PDA

View Full Version : Crystal meth more popular than weed?

clutch
07-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Some new study says that crystal meth is currently the most popular/prevalent recreational drug in the US? I heard it on one of the network news shows last night. I don't know which one and don't know where the study came from. I'd just like to know if some of you kids out there who are still part of the drug culture find this to be a true statement.

If this is actually the case, god help us all.

billyjex
07-26-2005, 07:31 AM
this is not true. i know very few people who have even tried meth. everyone i know has tried weed, and many do it on a regular basis.

this is from a college student.

whiskeytown
07-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Meth is the scourge of choice for Rural America -

We have a meth epidemic in NW Montana that blows me away - when I left it was keggers on the weekend - now they gotta sell sudafed from behind the counter...

pretty damn sad...not sure it's bigger then weed, but I'd be willing to bet among younger kids, it's definately the biggest.....

RB

07-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Heavy meth use makes people look like zombies. It's disgusting. What's even more disgusting is when these freaks set up their little labs in hotel rooms and innocent people die.

dibbs
07-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Not very accurate, but I remember reading recently that really just a large population of this country have tried and a very, very large amount are recreational herb smokers. I doubt crystal meth could surpass this, but as I understand, and as whiskey stated, in more rural areas of the country this stuff is extremely popular.

Was at a game the other night hanging around waiting for our ride to finish up and decided to eye the 5/10 game for a minute, my buddy subtley pointed out one of the players who he knew had pretty much made his living the past decade being a cook and blowing up basements.

He fell asleap during a hand twice within the 25 minutes I was watching. I guess he was out of stuff.

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Meth is nasty stuff, no doubt. There have been a few large studies recently which queried the LEO and Justice communities on the big issues. Both studies I saw were indicating that Meth was the largest issue for LEOs by a large margin.

I know our legislature has already taken that first step to the supply issue. We will have limits on cold meds, need to show ID, and sign a log book to get them. I read that Wisconsin was considering whether to require a prescription for this stuff.

I suspect the crime wave will push into distribution next. Trucks of Sudafed getting hi-jacked and smugglers running boarders with the cold meds.

mason55
07-26-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is not true. i know very few people who have even tried meth. everyone i know has tried weed, and many do it on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

and why do you think you know anything about nationwide meth use? i don't know anyone that smokes crack, does this mean that no one does?

billyjex
07-26-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and why do you think you know anything about nationwide meth use? i don't know anyone that smokes crack, does this mean that no one does?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey dick head,

thats why i said this is from a college student. i don't know nationwide. but as well, you have to think this can't be true -- weed is just so much more accessible and easy for more people.

jakethebake
07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Probably an old study. I think I read where meth's popularity peaked in like 1990.

krazyace5
07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I think prescription pills are more popular than weed these days.

CCass
07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably an old study. I think I read where meth's popularity peaked in like 1990.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it is more prevelant than weed, but in this area (TN) the use of meth is at an all-time high. FWIW, meth is a stone cold killer. People that "dabble" in it will end up dead. All of the experts I have spoken with say that it is the most addictive drug they have ever seen.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
There is no way this is close to true. There have to be like 50 million people smoking weed in this country.

Cancer Merchant
07-26-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know our legislature has already taken that first step to the supply issue. We will have limits on cold meds, need to show ID, and sign a log book to get them. I read that Wisconsin was considering whether to require a prescription for this stuff.

I suspect the crime wave will push into distribution next. Trucks of Sudafed getting hi-jacked and smugglers running boarders with the cold meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, this is already happening. The raw material for Sudafed and other cold pills is being imported by meth cookers in Mexico. They either buy it at the store or divert it when it comes into the country. Finished Meth then moves north. See article. (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1117879721162450.xml&coll=7)

It seems that pharm companies are moving away from pseudoephedrine in the US, but who knows if that will help when if it's still available to drug labs internationally.

TheWorstPlayer
07-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I hear that meth is extremely prevalent in the homosexual community. An aunt of mine who is a social worker in the north east says that the percentage of homosexuals who have tried meth at least once is something around 85 or 90 percent. Insane.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Here in Denver, it's a big problem. Apparently, I-25 is a huge meth-running corridor and there's all kinds of meth-lab busts here all the time. My wife's company did Adopt A Highway and she went out and helped clean up last time. Before they went, they all had to be trained on what to do if you find stuff from a meth lab along the highway. They did find plenty of it, too.

SoSo
07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
weed is boring, atleast with crystal meth u go and get into fights, steal cars..you know fun stuff..

ChoicestHops
07-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Im in Arkansas, which is one of the top producer's of meth in the nation. And I can see from the demographic here that the study is not right. Almost everyone I know has smoked weed, but I havent met many people who are meth heads.

