PDA

View Full Version : Do I suck at Heads Up?

willperkins
07-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I would like to ask some of you to take a quick look at my stats and see if this is about par for $10/$1 tourneys.

To give you a litte more information, these numbers are from January 1st through July 19th. I play around 2 games per night and 5-7 games each on Sat., Sun., and holidays.

95% of these games are on PP or PS. They are all 10/1 SNGs.

524 tourneys
20.3 ROI
45.2 ITM

My concern is that my win rate is only 10% and I have more seconds than thirds.

Does this mean I suck at Heads Up or is 10% wins about right?

Finish % Number
1st 10.1% 53
2nd 18.5% 97
3rd 16.6% 87
4th 14.1% 74
5th 18.5% 97
6th 10.1% 53
7th 7.8% 41
8th 2.7% 14
9th 1.1% 6
10th 0.4% 2

tigerite
07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
It's a little low yes. My 1st and 2nd %'s are about equal, with 1st's slightly higher, about 0.5% or so. 3rd is way back about another 3% and then 4th 2.5% further back still.

The Don
07-25-2005, 08:54 PM
In all likelihood, yes. There could be other factors though. There should be a higher % of 6ths IMO. Get more aggresive earlier and try to build a decent stack for 4/3/2 handed play.

tigerite
07-25-2005, 08:57 PM
6th is still my highest %. Working on that though. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Apathy
07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Do an experiment.

record how many chips you start HU with each time. If you are losing more often then the % of chips you start with would dicatate then you know where the problem lies.

You will likely find that you just aren't starting with many chips heads up.

Degen
07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
just start pushing every SB and you'll see a huge improvement

durron597
07-25-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do an experiment.

record how many chips you start HU with each time. If you are losing more often then the % of chips you start with would dicatate then you know where the problem lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

morgan180
07-25-2005, 09:37 PM
There's a post by Daliman that shows his results of pushing every hand once heads up over 1000 sng's - I think it was +ev.

Whether you want to push EVERY hand that is up to you - bottom line is you must UP your aggression. When it comes to heads up its all about your position, your opponents betting and the texture of the flop - it has almost nothing to do with the cards in your hand.

tigerite
07-26-2005, 06:00 AM
The one thing I absolutely love, when I've been aggressive and pushing a lot for a few hands, is when my opponent tries to get 'tricky' and completes his SB, when I have absolute junk like, say 53o. The flop then comes 5 high or maybe T52, etc, and I push, they call with their awesome "trap hand" of AJo, and don't improve. I laugh all the way to the bank.

Phill S
07-26-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do an experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice, and maybe its true that your game in itself means that your are getting to heads up quite outstacked (at party this is much worse than at stars as your no of blinds at that point is usually lower).

Its also true that you could be experiencing normal variance.

Its further true that you could be in a self fullfilling prophesy whereby you are getting second because you think your not good enough to make first, and subsequently play subpar.

It could be all 3, it could be one or two of the factors. If you dont mind the break from full game SnGs, id recommend a spell at stars playing the heads up SnGs.

This should sharpen up your heads up instinct and give you more confidence when you get down to the last two. This is something i like to do every few months (or when my confidence in my game is lacking).

Phill