PDA

View Full Version : Turbo SNG's vs Regular SNG's

FishHooks
07-25-2005, 11:55 AM
What type of SNG is more profitable for a skill poker player, do the Turbos just become crap shoots after a while, or is that also part of the skill in learning how to be the turbos effectively. I'm just curious....

P.S. I seem to do better in regular SNG but my sample size is way way too small to come to any valid conclusions.

future
07-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Most of us play on PP where there is less postflop play and almost exclusively preflop ABC decisions around the bubble. This is because of the huge blinds/stack ratio. These are easier to mulitable, but the variance is much higher. If your goal is to make money I would multitable the Turbos. If you just wish to improve your play and have fun with less variance, I would play the regular SNGs

The once and future king
07-25-2005, 12:31 PM
I like turbos on stars because they are a compromise.

They have a fast blind structure for your hourly rate and they have deep stacks for your ROI.

FishHooks
07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
The main reason I'm playing on pokerstars is the fact that I have $360 worth of bonus money to clear.

tjh
07-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Of course a regular SNG favors a skilled player. More time and more hands to outplay the others.

However....
A skilled player tends to favor the turbo's because you get more $/hr. 40 minutes to win vs 80 minutes.

I suppose a pro can play well at any of them. I favor the regular SNG's at the big stacked/slow blind sites such as UB or PokerStars.

An awareness of the blinds and the ability to adjust your play accordingly are all that it takes to switch from one to the other. Expect higher variance at the short stack/fast blind sites such as Party Poker.

Focus on one class of SNG's until you show some income and then try the others. The main focus of this forum seems to be the Party Poker style SNG. When you post hands from UB or stars please note the buy-in and wether they are turbo or not.

--
tjh

proell
07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Makes sense that the superior poker player will win more often, the longer the structure is (more chances for the inferior player to make mistakes).

But the turbo's are not entirely a crapshoot, just requires a stronger understanding of push/fold play.

I prefer the Turbo's (and party structure) because they are easier to multitable. The more post-flop play, the more complex the decision-making, and the more important player reads become... which is difficult to do with 12 simultaneous tables.

11t
07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Experienced players definitely have a bigger edge in the regular tournaments but turbo sng's will allow you to achieve a higher $/hr.

Time = money for me and I hate wasting time beating awful players when I can do it quicker and for more profit in a turbo.

FishHooks
07-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I do agree the turbo on stars are a compromise when comparing the reguarl PP SNG games, maybe I should keep playing those turbos, especially since I'm trying to work off the stars bonus.

Isura
07-25-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do agree the turbo on stars are a compromise when comparing the reguarl PP SNG games, maybe I should keep playing those turbos, especially since I'm trying to work off the stars bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the stars turbo structure is MUCH faster than party's structure.

jeffraider
07-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Do the Stars Turbo SNGs run very often? Like could I get 4 $27s running in two or three minutes?

codewarrior
07-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Absolutely. More like 5 minutes. It depends on the time of day.

FishHooks
07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
You also start with twice as many chips

proell
07-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Stars Turbo games actually take longer than party t800 ones because of the deeper stacks, in my experience.

gisb0rne
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I play exclusively the $25+2 turbo's, and I've moved from 4-tabling to 6-tabling recently. The games start fairly quickly (usually within 1 minute) and I complete about 6 tourneys/hour when 4-tabling and about 9 tourneys/hour when 6-tabling.

If only PP skins would fix that damn lobby, I'd be over there (only for the larger game selection, PS has better structure imo) but as it is I can't handle it.

pooh74
07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play exclusively the $25+2 turbo's, and I've moved from 4-tabling to 6-tabling recently. The games start fairly quickly (usually within 1 minute) and I complete about 6 tourneys/hour when 4-tabling and about 9 tourneys/hour when 6-tabling.

If only PP skins would fix that damn lobby, I'd be over there (only for the larger game selection, PS has better structure imo) but as it is I can't handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

r u "iamtrying" by chance?

pooh74
07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do the Stars Turbo SNGs run very often? Like could I get 4 $27s running in two or three minutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

easily...especially peak.

Superfluous Man
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Also, you're paying less vig. I'm going to start playing the $27 turbos again now that I have some money in 'stars and a bonus to clear.

UMTerp
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
If you win a Turbo, it'll take between 40 and 50 minutes a good percentage of the time. From what I read, that's a little longer than the average Party win takes.

UMTerp
07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure there's a regular named "Gisborne" on there. I'm guessing that's him. Avatar of some cartoon-looking thingy.

pooh74
07-25-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure there's a regular named "Gisborne" on there. I'm guessing that's him. Avatar of some cartoon-looking thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok...I just re-entered playing the 27s (3-4 tabling) a couple of days ago.

Im trying to get a feel for the multitablers and "iamtrying" seems like he has been at every table ive played. Plays 6 at a time...havent seen too many play more than 4 turbos on stars (besides u terp) so i thought it was him.