PDA

View Full Version : OOT FAQ topics - official thread.

nothumb
07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay, a very few people seemed to be interested in the idea of an OOT FAQ/sticky thread to try to improve on the quality of OOT. I think this idea is kind of 'meh' since kids will be kids, but it's worth a shot. So I'm taking the liberty of starting this thread to see what people think an OOT sticky/guidelines/FAQ should address.

By responding you can show your support or non-support for this idea and contribute topics you'd like to see discussed. When that's done I'll come up with a beta version for review (assuming the idea gets legs... if not I will SII my own P).

This is all pending the approval of forum mods, of course.

NT

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Soon we're going to need an "Other other other topics" for people who don't like the rules in Other other topics. GodDAMN.

lucas9000
07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
are there really "frequently asked questions" in oot though? sure, some topics get brought up again and again, but it's not like they're conducive to a faq (eg, halo 2 gamertags). it seems to me that the only use of a faq in oot might be to explain cliches/acronyms that often get brought up.

overall i say no. half the fun of oot is berating n00bs!!1

nothumb
07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Soon we're going to need an "Other other other topics" for people who don't like the rules in Other other topics. GodDAMN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally fear this as well, which is why I wasn't figuring on making it a fascist document or anything. I don't think we need any more forums either. The question is, would having a sticky reduce some of the assinine behavior (whatever amount of it is in excess of the amusing assinine behavior that is OOT's trademark).

Hey, it's a hard thing to legislate. I think it's possible to make something useful out of it, others may not.

NT

mason55
07-25-2005, 02:52 PM
WTF is OOT that everyone is always talking about? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TheMainEvent
07-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I wish I could remember a comedy bit I heard a few years ago. It was when they first started making it illegal to smoke in bars. It was something to the effect of "I go out to the bar to drink poison, go home with strangers, have unprotected sex with them, and I'm supposed to be worried about second-hand smoke?"

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Don't take offense, and I do genuinely appreciate efforts to improve OOT, but you can put me on the anti-FAQ, anti-moderation list.

nothumb
07-25-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't take offense, and I do genuinely appreciate efforts to improve OOT, but you can put me on the anti-FAQ, anti-moderation list.

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken, and I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't expect the FAQ to include new rules, BTW, as most people seem to assume. I would try to do it in a lighthearted way. But, I respect the wishes of OOT if the good citizens feel otherwise.

NT

Yeti
07-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Official OOT FAQ

Q. I'm having sex with my girlfriend tonight for the first time, any advice?

A. Stick it in her pooper.

Q. There's this girl at work that I really like, what should I do!?

A. Get drunk, then call her.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Just too ridiculous. No FAQ. Everyone here figured stuff out when they got here and so will everyone else. And I don't think writing something like:
1. Just go for it, she'll never sleep with you if you don't ask her out.
2. Masturbation is normal. Just not 20 times a day.
3. Threads with the word 'girl' in them are worthless without pics.
etc.

would really make this place any better.

durron597
07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Q. There's this girl at work that I really like, what should I do!?

A. Get drunk, then call her. Then SIIHP.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

tbach24
07-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I think the whole FAQ should be the "this thread is worthless without pics" thing. Although it's always fun to see it in threads.

Edit- actually no FAQ, lucas is right, a lot of the fun is pwning n00bs.

[censored]
07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Rules:

1. Don't post about poker

2. Posts about a women celebrities must include posted picks. Posts about non-celebrity women should if possible included pics as well as it allows the OOT to better serve you.

Also I think a section of links to common posts such has I'm gay and I want to know how big your unit is as well as links to some of the all time greats like How many 5 year olds would be cool.

