PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on improving shorthanded/h.u. play

bcubed72
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Im a reasonably new hold 'em player (7mo) who made the switch to tournament play last month. I have compiled the results of one month's play. First, the good news: so far (playing $30+3 10 handed) I have finished in the (top 3) money 53 of 110 tries (48%)--11 1st, 20 2nd, 22 3rd. I have beat the game an average of $10.36 per session.
Now the bad news: as you can see from my stats, I am finishing first much less often than 2nd or 3rd. I am losing about $5 per session copmared to an even distribution of all three paying places. I attribute this to three possible factors, which I will list in increasing order of importance: Random variation due to small sample size, overly conservative play, and lack of heads up skill.
The first is self-explanitory. As for the second, I play a generaly risk-averse style of play, coming in big only when I have a sizable advantage over my opponents. This style probably increases my chances of finishing in the money, but leaves me somewhat short-stacked when I get there--hence fewer 1sts. Finally, I need to consider that I am not as good (yet) as I need to be a h.u. play. This is not surprizing: after all, up until 1 mo. ago, all of my experience, and most of my reading, focused on how to beat a 10 handed, limit, hold 'em game.
What I would like from the readers of this site is to hear how you learned to be a skilled shorthanded/ h.u. player. Any references you can reccomend, as well as tips you can give, will be greatly appreciated. I'm winning now, but I know I have yet to play my best poker. I realistically forsee beating the game for close to $20/session with some basic improvement in my game.

Vee Quiva
07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
$20 a game at the $33's is probably not a realistic goal.

As for heads up, I am having the same issue so I would love to see what the other posters have to say.

skierdude1000
07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Just open your game up... I'm actually the opposite... once I make the money it's usually 1st or 3rd. When you're 3 handed and headsup, start raising a lot more stuff... play your opponents. Raise preflop with solid cards and bet out at flop. Raise from the button especially with position. I dno... just get agressive and play for 1st.

Ross Schultz
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Beating the $30+3s for $20/tournament is not very realistic. Right now you are at an ROI of around 31% which is already very high. Getting your ROI up to 60% and keeping it at that level is not a realistic goal in the long term. If you can stay above 30% ROI at the 33s then you should clearly be playing a higher level.