PDA

View Full Version : Cops Suck

WackityWhiz
07-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Alright, here's the story :

I was just leaving my girlfriends house at 1:00 AM and noticed I had 3 missed calls. We were in the hot tub (oh ya /images/graemlins/cool.gif) when I missed the calls. I called my friend back and he said they were driving out to this guys house to do a lil smokin. My car sucks ass and this place is about 30 miles away, so I asked if they could drive back and get me. They were about halfway there but they didn't mind coming back to get me.

To put this into perspective cuz you wouldn't know where cities are in Iowa, I'll use the US as a base for the direction they were going and so on.

They drove from Oklahoma up to Iowa when I called him and he turned around and went to Colorado to pick me up. We then drove up through nebraska, south dakota, up to Minnesota (LOL I hope that confused you cuz that would rule)

anyways, I drove to this grocery store that is open 24 hrs and left my car there when they picked me up. We then took an alternate route up to this dudes house. My buddy who was driving rolled through a stop sign and was pulled over by the cops. The douchebag cop gave him a ticket that was like 72 bucks with all the fees.

Do you think I should pay for half the ticket since they drove back and picked me up? or do you think that it's his fault for running the stop sign, regardless of his reasons for being at that exact location at that exact time to get pulled over?

jakethebake
07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd probably offer to be nice but I wouldn't feel obligated.

chaas4747
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Don't pay the ticket. Your friend rolled thru the stop sign.

Cops are not douchebags for writing tickets to people who viloate traffic laws.

stabn
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably offer to be nice but I wouldn't feel obligated.

[/ QUOTE ]

mslif
07-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Can you explain why the cop suck?

BeerMoney
07-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Your friends insurance is also going to be increased.

It would be nice of you to help him out with the ticket as they were nice enough to turn around and pick you up. Trust me, $72 or $36 bucks isn't much of a price to make you look like a good guy.

WackityWhiz
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you coulda seen it, I think you would agree. He came so close to stopping and it was out in the country at 2 AM at a T intersection with 1 stop sign. We were really nice to the cop and he just seemed like a total douche. I have nothing against cops cuz I'm strongly considering that profession, but 72 bucks just didn't fit the crime.

eric5148
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To put this into perspective cuz you wouldn't know where cities are in Iowa, I'll use the US as a base for the direction they were going and so on.

They drove from Oklahoma up to Iowa when I called him and he turned around and went to Colorado to pick me up. We then drove up through nebraska, south dakota, up to Minnesota (LOL I hope that confused you cuz that would rule)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever considered a career as a novelist?

WackityWhiz
07-25-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever considered a career as a novelist?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i prob have considered it in tha past but idk, it jus' doesn't seem like the right profession 4 me /images/graemlins/cool.gif

imported_anacardo
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't pay the ticket. Your friend rolled thru the stop sign.

Cops are not douchebags for writing tickets to people who viloate traffic laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I disagree necessarily, but you're sure all law-'n'-order, all the time...

lucas9000
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have nothing against cops

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Cops Suck

[/ QUOTE ]

schwza
07-25-2005, 05:10 PM
yeah, you should offer. drivers wind up paying a lot of money in maintenance, insurance, gas, etc, and non-drivers get a ton of benefit. throw him some cash, especially if it's a b.s. ticket.

WackityWhiz
07-25-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have nothing against cops

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Cops Suck

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ok, i suck at making subjects... "Do I pay the Ticket?" woulda been much better.

Easy E
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
What does your title have to do with your post? Should you have truthfully titled it "Drug addicts who can't drive suck!" ?

BeerMoney
07-25-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, you should offer. drivers wind up paying a lot of money in maintenance, insurance, gas, etc, and non-drivers get a ton of benefit. throw him some cash, especially if it's a b.s. ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points.

mslif
07-25-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you coulda seen it, I think you would agree. He came so close to stopping and it was out in the country at 2 AM at a T intersection with 1 stop sign. We were really nice to the cop and he just seemed like a total douche. I have nothing against cops cuz I'm strongly considering that profession, but 72 bucks just didn't fit the crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't running a stop a moving violation also? who ever the ticket is against might have to pay a bigger insurance premium.
I am not helping am I?

beernutz
07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
First off, your title sucks, given the scenario you wrote about. Second, you sound more ticked about the amount of the ticket than the fact that you got one, however, in all likelihood the LEO had no latitude in the amount. If it was me I'd have given probably you a ticket too (I'm not a LEO) since IMO the penalties for excessive speeders, tailgaters, and stop sign/light runners should be raised to the point where they actually become a deterrant. Don't get me started on drunk drivers.