Example FAQ
FAQ: My post was replied to with a bog steaming pile of cow [censored], what does that mean?

jason_t
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
No FAQ. Part of the joy of OOT is absorbing all the culture that has developed ("moran", "SIIHP", the burning pile of cow s[/i]hit, etc.). A FAQ would kill some of the other culture that has developed (watching people point out that "moran" is misspelled, asking what the burning pile of cow s[/i]hit means, etc.) and would only lead to boring read the FAQ replies.

jakethebake
07-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Someone suggested THIS (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2576154&Fo rum=f20&Words=bar&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Main=257 6154&Search=true&where=sub&Name=8126&daterange=1&n ewerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypre v=#Post2576154) be the 00t sticky. Incomplete really, but I wanted to give it a shameless bump anyway. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone suggested THIS (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2576154&Fo rum=f20&Words=bar&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Main=257 6154&Search=true&where=sub&Name=8126&daterange=1&n ewerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodypre v=#Post2576154) be the 00t sticky. Incomplete really, but I wanted to give it a shameless bump anyway. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
A masterpiece, indeed.

ThaSaltCracka
07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
don't do a FAQ discussing inside OOT jokes, do one talking about posting NSFW pics, searching for current event thread (such as movies, recent events) before starting a new thread, no poker in OOT.

I think there are enough things to discuss in a FAQ that are pretty straightforward IMO, and it should be done, simply because it could help prevent duplicate threads. That is mostly what annoys me.

ThaSaltCracka
07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]attention whore.

[censored]
07-25-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
, do one talking about posting NSFW pics,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

jakethebake
07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Also this thread needs some Biel...

http://www.robertannal.com/images/2005-03-03/jessica_biel.jpg

http://www.celebs-sex-scenes.com/jessica-biel/jessica-biel-sexy-003.jpg

http://www.celebskin.net/g/jessica-biel/jessica-biel-02.jpg

The Goober
07-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I think all that should be in the OOT faq is a clearly defined set of rules for what is considered unacceptable - i.e. what will get posts deleted or users banned.

I agree with everyone else that OOT should be a free-for-all of stupidity, but the reality is that this is the 2+2 website, and 2+2 is a real company with real liability issues. Since what we say here does reflect on 2+2 as a whole, I think that Mat and co. have the right to decide what's acceptable and what's not. So far, he's been very reasonable and I'm sure he can come up with a set of guidelines that will preserve the inanity of OOT while avoiding all these "WTF? Why was I banned?" posts.

Shajen
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm down with it, obviously.

I think it should contain how to [censored] search.

That's about it.

Oh, and how to post pics, get your signature (hah) to appear, and a link to the real faq for 2+2.

ThaSaltCracka
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
specify that people post clean links, and preferably, no gigantic photos, so that threads don't get messed up.

miajag81
07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
specify that people post clean links, and preferably, no gigantic photos, so that threads don't get messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, these are the only things that really piss me off. other than that i think the whole point of OOT is to be a free-for-all.

offTopic
07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Q: I have a thin skin; should I start threads or post replies that might subject me to responses ranging from subtle criticism to blatant personal attacks?

A: No

kurosh
07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I think it should have links to all the same threads that pop up week after week. IE, what kind of car should I buy, what kind of watch should I buy, I hate Dead, etc.

lucas9000
07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't do a FAQ discussing inside OOT jokes, do one talking about posting NSFW pics, searching for current event thread (such as movies, recent events) before starting a new thread, no poker in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good idea. if there is to be a faq, it should be like this.

stabn
07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken, and I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't expect the FAQ to include new rules, BTW, as most people seem to assume. I would try to do it in a lighthearted way. But, I respect the wishes of OOT if the good citizens feel otherwise.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go at this a little different than patrick. A FAQ for an off topic folder is possibly the stupidest idea ever.

Bulldog
07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Only rule specific to OOT is no poker content, which somebody learns quickly if they mistakenly include some. Other than that, the rules that apply to all forums apply to OOT, so why a sticky?

lucas9000
07-25-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than that, the rules that apply to all forums apply to OOT, so why a sticky?

[/ QUOTE ]

we don't need/want pictures in threads discussing gus hansen, but pictures are goddamn-well required (or they should be) in any oot thread discussing a hot chick, whether she is famous or not.

SpearsBritney
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
I vote no on the FAQ. The only thing that needs to stop is the fcukin whining!

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-25-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote no on the FAQ. The only thing that needs to stop is the fcukin whining!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I'm now in favor of a single stickied, locked thread that simply says "QUIT YOUR [censored] BITCHING!"

