PDA

View Full Version : Bet/fold, check/fold, check/call river?

lufbradolly
07-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (2.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

This hand was from a few hours ago and i don't recall having a read on the CO. Wondering what my river plan should be. I played it weak and it's been bothering me ever since.

irishpint
07-25-2005, 06:39 PM
bet/fold. it's just as scary to him as it is to u as it is to me. but against an unknown i dont think check/call is wrong either.

lufbradolly
07-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah ever since i was thinking that bet/fold would have been best.

lufbradolly
07-26-2005, 07:33 AM
check/call anyone?

kapw7
07-26-2005, 07:54 AM
You absolutely have to bet this. Maybe this doesn't apply in this game (0.5/1 full) but I would expect a Jack to raise a lot of times the flop/turn with OESD.
I guess your problem is what to do if you get raised. Again for these games I can't see someone bluff C-Ring this river very often. So unless you have some reads you can fold the river.

I feel that even bet-calling is better than checking-(calling) but not very sure.

Dave G.
07-26-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm actually fine with check/calling this. If it gets checked through, oh well...

The problem with this river is that I can't see too many hands that will actually call your bet. If someone were donktacular enough, they could call with their ace-rag I guess, but I expect the majority of people to actually fold in this spot unless they have a jack. Even the awful players at party can realise when they have absolutely no chance of winning a hand. So there really isn't much value missed if it does get checked through, because you are unlikely to get that extra BB anyway.

On the other hand, a lot of otherwise passive players like to bluff at the river. And if your unknown opponent is a TAG, he may just bluff at you here as well.

Since I think more hands that you beat will bet than will call, and getting raised here really sucks, check/call seems to be a good option.

McGahee
07-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm with you on Party donks not being as retarded as we make them out to be...
But you're still getting called by A-rag here all day every day. I also sincerely doubt a TAG will bluff at this since he knows he's going to get called.

On a related note, I concluded last night that the best time to use the bet/fold line is when you're on tilt. I don't have to worry about making a "sanity call" because I've already lost my mind.

imported_The Vibesman
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
I'd bet the river, probably fold to a raise unless villian is a psycho. Possible he has a suited ace hearts or spades, and called the flop for his BDFD, and now is calling down his weak top pair. KT is just as possible as KJ. Still, if you get raised here you are probably beat, I don't see anyone raising KT or K9 w/ this board (although I suppose it's possible) and T9 would have raised earlier if at all.

Dave G.
07-26-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On a related note, I concluded last night that the best time to use the bet/fold line is when you're on tilt. I don't have to worry about making a "sanity call" because I've already lost my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting theory. I may have to steal it!