When you get to meth users it's trailor park people or rednecks, and when you get to ice users it's usually suburban people from what Ive seen.

jokerthief
07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I submit that everyone on this message board is too old to have any clue if this is true. I'm 25 and have an 18 year old nephew. When I was in HS meth was non-existant. In the last 18 months 80-85% of my nephew's friends have turned into full bore meth addicts. None of these kids smoke bud anymore--everything they have is put into getting meth. I wouldn't doubt that meth has overtaken bud in gross consumption, since meth addicts have to constantly get more and more to function. A heavy bud smoker can make due with a 1/4 ounce a week. There is probably more bud smokers but, individualy, they smoke much less quantity than meth addicts do.

BTW, 90% of the 80-85% of my nephew's friends have already destroyed their life via death, prison, and physical deformities. This shite is wicked bad.

PoBoy321
07-26-2005, 07:22 PM
What exactly is the difference between meth and ice?

Jules22
07-26-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely false. meth is getting more prevalent every day, and here in northern california it is reaching an epidemic status among the poor and uneducated

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
meth:
http://parangaricutirimicuaro.blogspot.com/tina-meth-pipe.jpg
ice:
http://blog.andreashalter.ch/uploads/media/011.jpg
They'll both [censored] you over.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, 90% of the 80-85% of my nephew's friends have already destroyed their life via death, prison, and physical deformities. This shite is wicked bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its this bad, I don't believe it is as widely used as marijuana. If meth was more prevailant than weed and ruined 90% of users lives, our country would literally be in shambles right now.

Benal
07-26-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
physical deformities

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

jokerthief
07-26-2005, 07:42 PM
These kids probably wouldn't represent an average meth user. They were a pretty hardcore group of guys. I've also known quite a few people who did it once and hated it. I think meth is a drug that will definetly fck you up if you like but most people can't handle it. I wouldn't think too many people would enjoy being awake for three straight days. It is really hard to believe that more people smoke meth than bud. Meth is just too hardcore for that to be true.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
physical deformities

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Physical Deformities (http://www.investigatemagazine.com/oct03meth.htm)

jokerthief
07-26-2005, 07:48 PM
One of the kid's teeth fell out, all of them.

James Boston
07-26-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 25 and have an 18 year old nephew. When I was in HS meth was non-existant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meth was most certainly around in the mid-late 90's. I think it's more popular now, but it's not new.

M2d
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Crystal meth (ice, batu, shabu, etc) was pretty popular n Hawaii in the late 80's/early 90's. I heard this was because the drug, in that form, came into the US from southeast asia and hawaii was the landing point.
the scary thing about it was that people on it felt that they were more productive, so many of the addicts were taking it for work enhancing reasons. lots of immigrant workers who worked double shifts or two jobs smoked it so that they could carry on. problem was they just felt more productive; they weren't.

it's also pretty damned addictive. there were stories about people who displayed some pretty creative methods of smoking the stuff. one guy rigged a wire coat hanger off of the rear view mirror of his car so that it held his pipe at lip level and allowed him to smoke (one hand on the lighter, one on the wheel) while driving.

Joshssj4
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
It gets worse day by day. It is slowly spreading from the east to the west. Crystal Meth is the most addictive drug our there, so the numbers will not decrease but only decrease until dramatic actions are taken to precent this.

miajag81
07-26-2005, 08:16 PM
The Germans (and to a lesser extent, other countries on both sides) were big on giving their soldiers meth to keep them awake during WWII.

M2d
07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
i think i read where the US did so as well. speed's also a big seller in major league baseball, especially on day games following night games (usually getaway day at the end of a series).
when it started blowing up in hawaii, they said that that form of the drug (crystals) was developed in the orient and that they liked the small airstrips on remote areas of the hawaiian islands as entry points into the US. iirc, 'batu' is the filipino name for the drug and 'shabu' is the korean name for it.

OrangeCat
07-26-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
physical deformities

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before and after pictures (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/photos/gallery.ssf?cgi-bin/view_gallery.cgi/olive/view_gallery.ata?g_id=2927)

Full story from Oregon newspaper (http://ehealth4teens.org/info/meth.php)

mason55
07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I submit that everyone on this message board is too old to have any clue if this is true. I'm 25 and have an 18 year old nephew. When I was in HS meth was non-existant. In the last 18 months 80-85% of my nephew's friends have turned into full bore meth addicts. None of these kids smoke bud anymore--everything they have is put into getting meth. I wouldn't doubt that meth has overtaken bud in gross consumption, since meth addicts have to constantly get more and more to function. A heavy bud smoker can make due with a 1/4 ounce a week. There is probably more bud smokers but, individualy, they smoke much less quantity than meth addicts do.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you start doing meth you stop smoking weed. You want to save your money for meth. Now, I don't believe that meth is more prevalent that weed, but I can see how it could be getting close.