James Boston
07-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Here's the problem with that. OOT is, in escence, devoted to stupid trivial conversation. And, it's gaining members daily. Often people will start threads, get the cow dung response, a link to a 4 month old post, and it's a poster who's only been registered for a month. I would rather see a new thread of an old topic, than a bump of a really old thread that the majority of use have already read. If there's no interest in a new discussion, it will die, provided people don't go out of there way to remind us over-and-over that's it's been done before. The exception is when someone starts a thread that can be found by looking 5 pages back. This is just laziness, and wouldn't even require a search, just that you read back a few pages. I still don't think the new posters want to be deprived of talking about the best line from The Big Lebowski, even if the old posters have already read that thread 15 times.

2planka
07-25-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm anti-FAQ, but if there is going to be one I submit the following:

Use the damn search function our you will be shitpiled.

touchfaith
07-25-2005, 05:01 PM
We don't need a FAQ, we need a Welcome Message...

"Welcome to OOT! Check you Morality and Self-righteousness at the door."

Shajen
07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
the majority of the users out there don't know how to search.

I admit that I'm not real good at it myself. The search system is pretty archaic and kinda tough to use.

A well-designed "How to" on searching would be the tits. That's all I'm saying. Nothing big like STFU noob (although, that would be good too) just a basic guide line on how to search.
But it's all good either way I guess. I'm just one dude with a taco stand and a dream.

tdarko
07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
one rule- post pics if talking about chics. other than that its every man for himslef, thats what makes this place great is that anything goes.

the OOT is the real ZOO.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 05:34 PM
jason_t's post about searching should be required reading for every user on every forum. Now practice your search skills by finding his post.

BOTW
07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I’m anti-FAQ except for help with searching and how to post pictures and links. Every forum needs this. However, here’s my version of an OOT FAQ:

Should I start a new thread?
No. You are drunk.

But I’m drunk and want to play poker!
OK, start a private table; post here and in micro since they need your cash.

But I’m not drunk.
OK, it has been posted before--use the search.

I couldn’t find it in search.
Trust me, you are going to get the pile of burning cow crap pic.

What is the pile of burning cow crap pic I got posted in my thread?
This is OOT, they love cows, crap and fire. But not you.

Is pokerjo22 really a dude?
No. She is really zoeymodel.com but got tired of getting hit on by all the losers so she made up the story about being a guy.

That’s not true, she’s a man!
I’ll believe what I want to believe.

Should I go golfing at X course?
Yes. I don’t care if X is the local par 3 or a country club. Just go.

I need a new watch.
No. You are drunk.

Should I leave my girlfriend?
You don’t have a girlfriend.

No, I really have one!
OK, liar. If she is crazy, leave. If not, don’t. Crazy is stuff like skinny-dipping with her ex. Not crazy is stuff like “quality time together”.

Who has the best steaks?
Dude, it is dead cow, just eat it. Try it well done with A-1 or Heinz 57.

What is the significance of "57"?
Although there were many more than 57 foods in production at the time, because the numbers "5" and "7" held a special significance for Henry John Heinz and his wife, he adopted the slogan "57 Varieties." Thus, a new advertising campaign was launched for Heinz 57 Varieties.

Should I sleep with Y?
Yes. I don’t care if Y is fat and ugly or ugly and fat. Get drunk first if you have to.

Is person W hot?
Probably. Do not ask this question without posting pics of W.

Is Z a good movie?
[censored] you.

But I paid to see Z and I didn’t like it!
[censored] you.

But you’ve really never heard of Z?
So what? Your obscure movie is not impressive unless you keep it that way.

What is the best beer?
The one you have in your fridge.

What is the best ABC?
STFU.

Why does Peachy say “mah”?
It is faster to type “mah” then “my”.

Is Jason_t a nit?
Yes.

Is Homer Dead?
No.

Is Dead a homer?
Yes.

Did OOT used to be a better forum?
Yes.

When?
Before you got here.

Rapper DEF is really good!
He is wack and you are a white teen from the suburbs. When you are 16 any music sounds good. When you are 18, the local scene seems like the world. Wait until you are old enough to appreciate all types of music, then come back.

