View Full Version : Startup Capital

SonofJen
07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Main Question: How much $$$ is generally needed/recommended to start actively investing?

Background: I'm 26, married, and bought a house a year ago. My wife and I both contribute to our 401k accounts and max out our Roth IRA each year but we have never opened a non-retirement investment account. We have 15 grand that is currently in a 3.15% savings account that I want to start investing with. I've been reading this forum quite frequently and have just begun to read the books and other resources that a lot of you have been so kind to recommend. I'm generally the type of person who enjoys doing his homework so although I'm definitely a "beginner" when it comes to investing, I'm eager to begin the necessary due diligence involved with ramping up my understanding and skill set. One thing I'm wondering though is whether I have enough $$$ to start trading in anything other than index funds or possibly DRIPs? For instance, one post on this site recommended at least 40k to get started. Is that really necessary? One thing I was thinking about was putting my money into an index fund initially (either part of it or all of it) and then doing my homework (i.e. reading and setting up a virtual account) until I feel "ready" to start mixing it up. Even at that point, I imagine I'd only use, or want to use, a percentage of my total funds to pick individual stocks while the rest of my money remains in more conservative, diversified holdings. Is this a decent gameplan to begin with? What I'm especially unclear on, however, are what those percentages should look like. One answer might be 2/3 in index funds (say 5k in one and 5k in another) and 1/3 in individual stocks. But that would mean I'd only be investing 5k in individual stocks, which with the fees, might not make that much sense. In short, I'm ideally looking for some good rules of thumb here, if there are any, or to hear some different opinions on the subject. Thank you in advance for any and all insights you might have.

midas
07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
There is a lot of good advice on this subject on this board but I'll ask a few more questions.

-Are you maxing out your 401K?
-What investments are in your Roth and 401K?
-Do you have any other high interest rate debt?

One strategy, is to use your savings to diversify away from investments that you are invested in your retirement accounts. Also, use your savings to free yourself from credit card debt if possible.
-

SonofJen
07-25-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot of good advice on this subject on this board but I'll ask a few more questions.

-Are you maxing out your 401K?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, we are not. Both of our companies unfortunately do not match, otherwise yes, I would have started by maxing those out.

[ QUOTE ]

-What investments are in your Roth and 401K?

[/ QUOTE ]
Roth = S&P 500 (we started this last year and have maxed out for both 2004 and 2005)

401ks were both setup to be fairly aggressive and roughly 80% equities

[ QUOTE ]

-Do you have any other high interest rate debt?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]

One strategy, is to use your savings to diversify away from investments that you are invested in your retirement accounts. Also, use your savings to free yourself from credit card debt if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
And no credit card debt.

So, is your answer that 15 grand would be enough to start actively investing with?

Sniper
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I'm wondering though is whether I have enough $$$ to start trading in anything other than index funds or possibly DRIPs?

[/ QUOTE ]

15K is certainly more than enough to start actively investing for someone willing to put in the homework time. You are definately beyond the DRIP stage.

You should also allocate a certain percentage of your income to add to that balance each month, just like you currently do for your 401K and IRA. a good starting point is 10%.

Just for comparison, $300/month invested at 3% compounded in your savings account over 40 years = 280K, while $300/month compounded over 40 years at 10% (avg market returns) = 2 mil. Big difference. With active investing, you are expecting to beat market returns (very achievable if you do your homework) and thus long term your returns will be much higher.

As for allocation, let your research and comfort level be your guide. Long term you will achieve your greatest returns by investing in individual stocks. Do your homework, find the best stocks, and have fun!

SonofJen
07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.