PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some insight

Fingulfin
07-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Alright, I just busted out 9th in a live NLH rebuy tournament. It wasn't a large field, but first place paid 500$ with only a 20$ buy in. From the start I did well, quickly doubling up when I flopped a set of 4s. I avoided costly hands while making sure I picked up the blinds every now and then (the blinds rose rapidly) - Going into the break I was chip leader overall with ~8000 in chips. Once again, I got a great start out of the break, knocking a player out when my QQ held up against AJ.

At this point, things slowed down considerably. I picked up the blinds every now and then, but I also lost a pot or two to short stacks going all in. When the time came for the final table I was at ~14k, which was 2nd. The chip leader had a monster stack, and I never was quite sure of how much he entered with. I estimated at ~30k (He had gone on a run and knocked several people out, forcing the tables to merge)

When I sat down at the final table, I found that the chip leader was 2 seats to my right and would be the starting BB. I fold the first hand I get, but the 2nd I pick up is
A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The blinds are 400/800. I am UTG, and the chip leader is SB. At this point, I am not quite sure how to play the hand. While I do have a good hand, my position could not be worse and the chip leader is already involved. On the other hand, just about everyone else at the table is hovering at ~6k in chips, which is only around half my stack. I raise 3k hoping to get some action from one of the short stacks. They all fold to the chip leader, however, who after a second, calls. I decide that if I don't hit the flop I will check/fold and get out of the hand -3.8k : The problem is, I hit the flop.

Flop - K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif x /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I decide the hand is now worht playing, and I raise another 3k. The chip leader thinks a bit, and then calls. I believe he has a heart draw, so I wait for the turn.

Turn - 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I am glad that it is not a heart. I raise 5k.

River - A /images/graemlins/club.gif

At this point the chip leader says "All in - wait, it's your turn" With a sick feeling in my stomach I go all in for my last 4k.

Chip leader turns over Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Any suggestions on how I could have played this hand better? What I did right, what I did wrong?

vicpanic
07-26-2005, 05:19 AM
bet more on the flop.

were there antes?

if he does call on the flop, theres no way hes folding for any amount on the turn.

07-26-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree. You bet less than half the pot on the flop. I don't go making bets that beg for calls with a flop like that (two to a straight and two to a flush).

KyleM
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
bet the pot on the flop and push the turn. don't let anybody draw out on you.

TheJackal
07-26-2005, 08:31 AM
It doesn't matter how much you bet on any street, he is calling you with this hand. Although I probably bet 2/3rds the pot on the flop, check the turn, and check/call or check/fold the river depending on how much he bets. I wouldn't be looking to play a big pot here.