PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments to the general 10+1 strategy when I've got some chips

Paradigm
07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
The general 2+2 approved 10+1 strategy has helped my game and I can deem it effective, but a very successful player/friend of mine is curious as to whether my starting hand requirements should expand when I've picked up some chips. For example, in Level 1 of an $11, if I pick up Q9s in MP2 should I be limping or raising into this pot? Assume standard pre-flop situation, maybe 1 limper, certainly nothing exorbitant has happened in front of me. No raises in front.

sahala
07-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Theoretically if the stakes are small you can afford to wait until you have a monster before playing. My early big stack strategy (eg. calling all ins from AQ, KQ, K7 with 77 on a Q72 flop) is to essentially freeze up and limit myself to premium hands or pairs until the later rounds when I'll have great FE, the pots are big enough to make things interesting, and the smaller stacks begin widening their playable hand range. The last thing I want to do is donate chips back to the masses earlier on.

Then again, this may not be the right approach. I find being overly aggressive or loose tends to get me in trouble.

ChuckNorris
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Why should you openlimp/raise with crap from MP2 even if you had 4000 chips on level 1?

ChuckNorris
07-25-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My early big stack strategy (eg. calling all ins from AQ, KQ, K7 with 77 on a Q72 flop) is to essentially freeze up and limit myself to premium hands or pairs

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. You shouldn't tighten up with a bigger stack, on the contrary, now you can afford taking smaller edges since you don't risk going broke. However openlimping/raising Q9s in MP2, as was suggested in original post, isn't taking small edges, it's spewing chips away.

skierdude1000
07-25-2005, 08:29 PM
which strategy are you reffering to?

Adanthar's Robotic 10+1 Strategy Guide v. 1 (early beta)
that? or Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2
?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=

FoxwoodsFiend
07-25-2005, 08:35 PM
The reason would be that you give yourself a chance to take advantage of player's proclivities to bust for all their chips with 1-pair hands, only risking a limp here or there to do so.

Paradigm
07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm referring to "Beating the 10+1 Party"

ChuckNorris
07-25-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason would be that you give yourself a chance to take advantage of player's proclivities to bust for all their chips with 1-pair hands, only risking a limp here or there to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not just limp every hand? And why not limp with a T800 or T1000 stack? Because you have no pot odds or position for great implied odds. Openlimping out of position hoping for a miracle flop is also known as horrible poker.

jeffraider
07-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Just stay tight as hell early and take that big stack to the bubble and make the easy money pushing people around then.

SCfuji
07-25-2005, 10:09 PM
id only open up my standards if somebody else had as many chips to lose as i had. if ive got a 2k stack at level 1 through fishies throwing their chips into my pocket, then im going to hold onto them. although i have the leverage to eliminate other players, i dont want to attempt to knock them out with a weak hand (that's how they gave their chips to me in the first place). i have everything to lose; those guys could care less about pushing in and gambling on whatever slim hopes they have.

pokerlaw
07-25-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just stay tight as hell early and take that big stack to the bubble and make the easy money pushing people around then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this as a quick summary of my big stack play. be selective w/ the hands you enter and raise pots with early. keep your chips for when the blinds get high is great. At the same time, there are times and places to gamble w/ the big stack, and aggression is paramount. bleeding away chips calling raises and limping into pots hoping to flop a monster is NOT a good strategy IMO.

ChuckNorris
07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
So, SCfuji and others, let's say you have T2000, and someone with a T800 stack goes all-in. You estimate that it's slightly better than a coinflip for you, and there's, say, T100 in the pot already. Do you call?

I think this is a place where I fold with a T800 stack and call with a big stack.