PDA

View Full Version : Am I too readable?

Wingnut
07-25-2005, 11:46 AM
A couple of river check-raises that yielded no extra $$. Did I play these too predictably or did these otherwise fishy players just have good reads?

Lake Charles, Isle of Capri 3-6-12 (6 turn bet/raise, 6 or 12 river bet/raise)

Hand 1:
Villian is semi-solid, but fishy pre-flop. He will bet his position, and is currently in the cutoff. Doesn't raise very much without very strong hand.

Hero in BB with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Pre-flop, several limpers, including villian in cutoff. SB completes, I check.

Flop J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Checked through to Villian who bets, I call, couple of others call

Turn offsuit 4, so I pick up OESD with flush draw. Checked to Villian who bets, I am the only caller. (Should I have bet out on this one?)

River offsuit 6. I check, Villian bets, I raise, Villian says "made your straight?" and mucks.

Hand 2:
Villian (different from hand 1) is a loose player, who will bet in any position when he has a piece of the board if checked to, but won't raise unless he has the nuts or near nuts. He will also fold to a bet if he completely missed.

Hero is BB with 22
Pre-flop, 5 limpers, including Villian, SB completes, I check my option.

Flop A62, 2 hearts (6 & 2) SB checks, I bet out, Villian and one other limper calls.

Turn A /images/graemlins/spade.gif [A 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]. I check to Villian, intending to call and then c/r the river, where the money is doubled. Villian predictably bets, others fold, I call

River off-suit blank (5?). I check, villian bets 12, I c/r to 24, Villian folds A7 face-up.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
-David

shant
07-25-2005, 12:02 PM
No, you're not too readable. The board had a 4-card straight on the board, and you checkraised the river. He probably had 1-pair and knew he was beat.

In hand 2 I really hate the check-call, check-raise plan. Just bet and if he has a A he will raise and you can 3-bet it.

MrEngenic
07-25-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I check to Villian, intending to call and then c/r the river, where the money is doubled

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why check/call the turn in hand 2? If he has an A he will raise if you bet so you can 3-bet. Or if you CR turn he'll 3-bet so you can cap.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian folds A7 face-up

[/ QUOTE ]

If people can do this against you and not loose sleep over it you know the answer to your question.
Is this a joke post or an actual 4k/8k hand with Ivey vs Brunson, way above my thinking, or what?

avisco01
07-25-2005, 12:11 PM
The first hand was basically the predictability of the board IMO. Four to a straight, but Villain probably made the mistake himself for not calling one more. Perhaps Villain missed a big flush draw (AQs?). Not sure what happened that second hand. Perhaps Villain was the ghost of Stu Unger. Maybe Villain had a program to see his opponents cards (I see those advertised all the time). Not sure how anybody could fold trip aces in that spot, but again, I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong in either hand.

meep_42
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd bet out the first hand, that's not a board that's gonna hit a lot of people and you want to make sure a bet goes in somewhere here.

On the second, I like the turn bet-3bet line better than a bet-c/r line. If he doesn't have an A, you still might make some money this hand if you bet the turn.

-d

avisco01
07-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I guess this hand wasn't played online, my bad. Ok, well, you wanted to just call the turn in hand 2 so you could bet the double amount on the river. I've never played in a game where you can bet 6 or 12, so I'm not sure about any strategic differences. I think you raising from 12 to 24 indicated to your opponent that you had at least a bigger ace. I don't think you should criticize yourself for this, but give credit to, or criticize Villain here. How can he fold trip aces for one more bet in this spot? If I were you I would have shown one of my hole cards after he revealed his hole cards. Make him think you had A2 or something, or that you picked up something on him indicating that you can bluff him off a big hand with a big raise on the end.

Octopus
07-25-2005, 12:23 PM
In the first one, we don't know what he had, but a busted draw seems likely and the board is pretty scary in any case. I wouldn't put it up to any particularly good read.

I probably wouldn't fold the second one, but his hand is pretty weak. Almost any other ace beats him (including A2, A5, and A6). Unless he thinks you might check-raise bluff, he is beat.

avisco01
07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Duh, if you just show the 2 and he thinks you had A2 it will reconfirm his "great laydown." I'd still show only one card in this spot, let him think about it for a while.

Lost Wages
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Any word on when L'Auberge du Lac's poker room will open?

Lost Wages

Bodhi
07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Your opponents know they're beat because you're probably a passive player. Slowplaying/check-raising big hands in predictable places isn't going to win the money.

jat850
07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
First hand - what is the most likely position to hold a 5 in their hand for the straight? BB = you.
2nd hand - Shant has the plan to get more $. You told your villian with your bet that you were not afraid of 3 aces. This looks like betting patterns and position decisions, not necessarily reads of your habits. Also, I know some people call down new players early at a table to see what the new player is made of. Other players are tighter and fold easily to raises from new players UNTIL they get a read that is specific to you. Sounds like you encountered the latter tight reaction to a relatively new player at their table.