PDA

View Full Version : Is this too weak tight?

Cleveland Guy
07-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I check called the flop so I could check-raise the turn. I didn't like it when the 3rd 9 fell on the turn.

$50 PLO - 5 handed.

Hero is BB with JJKT. 1 Suit.

UTG limps, Button Raises to 2, SB Folds, Hero Calls, UTG Calls.

Flop J99.

Hero Checks, UTG bets 3. Button Folds. Hero Calls.

Turn - 9

Hero Checks, UTG Bets 3. Hero Calls.

River - x

Hero Check, UTG Bets 5. Hero Calls.

Both of us started the hand with over $60

IronDragon1
07-25-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check called the flop so I could check-raise the turn. I didn't like it when the 3rd 9 fell on the turn.

$50 PLO - 5 handed.

Hero is BB with JJKT. 1 Suit.

UTG limps, Button Raises to 2, SB Folds, Hero Calls, UTG Calls.

Flop J99.

Hero Checks, UTG bets 3. Button Folds. Hero Calls.

Turn - 9

Hero Checks, UTG Bets 3. Hero Calls.

River - x

Hero Check, UTG Bets 5. Hero Calls.

Both of us started the hand with over $60

[/ QUOTE ]

While this isn't the main reason why I advocate coming over the top with overfulls in lower limit (and loose) PLO games-it certainly is one of them

That being said-if you don't have a read on this player-I suppose playing it safe isn't the worst thing in the world

autobet
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Calling is okay. What is he going to call you with if your hand is good?

Actually you should be think of folding unless the bettor is a maniac.

TheRempel
07-25-2005, 07:58 PM
After the flop your play is fine but you really should be raising the nut fulls on the flop some of the time. I expect he showed down AA or possibly KK since you're asking if your play was too weak tight.

Cleveland Guy
07-25-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand not raising, but what would make you think to fold here?

IronDragon1
07-25-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand not raising, but what would make you think to fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The poster's rationale was likely that the flop bet indicated interest in the hand e.g a nine.

However, I would not fold here just because such a smallish flop bet could easily indicate a high pocket pair just trying to see if they can get you off the hand without being too committed.

joewatch
07-25-2005, 11:30 PM
With these stupid tiny bets, I think you are forced to call down to the river. It Villain had potted on the turn or river, I could definitely see myself folding. Sometimes you fold the best hand, but hey, that's poker. Play to win the most money and lose the least, and never, never be a calling station. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cleveland Guy
07-26-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After the flop your play is fine but you really should be raising the nut fulls on the flop some of the time. I expect he showed down AA or possibly KK since you're asking if your play was too weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did show down KK88 - for 9s full of kings.

There are plenty of times I raise the nut full on the flop, I just felt I could get more out of raising it on the turn.

That was just an ugly Turn card I didn't want to see. It seems like giving my flop check/call - my turn and river were correct.

I felt this hand was too strong to lay down to those bets, but part of me thought he was trapping. And even if he did plan to re-raise with just Kings full, I would have had to lay down to any raise by him, which is why I kept check/calling.

Adding - it's easy to say I should have raised this up on the flop, but then if he folds to my raise, you wonder if you could have gotten more. So there are downsides to both plays.

Spellmen
07-26-2005, 02:42 AM
I don't think it's too weaktight. There are certain opponents I may raise against, but you are going to be shown quad 9s alot so I think given the small bets calling down is the best plan.

Tilt
07-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Played fine IMO. Against some players I might min-raise that weak river bet for value. Most of the time I would just call it down like you did.

RickyG
07-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I dunno why you would want to minraise the river bet. It seems like a situation where most hands will fold (ie, anyone without a 9) and only gives the chance to someone with a 9 to reraise you. I think you played the hand correctly, and after the 9 fell you made the most positive EV move.

On the flop, You have a monster, you are only afraid of a couple of cards, (9qka) and only rarely will you be behind when QKA fall (although if you do put him on an overpair, you have to be careful). I think it's one of those situations where you must take a small risk in order to potentially make more money. Playing 5 handed it is the perfect spot to slowplay, and hope your opponent hits his kicker if he has a 9 so that you can take his stack. The call here seems like the right move, with the intention of getting alot of money in on the turn.

The 9 puts you in a tricky situation. I think here you really need to know your opponent. Would he continue to make small value bets with a 9 or would he check and wait for the river? Regardless, I think that with the small bets, calling it down was the right move.

If he has a pocket pair, you are letting him continue to bet into you when you have the best hand, whereas, having raised at any point, the fellow with the wired pair will fold and only the 9 will call/raise you.

my $0.02
RickyG

Tilt
07-26-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fellow with the wired pair will fold and only the 9 will call/raise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the AA/KK will pay you off alot of times. If you get reraised you know you can safely muck without seeing his 9.

Lafortezza
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
You could try a small raise on the turn to see exactly how strong he actually is. If it was me I'd be definitely calling all the way to the river, but I'd probably raise the flop or turn and see what happens.