PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beat

slowik444
03-02-2003, 08:16 PM
30-60 at the Bellagio Saturday night, up about $1000 when our table broke and were must moved into a great game. I was seated to the left of a horribly loose player who 4 bet me heads up on the button pre-flop with A4d. With 88 in the hole, I preceeded to watch the flop come down 7s7c6s. I didn't hesitate to bet out the flop... he called.
turn came down 3h I bet expecting him to fold what I thought was an AQ maybe AJ... he called
river came five. He looked like he was planning a raise so I checked and called.
The question is: Despite the beauty of the game and the opportunity it presented I preceeded to turn my $1000 winner into a $1500 looser as my two pairs were cracked 3 times by sets on the river: was I wrong for staying as long as I did?

sucka
03-02-2003, 11:58 PM
you dumped 25BB's on 3 hands?

Last time I checked, 2-pair was a decent but not a formidable holding.

Perhaps with your earlier win you got a little cocky and overplayed a few hands and it caught up with you. Perhaps after you had a couple good hands cracked you tilted a little and tried to get it all back on 1 or 2 hands and when you lost those it just got worse.

I look at it this way. When I sit down at a session and find myself up a rack or two because the cards were hitting me in the face I either call it a night or play tighter than a frog's ass so that I can lockup some profit for the session. There's not much worse than being able to lock up a 20+ BB session only to start playing like you own the place and giving it all back.

Should you have kept playing? Probably not. Based on the results of the session it appears to me as if there was something else going on other than you getting a few good hands cracked. I'm inclined to believe that you quit playing your A game and went into "i gotta get some of that back" mode. Bad move.

Oh, getting 2 pair beat by a set doesn't really qualify as a bad beat. I suppose under certain circumstances it would - but certainly not if they flopped em' on ya.

Smackdab
03-03-2003, 10:13 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, getting 2 pair beat by a set doesn't really qualify as a bad beat

[/ QUOTE ]
What were you smoking when you read this post? He was beat by runner, runner straight. Meets my criteria.

TobDog
03-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Anytime you get run down on the last 2 with perfect-perfect, your opponent clearly was not playing correctly, assuming he had no other outs, but as far as getting up fast, which is good. I am not a fan of jumping or playing way too tight the rest of the night, unless I know that I will not have the dicipline to play correctly, I have however many times felt that invincible feeling, which you need to overcome, you need to reset your thinking, the chips you had at the start of your hand is what you brought with you tonight to play with, kind of erase the 'Oh, I'm up, better not give it back' or worse 'I'm stuck, so lets try to get even'. As far as your beat, yeah those suck, but nothing you could do about that, just hope you play with the same guy often, because he is not always going to hit those runner runner hands to beat you often.

brad
03-03-2003, 12:18 PM
'Anytime you get run down on the last 2 with perfect-perfect'

yeah Ace was no good since poster flopped two pair.

Nottom
03-03-2003, 12:25 PM
The Ace was still good since the poster held a pocket pair and the second pair was on the board.

brad
03-03-2003, 01:16 PM
im sorry topdog and smackdab outvote you.

Smackdab
03-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Oh the A still good here. Was just trying to figure out how sucka got a set out of this mess.

Would love to play any maniac that calls 4 with Axs weak kicker. And then when possible set hits the flop still thinjs he's going to draw out with his A and have it hold up.

sucka
03-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Eeeps! Was responding to 2 post simulateously and got the details messed up.

Sorry about that.

Nottom
03-04-2003, 01:15 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
'Anytime you get run down on the last 2 with perfect-perfect'

yeah Ace was no good since poster flopped two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just correcting this comment, not trying to defend the guy's play.

TobDog
03-04-2003, 01:41 AM
OK, I saw it too, the ace was an out, sorry, he had 4 fives and 3 aces as outs on the river, but no doubt a poor player.