PDA

View Full Version : Flop decisions... (2)

adam74
07-25-2005, 09:27 PM
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 ($36.25)
MP1 ($24.50)
MP2 ($11.75)
MP3 ($16.40)
CO ($35.45)
Hero ($48.15)
SB ($4.95)
BB ($32.05)
UTG ($15.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.35, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $1.35.

Flop: ($5.40) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20.6</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $15.45.

Turn: ($46.60) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $9.85 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $9.85.

River: ($66.30) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $66.30

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9d Qs 8s 4c (straight, nine high).

Outcome: BB wins $66.30. </font>

Would anyone do anything differently here? I'm pretty happy with how I played it - the only change I'd make would have been to reraise on the flop. But I don't think I can lay it down...I felt there was a reasonable chance he was trying to 'push me off aces', not necessarily a total bluff but perhaps with 55xx and/or a flush draw. And if he did have the straight...well...I had a few outs.

Oh yeah...would anyone check the flop rather than betting out?

Two Dimes (http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1106219)

This gives me EV of 0.296, which - I think I'm right about this - means that I'm not TOO far off a call even if I can put him on the straight with absolute certainty.

Of course, if he happens to have 8955, I'm in a lot more trouble... Two Dimes (http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1106251)

joewatch
07-25-2005, 11:26 PM
This is check-fold, or check-call if you think villain will pay off a paired board. Your double set hand is actually a liability, not an asset, as you have taken away 2 of your outs. A much better hand is set + flush draw or set + gutshot to nut str8.

Spellmen
07-26-2005, 02:45 AM
6789 or 8910J, etc, etc is not a terribly unlikely holding here and as Joe mentions your second set is killing you especially if your opponent also has a pair or two to go along with a straight. Betting is ok as it was checked to you, but I am usually folding to the reraise

TheRempel
07-26-2005, 08:12 AM
You should be checking this flop against most players for two reasons:

1) You are likely to get reraised by a made straight with or without redraws.
2) You are being given a free card and you have few outs. If you're lucky a heart will come off on the turn and freeze the BB getting you either another free card or a bunch of hearts out there will bet / call their flushes giving you better odds to fill up.

Without the second set I am inclined to bet something here if I feel most players would smooth call with a made straight. Since you were the PFR you are going to get raised by nut and non-nut straights here most of the time.

Tilt
07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I haven't looked at the results yet. Did you have any read on the player? With no reads I'd fold to the flop reraise. If I thought there was a good chance he'd do this with the flush draw I'd move in right there.

adam74
07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be checking this flop against most players for two reasons:

1) You are likely to get reraised by a made straight with or without redraws.
2) You are being given a free card and you have few outs. If you're lucky a heart will come off on the turn and freeze the BB getting you either another free card or a bunch of hearts out there will bet / call their flushes giving you better odds to fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't it probable that I have the best hand, against only two opponents? In which case, don't I need to be betting this flop so the other players don't get a free card to make a flush or a straight?

adam74
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you have any read on the player? With no reads I'd fold to the flop reraise. If I thought there was a good chance he'd do this with the flush draw I'd move in right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing concrete. I hadn't seen him before, and I'd been sitting with him for maybe 60 hands. He'd been playing a lot of hands, with some aggression both pre- and post-flop. Overall, I'd say I felt he was a decent player, maybe slightly more aggressive than average.

I still look at this and think that the call was okay-marginal. Against his actual hand, TwoDimes gives me almost 30% equity in the pot, which *almost* gives me a call on that basis alone. Add in some possibility that he's raising with a flush draw, believing that I have aces and I'll lay them down, and I think I have a call. In which case, I wonder if I should have reraised him his last $10, but I don't think that makes much difference either way.

autobet
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes, I would guess you are the favorite to have the best hand on the flop (until you are raised).

I would tend to bet this flop also.