PDA

View Full Version : Tommy's CD

PokerBabe(aka)
03-02-2003, 01:20 PM
I just listened (3 times) to Tommy’s new CD entitled “I’m Running Bad”. Tommy’s poker songs reflect the highs and lows of the game we love. The cocky and arrogant “I’m Running Good” delights from the start as a David Byrne-ish sounding Tommy quips: “You missed again?, ha I knew you would”. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif The unsyncopated rhythms of “Raiser’s Edge” are a fine groove, and when we add the Tommyism “raise the river and fold for one more bet” the picture of a frustrated steamer clearly emerges. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The ultra smooth description of the “Slowroller” reflects our Tommy’s supercool powers of perception. Tommy slowrolls the roller in this one, as we knew he would…and a fine story it is. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif “I’m Runnin’ Bad” is a dismal Tommy begging for sympathy from his Babe, as he wonders if Taco Bell is ok for dinner. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif The last two tracks (I Need Money and The Present) are not strictly poker related ruminations. The Present is a philosophical discussion between Tommy and Tommy, perhaps after a long night of playing. If you know Tommy like I do, you will find him all over this CD. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif “Ni Groove, Sir”. Be sure to check out his webpage (imrunningbad.com) to order the CD and cute hats. LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Phat Mack
03-02-2003, 04:46 PM
At first I thought the above post was one of Babe's pranks. I assumed that tom was a "hummer,' and that the Babe had just spent a long session sitting next to him, deciding to post a review of what she had been listening to for the last 12 hours. Actually, it's not a prank. Tommy has a cool web site, a cool cd, and some cool hats.

Be sure to read the comment from Tom's sister, Jude.

Zeno
03-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Tommy,

You need a triad of Hats. "i'm running bad" , "I'm Running Good", and "i'm Running".

Repeat and fade......

-Zeno (PS enjoyed your website /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )

Rick Nebiolo
03-03-2003, 01:50 AM
We had a Tommyfest last night. Played holdem on PP, never open limped, folded a good hand on the river after being reraised, listened to Tommy's CD four times, and between tracks and hands read a bunch of his great stories on his website.

Hero and I were smiling the whole way through /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

~ Rick

Lurker
03-03-2003, 12:35 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Played holdem on PP, never open limped, folded a good hand on the river after being reraised

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but did you raise preflop and fold to one more bet before the flop came down? That's the REAL Tommy special, or so Ray Zee says. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Abe
03-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Nice website, Tommy. And -----ooooh, I want to buy one of those hats, maybe two. OK OK, I'll buy a CD too.

Bring some of each to the 2 + 2 seminar at the Mirage.

Bob T.
03-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Got Tommy's CD, and played it on my computer while playing online. I enjoyed it, but I found myself compelled to raise every time I held the button.

Howard Burroughs
03-07-2003, 05:49 AM
What's your favorite poker song?

I've always been partial to Grand Funk Railroad singing about an all night poker game with blues legend Freddie King in "We're an American Band". Or who can forget Sir McCartney singing about being in a high stakes poker game in "Junior's Farm".

Well thanks to Tommy Angelo, the music world now has an entire CD of original poker songs.

In ten words or less.......

Get the CD, it's good.

In a tad over ten words..........

Tommy Angelo's "I'm Running Bad":

20:20,

No, we're not talking about good vision, the tv show, or a $20-$40 game gone amok. 20:20 my friends is the length of this six song CD. Clocking in at twenty minutes &amp; twenty seconds makes this CD actually shorter then some Allman Brothers Band songs! (ie Mountain Jam, Whipping Post - Fillmore East version, etc). Oh well, "Jar of Flies" from Alice in Chains is only 30:53 and it hasn't left my disk changer in many a year (and I have well over 1,000 cds).

In the tradition of Johnny Winter (who included the songs "I Love Everybody" &amp; "I Hate Everybody" on the same LP), Tommy gives us "I'm Running Good" and "I'm Running Bad" on the same CD.

btw, Tommy himself plays all of the instruments on this ever tuneful poker CD.

I've always been a sucker for a song that quotes another classic song. Whether it was Jimi Hendrix's Stratocaster quoting "Tomorrow Never Knows" at an LA nightclub while an inebriated Jim Morrison belted out "Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead", playing "Taps" within his brilliant rendition of our national anthem at Woodstock. Or maybe Duane Allman &amp; Dicky Betts harmonizing "Frere Jacques" at the end of an extended Fillmore jam or James Hetfield &amp; Kirk Hammett breaking into Jimmy Page's main riff from "How many More Times?", at the end of a live song.

Tommy breaks into "Linus &amp; Lucy" towards the end of "I'm Running Good" and it never sounded so good.
Next up is "The Raiser's Edge". A song that sounds like it would have fit right in on the Stones' masterpiece, "Exile on Main Street". Tommy even sounds quite a bit like the late great Nicky Hopkins on piano on this number.

"Slowroller" is blues baby. Standing on that sacred 12 bar musical holy ground. The ground where Muddy, Lightnin' &amp; Howlin' Wolf all walked. Of course blues doesn't really have to be 12 bars to be blues. It's just gotta be a good man feeling bad. Blues IS the late John Lee Hooker testifying his soul in a small recording studio half a century ago on "When My First Wife Left Me", "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" or "I'm Bad Like Jesse James".

Well it's now 2003 and blues IS Tommy Angelo doing some testifying of his own on "Slowroller".
Mississippi legend has it that the devil himself said to a young Robert Johnson on a delta crossroads afternoon nearly a century ago........"You can't trust a man who says he doesn't mind being slowrolled in a poker game".
Tommy can be trusted, for he sure does not like to be slowrolled. This song's about redemption with a touch of humour. Tommy's definitely got his mojo working.
Hooker, Johnson, Muddy &amp; the Wolf would all be proud.

"I'm Running Bad" - The story every poker player can relate to.

"I Need Money" - After two previous mentions of Taco Bell on the CD, this song mentions a T-bone steak. Any wonder I'm always hungry after I listen to this record?

Tommy saved the best for last. The strongest track on the CD is "The Present". His vocals really shine on this one. This song is hypnotic. I find myself listening to this song over &amp; over &amp; over again. Ain't music great? And to think, it's the only non poker song on the CD.

Thanks Tommy for putting out such a fun &amp; enjoyable CD. Not just for poker players, but all music fans alike.

Best

Howard

Bill Murphy
03-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Boy, how many "Hey,Jude" riffs do you think Tommy got off on her while they were growing up? Poor girl.. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Tommy Angelo
03-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Bill,

"Boy, how many "Hey,Jude" riffs do you think Tommy got off on her while they were growing up? Poor girl.."

I was 12 and she was 21. Tear-gas riots were going on four blocks from our home (at Ohio State). Here I was wondering if I'd have to move to Canada when I turned 18, to dodge the draft. (So cool!). And my hippie sister was a bona-fide war protester, and she happened to be named after a life-shatteringly great Beatles song that just came out. It was a big time.

Tommy