PDA

View Full Version : To post or not post behind the button?

Doc7
07-25-2005, 04:05 PM
In your experiences, is it generally better to sit and wait till big blind (Which can also be used to keep track of at least a few hands of players tendencies at the table, as i don't have the money for pokertracker yet with my $30 .05/.10 BR, lol) or to take advantage of the position in the micro-stakes games by posting at the cut-off?

irishpint
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
i post in the CO all the time, but for you it might be better to see the hands and just wait it out.

@bsolute_luck
07-25-2005, 04:07 PM
i wait 'til BB generally to watch the table if i haven't been on the waiting list watching already.

krimson
07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually I would be more inclined to not post WITH pokertracker, because you can just ignore the table while waiting and you then have 7-8 hands on everyone when the bb comes around to you.

Despite this, I post in the CO 100% of the time because i'm impatient.

jrz1972
07-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Break open your wallet and buy PokerTracker. Right now. Seriously.

Or at least download the free version. (Good for 1000 hands I think).

Doc7
07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Does the free version still let you use the Gametime or whateverr feature it is that you guys use to see stats displayed on the table and regularly updating?

edit; I didn't think PT was as necessary on .05/.10 and was planning on using it when I hit the bankroll for .25/.50 if I ever got that far...

tiltaholic
07-25-2005, 04:22 PM
from a $ point of view, you pay less per hand to post in the CO.

7 hands for 1 sb in the CO = 0.142 SB/hand
10 hands for 1.5 sb in the BB = 0.15 SB/hand

however, you miss out on being the button when posting in the CO which is a very profitable seat so it's probably a wash.

oh, and just buy PT.

aces_dad
07-25-2005, 04:24 PM
The free version won't be useful for displaying stats for long, as it only lets you import 1k hands, which you'll quickly exceed.

Try to find some bonus money to allow you to get the $55.

Guthrie
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I wait for the BB, unless I sit down in the blinds, then I'll post in CO. I never let both blinds pass me by waiting to post in CO.

GrunchCan
07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to get up an leave tables 15 times before the accumulated loss in posting behind the button was even just one big bet.

Honestly, I'll post from almost anywhere deeper than MP1, and I cut it off there only becasue I feel dirty posting in EP. I think it matters very little.

If anything, the (thin) benefit you get from any observant opponents thinking you must be a donk for posting ahead of CO far outweighs the long-term cost of posting there. Plus, if you actually make a good hand you might get a ton if action becasue everybody's thinking, "he just posted, he has 2 random cards."

I may have just convinced myself to post UTG.

johnc
07-25-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the free version still let you use the Gametime or whateverr feature it is that you guys use to see stats displayed on the table and regularly updating?

edit; I didn't think PT was as necessary on .05/.10 and was planning on using it when I hit the bankroll for .25/.50 if I ever got that far...

[/ QUOTE ]

As far I know the free version has all the features you need to get started. Using PT at lower limits will prepare and help you to step up. Every step up a limit requires improvement and PT will be key. I frankly don't see how one could really assess improvement in one's online game without it. Just pony up the $55 and it'll pay for itself.

tiltaholic
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to get up an leave tables 15 times before the accumulated loss in posting behind the button was even just one big bet.

Honestly, I'll post from almost anywhere deeper than MP1, and I cut it off there only becasue I feel dirty posting in EP. I think it matters very little.

If anything, the (thin) benefit you get from any observant opponents thinking you must be a donk for posting ahead of CO far outweighs the long-term cost of posting there. Plus, if you actually make a good hand you might get a ton if action becasue everybody's thinking, "he just posted, he has 2 random cards."

[/ QUOTE ]

don't tell shillx (i do it too sometimes)
posting (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=1554417&Forum =All_Forums&Words=posting&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Ma in=1554078&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=19813&da terange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype =&bodyprev=#Post1554417)

topspin
07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if you actually make a good hand you might get a ton if action becasue everybody's thinking, "he just posted, he has 2 random cards."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, posting UTG is weak. At that point, for just 1 more bet you can live straddle. Just imagine the action you'll get from people assuming you're a gambooooler when you flop your full house!