Haha, you don’t even know what “wack” means!
I’m gonna wack you on the head with my 3-iron.

OK, I read this, and it didn’t answer my question, can I post a new thread now?
No.

But it is my Mom’s computer and she’ll be home soon!
So?

But it is about a hot chick and I have pics of her naked.
OK. Don’t [censored] up the links.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 06:40 PM
If I knew that would be the FAQ, I would have voted for a FAQ. Nice post.

Shajen
07-25-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jason_t's post about searching should be required reading for every user on every forum. Now practice your search skills by finding his post.

[/ QUOTE ]

His was a fantastic post. I can search, it just takes me a bit. There's a lot of switches etc, that I'm not good with yet. I'm getting there.

but I'll link it just for you.

Here you go dude. Took about 3 minutes. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2064990&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

(I just got home from work, so spare me the took you two hours to search crap folks /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[censored]
07-25-2005, 10:54 PM
BOTW - way to come out of the proverbial woodwork and hit a homerun.

jakethebake
07-25-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Post more, please!

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I knew that would be the FAQ, I would have voted for a FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

OtisTheMarsupial
07-26-2005, 01:44 AM
As usual I'm swimming against the tide. I'm fine with that. Here are my suggestions:

Q. I tried to search and my computer froze up.
A. 2+2 and OOT in particular has expanded at an alarming rate. The forum software can't keep up right now. Go ahead and start a new topic.

Q. What is SIIHP/ FYP/ NH/ moran...
A. Try Google or Urban Dictionary. OOT has few inside jokes.

Q. They're mean to me
A. They didn't get hugged as children and they think they are being funny. Or they are children and they think they are being funny.

Q. They're really really mean.
A. They just haven't shed their homophobia/ sexist attitudes/ racist attitudes/ misperception that they are gods.
Notify a mod if someone is harassing you personally.

Q. Is it OK to post pictures of my ex girlfriend without her permission?
A. No

I also like some of the other funny suggestions.

~OTIS~

nothumb
07-26-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

~OTIS~

[/ QUOTE ]

This would imply that your suggestions were funny... which they weren't.

NT

OtisTheMarsupial
07-26-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would imply that your suggestions were funny... which they weren't.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no. It's qualifying which ones I liked.

ChipWrecked
07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
I see n00bs getting slammed for not searching on any forum I use. Are there that many internet cherry-boys posting on OOT?

spamuell
07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Remember this thread? (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1337081&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

Check out how many posts TSC and jake have.

jokerthief
07-26-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me that the only use of a faq in oot might be to explain cliches/acronyms that often get brought up.

overall i say no. half the fun of oot is berating n00bs!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that would take all the fun out of calling someone a moran.

tbach24
07-26-2005, 07:55 PM
There are a couple problems with your Q&A:

1. There were no questions. Only statements and answers.
2. It's definitely okay to post naked pictures of ex's w/o permission in OOT, in fact it's a good thing.

MrWookie47
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I knew that would be the FAQ, I would have voted for a FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. That was a [censored] gem.

OtisTheMarsupial
07-27-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a couple problems with your Q&A:

1. There were no questions. Only statements and answers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever. I'm OK with that.
[ QUOTE ]

2. It's definitely okay to post naked pictures of ex's w/o permission in OOT, in fact it's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, here's my perspective on that. Cecilia Barnes sued Yahoo! (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8004052/) because they allowed her ex boyfriend to post nude photos of her online along with her address and phone number. Now, even if she doesn't win, she still created havok for Yahoo! So, I just think to be on the safe side, you shouldn't post photos of people who haven't given their explicit permission, except celebrities.

ThaSaltCracka
07-27-2005, 02:04 AM
the important things are bolded:
[ QUOTE ]
OK, here's my perspective on that. Cecilia Barnes sued Yahoo! because they allowed her ex boyfriend to post nude photos of her online along with her address and phone number. Now, even if she doesn't win, she still created havok for Yahoo! So, I just think to be on the safe side, you shouldn't post photos of people who haven't given their explicit permission, except celebrities.

[/ QUOTE ]