PDA

View Full Version : WPT Satelite

07-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Okay so this is my first post so I apologize for any errors in the post. I just played in my first live satelite over the weekend.

45 + 15 WPT satelite at Foxwoods
9 players left
Blinds 25/50

UTG: (2000) Limps
UTG+1: Folds
MP: (1350) Limps
4 fold to the button
Hero: OTB (1200) A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Raise to 150
SB: Folds
BB: Folds
UTG: Calls 100
MP: Calls 100

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG: Checks
MP: Checks
Hero: Bets 200
UTG: Folds
MP: Calls

Turn: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP: Checks
Hero: Bets 400
MP: Calls

River: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero: pushes (gets ugly look from dealer for acting out of turn, hero kicks himself in the ass for losing concentration as he drags his chips back)
MP: Moves all in
Hero: calls

MP: Shows 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a 10 high straight.

Now before you all give me your feed back let me give my thought process. The bet on the flop after the check was my attempt to see where I was at, expecting a re-reaise if someone hit a set or the straight on the flop. Given that I wasn't re-raised I believed I had the best hand when the King came on the turn so I tried to maximize my return by betting only 400 or about 1/3 the pot to induce a call. Then once the river came and I lost my concentration for a second (a friend of mine waved at me saying he was doing well in his game). I pushed the rest of my chips in out of turn, i thought mp checked. When I draged them back MP pushed and I knew I was beat but felt I had to call given my faux-pa.

Aside from the bad etiquette did I play it right or was the MP being a donk and I should be happy with my effort? Looking back I feel i should have pushed on the turn....

07-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I probably would of made a bet 1/2 the size of the pot when you hit your Kings. If you bet a little higher he would of had no business going on a belly draw, and if he did i would say he was a donk but it is possiable he put you on aq or aj, thinking you didnt pair the board yet thinkig his 9's were best, so he was happy with staying in for cheap. And as far as pushing before your turn, i would say its an honest mistake, im sure we all have done it by mistake at some point. Just gotta keep your concentration up when you are playing big hands and disreguard all outside distractions until hand is over. Hope my insight maybe helped a little bit, good luck

07-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That's kind of what I thought. A little more and it becomes a more dificult decision while making my return better when he doesn't hit the hand all at the same time. Where as the all in on the turn may have chased him out but not gotten the best return.

Now that leads to another question, when in a satelite or SNG should you be looking to maximize your return or should you just be looking to get what you can safely and stay ahead of the rising blinds?

Jbrochu
07-25-2005, 05:53 PM
He drew to 6.7:1 odds (4 outs to the straight + 2 outs for trips) when you offered him only 4:1 pot odds. I think you made the correct play and he got lucky.

I've seen far worse calls in almost every Act I that I've played though...

07-25-2005, 06:57 PM
after stepping back, did you have any solid reads on him, maybe placing him as the "calling station" of the table. Not much you could of done with calling stations catching cards unless you put a big bet in to get him out of a hand he should not be playing or bet big and hope to get him all in with a lesser hand. Which essentially you did, he just got lucky, like stated above 6.7:1 with a total of 6outs or so for him.

Im not trying to hijack your thread but am i wrong in saying that suckouts are somewhat your-own fault if your not all in preflop. Please correct me if im wrong just somethign ive been thinking about lately. Ill write more on the subject matter if anyones open for a discussion on this.

KingMedicine
07-25-2005, 07:08 PM
you should have ended the hand when you hit your K.

Bet the pot and you win it there. I would have put him on a lower pair, but you dont want to give him a cheap shot (1/3 of the pot) at hitting a second pair or tripping up.

LotsOfOuts69
07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Act 1's at foxwoods play worse than 5+1's on Party. Your line was fine, but honestly, I may have checked behind on the flop, you dont get alot of chips or alot of time, so you cant waste 20% of your stack figuring out where you are. Don't make any tricky plays, they wont be understood. Good Luck.

07-26-2005, 12:05 PM
It was too early for a reliable read, it usually takes me about 20 - 30 hands for me to get comfortable with my read. Anywho, I found out later the guy was on the loose side. Calling with over cards into a 4 way pot w/ no pair and no draw, re-raising with baby flush draws on the turn into the chip leader, typical loose play kind of stuff. Though like I said I didn't have this info before I sat down at the table, plus it was third hand so not what I would stake anything serious on it.

As far as suckouts being your own fault, I'd have to say it depends. If the suck-er gets proper odds from the suck-ee then it's the suck-ee's fault. However if the suck-er is not getting proper odds then it's just bad luck and the suck-ee shouldn't be blamed for what is, up until the final card hits, a bad call.

07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. I guess I was expecting more straight up play from the other players given the buy in :-P. Silly me.