</$.02>

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BeerMoney
07-25-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, your title sucks, given the scenario you wrote about. Second, you sound more ticked about the amount of the ticket than the fact that you got one, however, in all likelihood the LEO had no latitude in the amount. If it was me I'd have given probably you a ticket too (I'm not a LEO) since IMO the penalties for excessive speeders, tailgaters, and stop sign/light runners should be raised to the point where they actually become a deterrant. Don't get me started on drunk drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why don't you address the question of whether or not you think it would be a good gesture for him to pay half the ticket.

Getting a ticket for a moving violation like rolling through a stop sign flat out blows, I don't care what anyone says. People need to open their eyes and lighten up.

beernutz
07-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Ok, if I was the driver I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me half so, no, I wouldn't offer to pay half either.
I didn't ask my friend to roll the stop sign, just give me a ride.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why don't you address the question of whether or not you think it would be a good gesture for him to pay half the ticket.

Getting a ticket for a moving violation like rolling through a stop sign flat out blows, I don't care what anyone says. People need to open their eyes and lighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThisHo
07-25-2005, 05:57 PM
2am, out in the middle of nowhere, 3 or 4 guys in a car that rolls through a stop. The cop didn't care about the stop. He was looking for a DUI or possession bust.

Now, you can look at that 2 ways:
1 - he was trying to make sure the streets of Nowhere Iowa are safe for 80year old ladies returning from Bingo
OR
2 - he's a bastard pig looking to get a nice arrest and get a promotion.

I tend to be an optimist, so I go with #1.

As for your argument that the $72 doesn't fit the crime - that's not the cops, thats someone in some legislative branch somewhere.

As for "pay the ticket or not?"
You're not under any obligation, but offering isn't a bad thing since they came back to get you.

As for your future career in law enforcement :
writing posts titled "cops suck" that include lines like:

[ QUOTE ]
I called my friend back and he said they were driving out to this guys house to do a lil smokin... so I asked if they could drive back and get me.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably isn't a good thing to include on your resume.

ThisHo

07-25-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I drove to this grocery store that is open 24 hrs and left my car there when they picked me up. We then took an alternate route up to this dudes house. My buddy who was driving rolled through a stop sign and was pulled over by the cops. The douchebag cop gave him a ticket that was like 72 bucks with all the fees.

[/ QUOTE ]
How fast exactly did he roll through a stop sign?

daveymck
07-25-2005, 06:47 PM
If you think that cop sucks in the new barbarian trigger happy UK the cops would have shot all is tyres out and then pumped some lead into the engine bay to get him to stop and then fined him $72 for having an unroadworthy car.

Brainwalter
07-25-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think that cop sucks in the new barbarian trigger happy UK the cops would have shot all is tyres out and then pumped some lead into the engine bay to get him to stop and then fined him $72 for having an unroadworthy car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do they have guns?

daveymck
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do they have guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont keep up to date with the news then.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38865000/jpg/_38865215_armed203.jpg

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2003/05/12/armed-police.jpg

WackityWhiz
07-25-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I drove to this grocery store that is open 24 hrs and left my car there when they picked me up. We then took an alternate route up to this dudes house. My buddy who was driving rolled through a stop sign and was pulled over by the cops. The douchebag cop gave him a ticket that was like 72 bucks with all the fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly I couldn't tell you. I think that if you saw it you wouldn't think it was bad at all (especially if you saw the area we got pulled over in, i'm talking NOTHING around... just corn fields and a stop sign. Pretty ridiculous). The cop just wanted to pull us over and I fully agree that he saw 3 young kids out in the country at about the time that bars close. And maybe the fact that when asked for his ID, my friend gave the cop his credit card instead, then proceded to fumble around for his insurance card and didn't know what his registration looked like. He didn't give the cop any lip, he kinda had a lil quiver in his voice when he talked to the cop. It was obvious my buddy was nervous. I don't know, the whole situation pretty much sucked and the cop gave him the ticket anyway.

07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly I couldn't tell you. I think that if you saw it you wouldn't think it was bad at all (especially if you saw the area we got pulled over in, i'm talking NOTHING around... just corn fields and a stop sign. Pretty ridiculous). The cop just wanted to pull us over and I fully agree that he saw 3 young kids out in the country at about the time that bars close. And maybe the fact that when asked for his ID, my friend gave the cop his credit card instead, then proceded to fumble around for his insurance card and didn't know what his registration looked like. He didn't give the cop any lip, he kinda had a lil quiver in his voice when he talked to the cop. It was obvious my buddy was nervous. I don't know, the whole situation pretty much sucked and the cop gave him the ticket anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
i hate it when cops imitmidate people into slowing way down. Hey did you at least pay for gas?

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 05:30 AM
as long as I find out that he paid for it, and not his mom, then I'll go over there and give him 30 bucks.

thx guys

Mason Hellmuth
07-26-2005, 05:53 AM
But don't shoot a burglar to save yourself, or you're a danger to the public and must be locked up!

Good luck with the situation over there--I don't envy you one bit.

