PDA

View Full Version : Calling down with Idiot end of straight

Doc7
07-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm not going to bother posting an HH because i know you hate "good beat" posts.

I got 78s in MP3 (or whatever you call the one before the cutoff). Unraised pot, I called (I think 4 out of the 8 players were already in, and the ones behind me called). flop came 9 10 3. I had OESD. First to act Bet out, 3 callers and I also called. 4th street was a jack, not the 7 I'd rather have. Same person bet, I called it down with 2 other callers now. 5th street was a harmless 3, same person bet, 2 people in front of me folded, and I raised to 20 cents (this is .05/.10), he called, and auto-mucked when I showed the idiot straight.

Without reads, is calling down with an idiot straight and raising on the end going to be a bad play in the long run? I just sat down at the table, and don't have PT...The player in question seems to be playing about the same as the rest of the table, I am working on learning how to read players online without PT, which I will buy as soon as my poker profits (I make more offline than online currently) account for the 55 dollars I need for it. (Just recently spent almost my entire profits on a $40 chip set)

Anyway I was just wondering, as I settle into the long-run that is limit hold'em, if this is a long term loser or a decent play. Or is this a useless question without reads? It was only a 3-straight on the board so I was pretty sure I was good, but was raising really the smart thing to do with only idiot end?

Thanks if you can give any hints to this fish /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Doc7
07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Same question if i get a bad flush with 3 on the board...without reads how bad is calling down 1-bets going to be?

cfjr2
07-26-2005, 12:04 AM
i think i raise the flop for value if a 6 comes u have the nuts when the J comes you call down as you did

my 2 cents anyhow. (i'm fairly new so take I'd await further comment)