PDA

View Full Version : Good Check/Raise???

wontbez
07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
This is a hand from the recent 100k on Paradise

you're in the BB with 11k in chips blinds are 300/600, you've got K9 off suit, middle player limps13k in chips, know nothing about his play) late position limps and SB completes.

Flop comes down KJ6 rainbow, SB checks you check (with the intention of a check raise) middle limper bets 1200, it's folded around and you raise to 5k, MP calls!!

the turn is a 3. Two questions

Was the check/raise a good idea?
How would you play the turn and river?

Thanks

Isura
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
I might just lead out or check/call the flop. Also, 5k is too big to checkraise with this hand imo. Maybe 3000-3500, but I'm not crazy about putting so much money in the pot with top pair mid kicker at this stage. You're surely beat when he calls the flop raise, so check and hope he checks it down.

RiverDood
07-25-2005, 04:32 PM
The check-raise play feels dubious to me. K9 is a decent hand with this flop, but it's not as good as KT or KQ, let alone KJ. All of those could have limped in -- and if they did, they're going to clobber you.

I assume the CR was meant to get some money out of anyone playing middle pair with a Jack. But AJ might already have raised preflop, and anything J9 or lower probably wouldn't have played. So there are only two Jx hands that are likely to be live. In short, you've got a good shot at collecting someone else's flop bet if QJ or JT got dealt.

Net result: not enough hands that obligingly bet and then fold to a C/R. Too many hands that crush you.

A better alternative at the flop would have been to bet out 1/2 to 2/3 pot and hope to take it down with the only king. If raised, let go of it. If called, try to get to the river without going broke.

Once you're in this deep, you've really got only two choices. Check/fold and get out of the hand with half your stack, or push and hope you catch something. I'd probably skulk my way to a fold -- and hope that my inevitable push with a short stack a few orbits later gets me my chips back.