PDA

View Full Version : Common online tell?

BabyJesus
07-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Not sure if anyone else has picked up this online tell. I notice it every so often at 5/10 short. It is when your opponent is out of position and freezes up on the river.

On the flop and turn the tempo of their check call is normal, then when the river card hits (either flush hits or middle card on flop pairs) they freeze up for a second or two then check again.

A good example is I have Ax on button raise it up SB calls. Flop is like x9A, he check calls in tempo. Turn is nothing, he check calls again in tempo. River is a 9 and he freezes up for a second then checks.

Does everyone else check behind in this spot? Seems to me this tell is pretty reliable, they have a plan of check calling me down. They catch something on the river then get confused about what to do now.

etizzle
07-25-2005, 03:39 PM
its usually reliable.

MAxx
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
if its a fairly good read, then it should make your bet fold that much easier... right?

or are you trying to tell me you think we should pass up on value bets when scare cards come out on river and an out of posisiton opponent takes a pause before checking.

seems like a good spot to value bet to me. i mean maybe he paused because he was scared of the scare card itself.

am i misunderstanding? what are you saying/suggesting?

irishpint
07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
i dont think there are too many online tells. sorry dude. he might be pausing for so many reasons- change cd, talk to friend, phone rang. and even poker reasons- donk bet, c/r, etc. or even computer issues. i dont like reading into slight pauses, sorry.

NLfool
07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think there are too many online tells. sorry dude. he might be pausing for so many reasons- change cd, talk to friend, phone rang. and even poker reasons- donk bet, c/r, etc. or even computer issues. i dont like reading into slight pauses, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is fairly reliable vs. say a super long pause where he might be wacking to pron or whatever. This pause is like milliseconds or 1 sec at max pause. Very small but you know when you see it.

Also if I check on the turn with position and get instabet so fast I couldn't blink that fast it's usually a decent hand so you don't need to call with nut no pair or your 66 when there a few overs (caveat is one of few chip spewers who will instabet in checked turn).

BabyJesus
07-25-2005, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't say a 9 in my example is so much of a scare card. I mean what would he be calling me down with that makes that 9 so scary? TT? Sounds like a clear 3 bet preflop.

I've only noticed this a few times, in that particular example I checked behind and he showed me like J9 or something.

I'm not saying miss out on value bets, There are times where I will second guess my self and go ahead and value bet the river. But as far as the difference between value betting then folding to the raise or just checking behind (a bet saved is a bet earned after all right??).

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this same tell and just how reliable it is. Sometimes yes it is just something random and not related to their thinking.

Another one that is reliable is usually at lower limits such as 1/2 2/4 etc, is on the river when they have the nuts, they will take the max time then raise. They usually do this with only the nuts.

irishpint
07-25-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is fairly reliable vs. say a super long pause where he might be wacking to pron or whatever. This pause is like milliseconds or 1 sec at max pause. Very small but you know when you see it.

Also if I check on the turn with position and get instabet so fast I couldn't blink that fast it's usually a decent hand so you don't need to call with nut no pair or your 66 when there a few overs (caveat is one of few chip spewers who will instabet in checked turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

each person is different i suppose, but i'd rather not rely on online tells. now we're talking slight pauses under a second? well i can give you about 40,000 different reasons why those might occur. do you m-u-l-t-i-t-a-b-l-e? i dont mean to get into much of a discussion because i really dont care and if you or some people feel justified making plays based off of these 'tells' that's not my business. im just giving my opinion.