PDA

View Full Version : Rules interpretation on the freeze out format.......

07-26-2005, 02:11 AM
I just finished playing in a free tourny this evening in Athens, Ga. The NPPL runs these free tourny's and plays by the freeze out style of poker. While playing i encountered a situation which I believe I was right on but many including the tournement director for the evening disagreed with. Here's the situation....
I was the big blind with the blinds being 4,000 and 8,000. So for those that are unsure I put in 8,000. We had two players call the big blind and then it was the small blinds turn to act. The small blind raised all in for a total of 10,000.

This is were the situation occurs. I believe that all I have to do is call the 2,000 more in order to see the flop. The tourny director said I must call at least the amount of the big blind 8,000 more in order to see the flop. (for a total of 16,000 pre flop)

I had a garbage hand so I, even though disagreeing folded Q -2 off suite. The flop later turned out to be q-q-4, with nothing important on the turn and river. I would have won the hand, and became the dominating chip leader in the tourny with about 6 or 7 people left. My question is was I right or was I wrong to argue the situation.
I respect the tourny director but believe i was absolutely right to just having to call the 2,000 more. Any help on this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

07-26-2005, 02:40 AM
It is clear that the tournament director is not treating your blinds as "live". You have a valid argument if the blinds were live before this point in the tournament.

Zetack
07-26-2005, 01:25 PM
I've never played in a dead blind game, and I doubt this was one cause, really, who's playing that way?

So no, you should have been able to put in 2,000.

Edit: actually there's a real easy way to tell if the blinds were live...if the two limpers had to put in 2,000 more then the blinds were live. If the blinds were dead they wouldn't have to put in any more money because the all-in SB has not raised.

--Zetack