands are almost 100% going to the river with a bet going in on every street.

Mig
07-26-2005, 07:45 AM
I played someone like that a few days ago. It was such a pain to deal. I was auto mucking preflop a lot of hands just to keep my high showdown hands. Basically I always had better starting hands than him. He was capping preflop as low as 45s. YOu just can'T read him. I was auto calling to showdown with K-high or any pair since he could easily be betting a worse hand. I got raped. I mean he never folded anything and he was always pairing which pissed me quite a lot. All my A9+/pockets have been beaten by worse hands /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Anyway that's the only headsup I lost that day out of 12 or so ...

cartman
07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Deception has no place against this guy. It is a pure value game. No semibluffs, no free card plays, no moves period. Grab your ankles and prepare for some HUGE variance.

1)I would cap every Ace high or pair preflop.
2)I would never fold Ace high or better postflop
3)With Ace high or my weakest pairs I would probably just call down.
4)With middle pair or higher I would start piling the chips in on him right on the flop often capping every round with top pair no kicker.
5)Play my draws passively.

Cartman