PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip: Looking for good places to see and things to do...

Beezos
07-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I am taking a five week road trip. I would like to stop and do some tourist stuff. for example, i would like to stop at famous landmarks, locations for hiking/outdoor activities, museums, scenic overlooks while enroute...

I am leaving New York City and going west through Jersey, PA, Ohio (stopping in Oberlin), Indiana (stopping in South Bend), and Illinois (chicago). From there I am heading to Iowa, Nebraska, upthrough the Dakotas to Montana, then to Seattle where we will head down the whole West coast (stops in Portland, Eureka, SF, Santa Cruz, LA, San Diego. From there we are going to Phoenix, denver, Kansas City, St. louis... circling back to new york...

so any posters who who think they can help me out please let me know if i will be nearby any good places to see or things to do ...

thanks,
beezos

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Badlands National Park

groo
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
lake tahoe, yosemite, southern utah/northern arizona

ddollevoet
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I did a consulting project in South Bend a few years back. There was this restaurant / bar called Goobi's (Gubi's?). Anyway they have a 1 lb. hamburger (Goobi-burger) that is pretty good.

Mayhap
07-25-2005, 01:15 PM
San Diego: Go to Julian. hike, eat the apple pie.
San Diego: Go to Temeculah Valley, drink the wine.

bennyk
07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Badlands National Park

[/ QUOTE ]
Appropriately, the first reply.

You can take a helicopter ride over the park for like $16. You should do at least the $36 one though, it's longer.

Also, Wall, SD is kind of an entertaining town.

bk

MrTrik
07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I head from MN, through ND/SD to MT and WY every summer for vacation. I have family and friends in Bozeman.

Deadwood, SD is a great time on a Fri or Sat night if you like to party and experience some decent Blues music.

South of Livingston, MT is a place called Chico Hot Springs. A nice stay for a night or two.

The drive through the Gallatin range is quite awesome with lots to do like rafting, kyaking, horses and stuff. But if you're headed to Seattle I doubt you'll be on that route.

If you're in Bozeman for Sunday brunch, check out Loouis Downunder. Nice place.

The Badlands in both Dakota's are worth seeing. If you get south to WY Yellowstone for sure. Glacier in Northern MT is quite awesome.

jason_t
07-25-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am taking a five week road trip. I would like to stop and do some tourist stuff. for example, i would like to stop at famous landmarks, locations for hiking/outdoor activities, museums, scenic overlooks while enroute...

I am leaving New York City and going west through Jersey, PA, Ohio (stopping in Oberlin), Indiana (stopping in South Bend), and Illinois (chicago). From there I am heading to Iowa, Nebraska, upthrough the Dakotas to Montana, then to Seattle where we will head down the whole West coast (stops in Portland, Eureka, SF, Santa Cruz, LA, San Diego. From there we are going to Phoenix, denver, Kansas City, St. louis... circling back to new york...

so any posters who who think they can help me out please let me know if i will be nearby any good places to see or things to do ...

thanks,
beezos

[/ QUOTE ]

In Colorado, drive up Mount Evans and visit Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park.

RyGreen18
07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
when you go through st. louis, you must eat on 'the hill' and you should probably go to a cardinals game.

touchfaith
07-25-2005, 01:38 PM
When you get to California, take HWY 108 to the last left hand fork in the road before the summit. Take that road all the way to the end. Hike from there 3 miles straight back along the trail and take a left up the hill at the first trail marker. Hike up hill for about 2 miles until you spot a rock-on-a-rock next to a tree with a coke can nailed to it and fork right. 2 more miles up until it levels out for about 1/2 mile.

The lake is on the right.

Don't [censored] up my fire ring.

Bulldog
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I live in Eastern PA. Choices for this area, depending on your interest--Amish Country, Hersheypark & the chocolate factory, and Gettysburg. Gettysburg is pretty cool if you have any interest in history. Hersheypark is an average amusement park, but the chocolate factory tour is interesting. I live in Amish Country, so I think it's boring, but if you are coming through on a Sunday afternoon/evening, I've got a poker game for you!