PDA

View Full Version : Initial Bad Decision leads to right decision

transmitt
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Kind of theoretical, but I just replied to a "was this push bad?" post and got to thinking about it again. I was kicking myself 5 minutes after this so take it for granted I screwed up.

1,650 or so runners in a party NL rebuy, we are down to 80 people. I have insta-mucked for over an orbit, am at approx. 60k chips, average stack is 65 or so. Getting the itch to steal before the blinds hit me again (2 orbits without a move).

I have K6 hearts in MP and make the standard opening raise (blinds are 3k 6k, opener has been the min raise 12k) hoping for a fold around. Button flat calls, blinds fold. 33k in the pot, flop comes Ah 5h X off. My read on the button (who was the table big stack) was he was pretty loose and was seeing a ton of flops.

Here is where it gets even worse for those of you about to type "fold preflop" since regardless of outcome I would do that going forward given position. I open for 12k again. He pushes. I now have "proper odds" to get my remaining 20k or so in on the nut flush draw, he has AKd and I don't improve.

So, my immediate reaction was I had the odds to call, what more could I do? If I check folded the flop I would be at ~50% of the average stack with 3 hands until a big blind hit again, if I hit I am almost double. I was a 1.85:1 to improve getting over 2:1 on my money.

But, how often do you guys think back to the fact that we sometimes create these marginal decisions before we get to the final call? Obviously almost every post here is a "I lost, was I right?" post, common thinking being if I won I was right. But maybe for the first time for me anyway, it dawned on me that yeah, you dope, you made the right final call, but shouldn't have been in the hand to begin with.

Like I said, theoretical and maybe me just

mts
07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
i think you need to touch up on the basics

for example, why you dont min raise in MP, with garbage, and 20% of your stack.