PDA

View Full Version : How to play dead cards?

07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Sometimes I can outlast the garbage cards, but about 20-33% of the online tournaments I’m playing I seem to suffer from dead cards throughout the entire tournament. Where the whole game I’m getting: 73o, J2o, 62s, T3o, 96o, 74o, A4o, Q3s, K2o, J4o, 72o, Q5o, 24o, 85o, 85s, and so on (on a 10-seat table). Whereas most of the rest of the table doesn’t seem to be suffering the same cards.

I’ve tried virtually putting up a tent and camping out waiting for better cards, but eventually the rising blinds whittle me down. Once in a while I can steal a hand, but not enough to do more than prolong the end.

On a tournament Friday night, I got 73o five times in the first 20 hands (and of the other 15 hands, KTo was the highest cards I’d seen). On this tournament, I lasted 103 hands. Of which I won 4 hands (3 of which I stole). And there were two garbage hands that I had folded that would have hit had I stayed in (one of the 73o’s that I folded had a flop come 773, and a 52o I folded flopped A52 and would have won with 2pr).

But basically in 103 hands, I had the high cards 3 times. That is around 3%, whereas on the coin toss I should be around 10%. My initial reaction was that sometimes the coin toss comes up ‘heads’ 10 times in a row… but the frequency with which the ‘dead’ cards seem to occur is making me start to think that I need to come up with a strategy to deal with them rather than trying to outlast them.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Wolf101
07-25-2005, 02:13 PM
This happens to me sometimes, and I would assume to everyone sooner or later. Not much you can do about the cards you get.

I do find that after sitting there like a mook for fifteen hands when I do come in people generally respect my raises. I hate to lower my standards but sometimes you have to. I usually wait until I'm in late position, observe the players and make a move with the crappy cards in order to stay alive. It helps if you can hold out doing this until your down to a table of sevn or six. You can only wait it out for so long. I can remember times when I was sure that the next hand would be playable only to peek down at another 26o.

Just my two cents...I've been there too.

07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Nobody knows what cards you are getting except for you.

intheflatfield
07-25-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I can outlast the garbage cards, but about 20-33% of the online tournaments I’m playing I seem to suffer from dead cards throughout the entire tournament. Where the whole game I’m getting: 73o, J2o, 62s, T3o, 96o, 74o, A4o, Q3s, K2o, J4o, 72o, Q5o, 24o, 85o, 85s, and so on (on a 10-seat table). Whereas most of the rest of the table doesn’t seem to be suffering the same cards.

I’ve tried virtually putting up a tent and camping out waiting for better cards, but eventually the rising blinds whittle me down. Once in a while I can steal a hand, but not enough to do more than prolong the end.

On a tournament Friday night, I got 73o five times in the first 20 hands (and of the other 15 hands, KTo was the highest cards I’d seen). On this tournament, I lasted 103 hands. Of which I won 4 hands (3 of which I stole). And there were two garbage hands that I had folded that would have hit had I stayed in (one of the 73o’s that I folded had a flop come 773, and a 52o I folded flopped A52 and would have won with 2pr).

But basically in 103 hands, I had the high cards 3 times. That is around 3%, whereas on the coin toss I should be around 10%. My initial reaction was that sometimes the coin toss comes up ‘heads’ 10 times in a row… but the frequency with which the ‘dead’ cards seem to occur is making me start to think that I need to come up with a strategy to deal with them rather than trying to outlast them.

Any ideas? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're description of what your'e going thru matches mine almost exactly. I still don't have a clear answer, and my frustration seems to be growing exponentially.

Guthrie
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Judging from the number of times it has cracked my pocket Kings, A4o is a premium holding.

07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody knows what cards you are getting except for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard to bluff a lot if the other players never actually see you win on the showdowns. Eventually you're going to get called, and if they see you trying to steal with 26o, they will be more inclined to stay in the next time you try to steal (at which point it would be effective if you actually HAD a good hand...but lack of good hands is the issue).

07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
A4o certainly is premium, but it's nothing compared to 63o, that one trumps all cards, hahaha, is it obvious i've suffered some very bad beats lately??

CORed
07-26-2005, 12:47 PM
It's called variance (or bad luck if you're not a geek). It's why you have a bankroll. You do have a bankroll, don't you?

07-26-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's called variance (or bad luck if you're not a geek). It's why you have a bankroll. You do have a bankroll, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but I'm a piss poor loser. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Online games are great for poor losers. You can rant and rave all you want (also good for poor winners for the same reasons).

Master5hake
07-26-2005, 02:45 PM
I am for the most part a lurker on these boards - but I feel the need to speak up today and ask you to stop posting until you get some sort of understanding that NO ONE gives a crap about your 'bad cards'. How many discussions have you started on the subject? That along with the story you made up about the (online) deck with five sixes in it you are cluttering the board with useless crap

07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
12year old, it will be nice when your school starts up again and you're not contributing your 'witty' comments all day long.

I think you may have missed one of my posts. Better search it out so that you can add an infantile response.