PDA

View Full Version : Edge on pro players?

dmmikkel
07-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I know people might not want to share this, being -EV to tell their opponents how they play against them, but I'm curious to what pros do to get an edge on other pro players.

To start it off: I try to do some table/seat selection. And study how each pro play level 1-3 as on later stages most pros play about the same.

dmmikkel
07-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Guess no one wanted to make a -ev post :P plz delete

Matt R.
07-26-2005, 03:08 AM
I think one of the first rules for pros is to avoid other pros if at all possible, unless playing for fun obviously. It just cuts into their edge too much. There's really no way to get an edge on an equally skilled player... that would go against the definition of "equally skilled". To outplay them you'd have to out-think them. And if you can out-think them I'd say you're the better player.

Aside from all that (if you are slightly better), the only way to get any type of edge against a solid player is to study how they play... as you said. This basically just gives you reads, and assuming they don't get as good of a read on you, that's where you get your edge.

dmmikkel
07-26-2005, 03:15 AM
I mean, by only knowing that a person never raises without anything than a big pair and never limps without a lower pair in the early rounds is a huge advantage.

As for one player having an advantage over an equally skilled player thats very possible. Say one plays less tables than the other, or only one of them bothered to study their opponents to a certain degree.

They know just as much about strategy and are equally skilled, yet one has +ev on the other.

Edit: and at 109s and up you just cant avoid pros, but you can work to get an edge on them

Matt R.
07-26-2005, 03:36 AM
I don't think an "equally" good pro will simply not bother to study their opponent though. Part of being a good player is getting reads on your opponents, so when you stop caring to do that you're not as good as if you had. If they get lazy or something sure, but I don't think you can count on that for a consistent edge. And I don't think reducing the # of tables you play is an option for most "pros" just to get a slight edge on a couple players, as this is reducing their hourly rate.

But yes, I think you can get an edge. I just don't think you can say they're a better player than you are if you can get that edge.