If you have never lived in a rural area or don't know people that do meth (ie you're just a typical pot smoker) I can see how this would be hard to believe. But there are a LOT more meth users than the average person realizes.

HDPM
07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
yeah, but the dose they gave pilots etc... was maybe 5 mg. I think the average recreational dose is like 40 mg or something. Amphetamine psychosis has been around for a while and I think will get worse with the meth boom. Meth is a hideous drug. It is really impacting rural areas. Big problem is the permanent changes to the brain and a person's ability to feel pleasure again from anything but the drug. Very addictive and it has bad long term effects. Terrible drug. Talk to some mental health professionals in a small town near you with a meth problem.

07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
physical deformities

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before and after pictures (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/photos/gallery.ssf?cgi-bin/view_gallery.cgi/olive/view_gallery.ata?g_id=2927)

Full story from Oregon newspaper (http://ehealth4teens.org/info/meth.php)

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like one of the side effects is it makes you get a bad haircut.

ThaSaltCracka
07-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Meth is absolutely horrible on the west coast, with Oregon being one of the worst places for it. WA is bad as well in certain areas.

Recent MSN article on Meth (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8472940/)

[ QUOTE ]
The federal government still considers marijuana the top drug problem in the nation, citing a 2003 survey estimating 15 million people who had smoked marijuana over the last month, compared with 600,000 meth users over the previous month

[/ QUOTE ]

Meth is far greater a problem, but more people still smoke weed. I would stress that anyone who knows someone on meth, do whatever you can to help them get off of it ASAP. It is literally wrecking whole communities, and I think its impact will be even worse than that of crack's in the 80's.

But, atleast the Federal Government is starting to crack down on meth....

wacki
07-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Scientific paper (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T38-4FW7K7G-4&_user=10&_handle=V-WA-A-W-AZ-MsSAYVA-UUW-U-AAWVYCEYBB-AAWWVVUZBB-WVVEEYBUC-AZ-U&_fmt=summary&_coverDate=08%2F01%2F2005&_rdoc=4&_ orig=browse&_srch=%23toc%234940%232005%23999609996 %23600514!&_cdi=4940&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_vers ion=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bee3132ba7ba2b5 1537db869a9feee53)

Just an FYI.

1 single low dose of meth during pregnancy causes retarded babies in mice.

ThaSaltCracka
07-27-2005, 01:59 AM
you don't need to tell me. That [censored] is horrible man, it is literally ruining lives of thousands of people. I know that Meth hasn't really hit most of America all that hard. But when it does(because it will) it will be bad.

PITTM
07-27-2005, 02:03 AM
i have a medical marijuana license...my legitimate family doctor ive had for 15 years perscribed it to me after i tore all the ligaments in my shoulder for pain relief. i already smoked anyways though and i enjoy it to this day. its perfectly fine when used when all you want to do is relax, if i ever actually have time to relax anymore /images/graemlins/frown.gif. and no one i know has ever used meth. weird...

rj

ChipWrecked
07-27-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As crack is to cocaine, Ice is to meth.

From DEA website:

"Ice is a very pure, smokable form of methamphetamine that is more addictive than other forms of the substance..."

TheMainEvent
07-27-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't need to tell me. That [censored] is horrible man, it is literally ruining lives of thousands of people. I know that Meth hasn't really hit most of America all that hard. But when it does(because it will) it will be bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad stats:

Meth users in rehab have a relapse rate of 92%. 5 of 6 *never* permanently quit.

Dr. StrangeloveX
07-27-2005, 03:17 AM
My stepbrother said that he would rather smoke pot, but it's too expensive. So he does meth.

IMO, law enforcement should make a point of not actively seeking out sellers of pot, while at the same time really cracking down on sellers of meth. It's retarded that pot would be more expensive.

[censored]
07-27-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly compelling evidence.

[censored]
07-27-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here in Denver, it's a big problem. Apparently, I-25 is a huge meth-running corridor and there's all kinds of meth-lab busts here all the time. My wife's company did Adopt A Highway and she went out and helped clean up last time. Before they went, they all had to be trained on what to do if you find stuff from a meth lab along the highway. They did find plenty of it, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto in Oregon expect it's the I-5 this time.

jerome baker
07-27-2005, 04:03 AM
do you have a hard time finding pure sativa at your local store/

i believe lots of so call "sativa" are actually cross with indica.

DasLeben
07-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Meth is a terrible terrible drug, and has really shown up a lot in northern AZ. I hate to say it, but Prescott Valley (the town I live in) is a very active area for meth users. There are meth labs being busted all the time up here. It's terrible.