PDA

View Full Version : Thiings to do in Raleigh

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
The Atlanta thread made me realise that this may actually be a good way of getting good suggestions for fun things to do. I'm 25 and in Raleigh for 1-4 months with some other 20-30 yr old colleagues. What's fun to do around here? Thanks.

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 10:55 AM
for hipster type stuff, go to for kings (http://www.kingsbarcade.com/) to rock. go to the place next door (used to be vertigo diner, renamed) for good drinks/food (plus fun everchanging cocktails). ask to see the rolodex of cocktails, it's the biggest list I've ever seen anywhere (most of them were invented by the bartender). I recommend onion head monster's (http://www.onionheadmonster.com/) milk of magnesia.

the comet lounge on hillsborough st, if still there, is fun. sadlack's heros (also on hillborough) has a weird local crowd but bands all the time and is also fun (ryan adams used to work there).

for more hippeiesh less indie stuff go to martin st music hall (http://www.martinstreetmusichall.com/home.php), also the bar downstairs (called lizzie's) is fun as well.

ross grady, who's like the quintessential chapel hill indie rock guy, has a website he updates with weekly events here (http://www.trianglerock.com/).

the moore square area of downtown raleigh, with the pour house and a gazillion irish bars, is also a fun area. if you're downtown during the day, check out the super old skool cooper's bbq joint around the block.

the powerhouse area (near glenwood ave) has lots of yuppieish places and a lot of irish bars (the hibernian being my favorite). my favorite place to go drinking on glenwood is the underrated rockford on glenwood ave, it's above a hairstyling place across the st from the hibernian.

2nd Empire (on hillsborough st almost at the end) is a very good restaraunt, but my favorite is irregardless cafe (although it's gone downhill a little in recent years). the quintessential nc steakhouse is angus barn, though sullivan's downtown is apparently good also. humble pie is also a good restaurant, and close to some dance clubs. also I think the five star (http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/11437630) (swank chinese place) has djs/dancing, I was there a year ago and it was a great place for hip hop although that may have changed.

for milkshakes and burgers, you have to go to the founded in the 60's char grill on hillsborough near st. mary's. order at the window and eat outside. for late night munchies, go watch them make doughnuts at the gigantic full donut machine view krispy kreme on person street (open 24 hrs). as long as you're eating heart attack style, the cream and bean on hillborough st. has homemade ice cream. get roasted right there coffee at cup a joe further down hillborough.

special mention is the movies skip elsimher does at kings, called av geeks (http://www.avgeeks.com/). it's weird old films from the 50's and stuff, very funny.

for indie movies or rocky horror, go to five points and check out the rialto which is raleigh's oldest movie theatre. just up the street is lily's pizza which is quite good.

every time I go back to raleigh we end up going to the jackpot on hillborough st just in time for last call every single night. it's a dive but I like it. also mitch's tavern across from nc state on hillborough st. is a great, classic bar.

in case you can't tell, I grew up in raleigh, so PM me if you have questions or want more stuff to do. it's a great town with a great music scene, writing this I can't believe I miss it as much as I do /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
POTY for sure. I knew you were a fantastic poster, but I thought it was limited to strategy posts! Thanks, man.

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 11:24 AM
post a trip report!

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm very bad and lazy at writing, but I'll try! (I'm here for a month at least, though, so everything will be scattered around most likely. Not sure how that will work for a trip report.) I guess I could start with the Bikini Bar Wars Finals that I attended last night, but maybe I'll save it for later. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ghostface
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I'll be back at State on the 2nd. Didnt think anyone lived/was ever that close to me. Especially a respected/good poster like you guys.

Are you in Raleigh turnipmonster? Is anyone for that matter?

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm just here working on a consulting project. I really live in NYC. I'll be here for 1-5 months, though. PM me if you'll be around (particularly if you'll be playing poker nearby!)

ghostface
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah and all the clubs I've been to suck, and they suck even more the drunker you get.

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I live in nyc now but grew up in raleigh and went to ncsu. the best big bet player I know lives in raleigh though /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

--turnipmonster

ghostface
07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll be sure to avoid him. I was playing in the 200k one time and was at a table with a guy from NCSU and he was talking about some guys that get together and play 20 man $100 buyin tourneys (!!). A little big for my bankroll. Other than that I just take all the money from the guys that play in my dorm for $10 every thursday night.

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
the one thing about raleigh is it's not much of a college town, although last time I was back hillborough st seemed a lot busier. when I was at state, almost everyone I knew lived off campus, had a job/co-op and stuff and all that. not at all like chapel hill, which is much more of what I would call a traditional college experience.

even though I hung out a lot around all the places I mentioned in college, it was like most of the ncsu crowd pretty much avoided downtown, which always struck me as weird. for about 8 years now there's been tons of stuff to do downtown though, it's really been revitalized a ton. I can remember hanging out at greenshield's in city market thinking how cool it would be if a few more bars would open up. now there's a ton in that square alone.

--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 01:33 PM
if you really want to get that dirty south vibe go to southern championship wrestling. I am laughing my ass off just thinking about it.

TheWorstPlayer
07-25-2005, 02:26 PM
ok, any tips? this is something which sounds very interesting to me.

turnipmonster
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
they used to have it at the berkely cafe. really unintentionally hilarious.

Runin
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Sadlack's is definitely good, so is Sullivans. My pick for shakes would have to be Cook Out though, especially the egg nog shake they have in the winter. Don't forget about the movies they show at the art museum. Its like $2.50 or soemthing and you can bring food and a blanket and sit on the lawn. My knowledge is really kinda limited since I live in Greensboro and only visit people in Raleigh.