For the OP, I agree that you should give him the money. I wouldn't expect it if I was the driver, but I wouldn't turn it down either. It's just a cool thing to do.

diebitter
07-26-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think that cop sucks in the new barbarian trigger happy UK the cops would have ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, bud, have some respect for the UK please.

Remember, we ran the world just before you took over.

PS. If you're not American, you have my sincerest apologies for calling you one.

ChipWrecked
07-26-2005, 05:58 AM
I have always paid something, except the time I told the driver, "Don't get a speeding ticket, because I can't afford to split it with you" and the dude got a speeding ticket about ten minutes later.

Mason Hellmuth
07-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Post deleted by Mason Hellmuth

diebitter
07-26-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe daveymck is indeed British; you still have time to edit.

On the other hand, much of the history of the British Empire is not something that I would be proud of. (Not that I'm thrilled with American foreign policy, and yes, this should be in Politics. I'm done here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that civilising most of the planet was terrible.

But let me ask you, if it had been the 'French' or 'German' Empire, do you seriously think it would have been the same or better?

Mason Hellmuth
07-26-2005, 06:09 AM
I was going to concede the point, but I just realized that you're blinded by nationalism. Good day, sir.

DasLeben
07-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Did you stick your foot over to his gas pedal to keep him rolling through the stop sign? No? Then no pay.

Oh, and if this ever happens to my friends while I'm in the car, I'll just laugh at them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daveymck
07-26-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you think that cop sucks in the new barbarian trigger happy UK the cops would have ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, bud, have some respect for the UK please.

Remember, we ran the world just before you took over.

PS. If you're not American, you have my sincerest apologies for calling you one.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gifI am British, it was a joke someone in the originally shooting thread said our police were now barbarians.

The people around me are now starting to make jokes about whats going on a sure sign we are moving on, we have a english college in the bulding next door so loads of forign students at the moment and many opportunities for said jokes as most of them have rucksacks etc.

BeerMoney
07-26-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you stick your foot over to his gas pedal to keep him rolling through the stop sign? No? Then no pay.

Oh, and if this ever happens to my friends while I'm in the car, I'll just laugh at them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have a lot of "friends" that stab you in the back too.

diebitter
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gifI am British, it was a joke someone in the originally shooting thread said our police were now barbarians.

The people around me are now starting to make jokes about whats going on a sure sign we are moving on...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, my bad. Malmuth set me right.

Here's one that'll be funnier for us UKers (it's a play on a well-worn phrase in this country):

Two women of a certain religion go into a rucksack shop and try some on. One turns to the other and asks 'does my bomb look big in this?'

ChipWrecked
07-26-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here's one that'll be funnier for us UKers (it's a play on a well-worn phrase in this country):

Two women of a certain religion go into a rucksack shop and try some on. One turns to the other and asks 'does my bomb look big in this?'

[/ QUOTE ]

'Bum', right? Haha, I get that.

Hey, as much as I ripped on the Brits in a response to one of Stigmata's silly-assed anti-American posts, give 'em hell, wot. Our Muslim friends must have forgotten their history, or maybe thought you all had changed since Hitler bombed London to rubble. They clearly don't understand who they are fcuking with. Not the Spanish, surely. Give 'em hell, bulldogs.

jakethebake
07-26-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as I find out that he paid for it, and not his mom, then I'll go over there and give him 30 bucks.

thx guys

[/ QUOTE ]

You could still give the money to his mom. Score some points.

diebitter
07-26-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Give 'em hell, bulldogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pip pip!

WDC
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
The cops not in control of the fine, that is the legislature. It's like being mad at the cashier at McDonald's because you think the price of the Big Mac is too high.

And yes pay for a portion of the ticket.

Lazymeatball
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any geographic references for those who don't care enough about the bumfuck midwest to have followed those directions? Just representing the east coast bias here.

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They drove from Oklahoma up to Iowabasically straight north when I called him and he turned around and went to Colorado Basically Southwest to pick me up. We then drove up through nebraska, south dakota, up to Minnesota which would be a Northeastern route from colorado. If they started in Oklahoma and were headed to Minnesota, it would be a straight shot north (LOL I hope that doesn't confuse you cuz that would be sad if it did)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any geographic references for those who don't care enough about the bumfuck midwest to have followed those directions? Just representing the east coast bias here.

[/ QUOTE ]

better? /images/graemlins/cool.gif or how about this...

Friends wanted to smoke, they started driving to the house, i called them, they picked me up west of where they started from, we then took an alternate route through corn fields where we rolled through a stop sign and were busted. 72 dollars poorer

-Skeme-
07-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I didn't read any replies so this might have been said before but:

The cop didn't do anything dick-like. Your friend broke an important law. He should have to pay the fine, not you, although it would be a nice gesture. You are also bad at storytelling.