PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight, 2 opponents

Creeper_thp
07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Party Poker (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>. Button calls, Hero raises, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets, Button raises, Hero re-raises, BB folds, Button calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button calls.

River: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, Button calls.

Call the flop raise? Check-raise the turn?

07-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Grunching.

I definitely want overcalls here so I'm gonna try and keep BB in as long as possible. Check call the flop and then check raise the turn. I might even bet the turn and try and get a 3-bet in.

I'd wuss on the river and check-call.

MrWookie47
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Just lead the flop. Who are you going to check/raise? You're the PFR, for crying out loud. Nothing raises eyebrows faster than a check/3bet after a PFR. I'm surprised you got two additional BB out of the button.

MrWookie47
07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Check/calling the river is really, really terrible.

topspin
07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm confused as to why we're raising preflop. Do you have a read on button being weak-tight postflop and you're trying to set up a steal or something?

Postflop, I have no idea why you wouldn't want to bet this flop. There's a lot of potential draws out there that you'd hate to give a free card to, and chances are this flop hit someone. Check-raising just makes me think you flopped a broadway set or something and if anything will scare them more than betting.

sirana
07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
grunch

I don't think I'd raise this preflop, with only one caller so far.
I bet out the flop, you're the one who raised preflop, so why do you expect others to bet?
I call down when raised and checkraise the turn, then bet out the river.

@bsolute_luck
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
i'm trying to learn how to apply pot equity, so correct me if i'm wrong but pokerstove has JTs ~46% against 2 random hands, plus Button could have a weak hand since he just open-limped (some do this with AA and such since it is worth more than the blinds, but i doubt that at this level).

Creeper_thp
07-25-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just lead the flop. Who are you going to check/raise? You're the PFR, for crying out loud. Nothing raises eyebrows faster than a check/3bet after a PFR. I'm surprised you got two additional BB out of the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing pretty agressively so I thought the raise/check might have looked like a steal attempt/wuss out check on the flop and get some extra bets out of a couple of passive players. But I don't really see what leading out on the flop here would have done. I didn't have any sort of slam dunk reads on these guys but they seemed like fairly typical calling stations so the most I really figured there if I bet the flop is a call down from a weak ace or something like that. I thought my original check-raising plan at least gave me a chance to get a little more out of this.

GrunchCan
07-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Calling stations like to call. You should let them.

07-25-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the river is really, really terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, definitely right. I forgot Button's preflop limp. I'm still trying to get over looking for monsters under the bed. Button can't have AK, AQ, QQ, or KK unless he's super tricky. Have to bet the river.

Sorry for being so silly.

aces_dad
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
As played, I just call the flop bet and plan to c/r the turn. Given your pf raise it was fortunate to have two bets on the flop, and given that action I'd give them a chance to lead again on the turn. Seems pretty likely BB would have called one more on the flop so I wouldn't try to run him off yet.

By c/r so early in the hand coupled with the pf raise, you're really stopping the action on the flop. I'd like to keep it going on the turn if possible, so either lead out the flop call a raise and plan to lead the turn again, or as played, just call those flop bets.

Creeper_thp
07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused as to why we're raising preflop. Do you have a read on button being weak-tight postflop and you're trying to set up a steal or something?

Postflop, I have no idea why you wouldn't want to bet this flop. There's a lot of potential draws out there that you'd hate to give a free card to, and chances are this flop hit someone. Check-raising just makes me think you flopped a broadway set or something and if anything will scare them more than betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raise wasn't really a standard thing I do, I was half screwing around half thinking that should I hit a good flop a few more bets in there might convince a weaker hand to stick around. If I miss or hit weakly and get played back at I can give up pretty easily. It's an incomplete thought at best but I don't often see the whole table fold like that s o at the very least it's a mistake I won't have the chance to make too often.

Postflop, yeah, I really seem to struggle with playing made hands, especially after I showed aggression preflop. So is the idea of betting out after a preflop raise more specific to this situation or is it a more general sort of thing when you've made a strong hand on the flop?

aces_dad
07-25-2005, 05:43 PM
In general too many people (incorrectly) by default check to the raiser. This makes a flop c/r on this board more difficult to plan, as you can't predict where the flop bet will come from. Worst case, this flop could have been checked through, so you're really missing bets in that case.

The c/r seems to slow people down more than leading out, as they often will see the leadout as simply a contination bet, and are more apt to raise that when they like their hand. Two common c/r opportunities are checking from a blind with a late position pf raiser, when you want to protect your hand by facing the field with 2 cold, and c/r a person on your left when you now want to trap people for extra bets, like hitting a set on the turn.