PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay this hand?

kapw7
07-25-2005, 04:23 PM
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP seems very agressive post flop. FWIW he is 37/15/2 over 18 hands.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

Was that too much? I can see him 3-betting a top pair or flush draw a lot of times. I had played very agressively pocket 55 before and beat someone's AQ if this is of any relevance.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds.

I included the turn. Hopefully it won't skew the replies but WTF did he possibly have?

kapw7
07-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Any comments welcome

Poldi
07-25-2005, 05:55 PM
I dont like the cap. You are probably ahead now but he could still be the favourite with a pair + a flush draw. He also could have a set of sixes. There are no other players in the hand, your cap must be for pure value because its very unlikely that villain will fold before the river (ok, he did.. i would still say its very unlikely).
So you are either ahead but will still lose a fair amount of the time or he already has you killed and you dont have as many outs as the other way around.

JrJordan
07-25-2005, 05:57 PM
A flop cap is fine here since I still believe you're ahead the majority of the time, but I think there's a better line to take.

I like the flop c/r, as it forces any high heart to cold call to see the turn. Likewise, it might get lower single hearts to fold thinking they could be dominated. When MP 3-bets, you have to realize that a cap isn't going to get anyone new to fold, and all flush draws have easy odds to call. Likewise, your equity is probably +EV, but not by much if he's on a draw with a pair, etc. I'd smooth call his 3-bet, then c/r any non heart turn. If he is indeed on the heart draw, you can charge him 2BB when your equity is much higher. If a heart hits the turn, then I call down given the size of the pot.

deception5
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd smooth call his 3-bet, then c/r any non heart turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it likely he'll check behind on the turn with a flush draw?

JrJordan
07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd smooth call his 3-bet, then c/r any non heart turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it likely he'll check behind on the turn with a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to the fact that he's very aggressive post flop, I'd say theres a good chance he'll fire again even with the draw now that it's HU. More likey IMO, is that he has a flush draw with a pair or some sort of made hand rather than just the sole flush draw. This is because he's fast played the flop and isolated against us instead of keeping it against multiple players which a sole Ah might do. Likewise, the fast play could be a Q or T trying to charge us for a draw. There's just a lot more combinations where he'll bet the turn again than check it through. That, or I'm being results oriented because I saw his turn fold.

Against a more passive player I take the standard flop cap bet turn line because that free card would be a disaster.

kapw7
07-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Excellent analysis. A lot of things i didn't consider.
I really wonder what hand he had that he folded. A low heart maybe? A lower PP or a pair of tens?

JrJordan
07-25-2005, 07:20 PM
The best I can come up with is a T with a low kicker that finally realizes it's beat. If he has a heart, I imagine he'd see the river now that it's isolated between you two and there's a decent chance you don't have one. We'll say T9o for kicks and giggles.