PDA

View Full Version : ah hell - lost the Credit Card

whiskeytown
07-25-2005, 08:28 AM
so on my way back from NYC yesterday, I stop at the Border's bookstore in the airport and get a book and use my CC...

this morning, I am looking for that Credit card and it's gone - and suddenly the VM call from Visa Fraud Prevention makes sense -

sounds like someone put it to some good use - they'll cancel it and save me the charges past a certain amount (I think $50) - but my life just went from pleasant to ugly for the day...

My automated charges are taken out every month for the band website - gonna have to change that...fruck...

I know it's supposed to be a mark of the beast, (according to the hard right wingers) but just put the damn microchip under my skin already so I can't lose it...

RB

miajag81
07-25-2005, 08:45 AM
that sucks man...i am paranoid nearly to the point of OCD about losing my credit cards, even though with theft prevention and all it wouldn't be that huge of a problem. i pay for just about everything with a check card, so losing that would be a major hassle.

whiskeytown
07-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I pay for 99 percent of my stuff with a check card....

for reasons that will remain unknown to me, I left it at home (it was almost depleted anyways) and paid with the CC - very lucky...

RB

dmk
07-25-2005, 11:46 AM
odd, i just lost my check card this past friday. luckily no charges and i was able to replace it this morning w/out hassle.

CORed
07-25-2005, 11:57 AM
About two weeks ago, I go to an ATM. I have 1 dollar and pocket change on me. ATM won't accept my card. I try to buy gas with the card (it's also a VISA debit card). Refused. I buy gas and groceries with a credit card. Next morning, I write a check, go to the bank at 8AM (opening time for driveup window) and cash the check on the way to work. I call the bank from work. It turns out card number has been "compromised" (somebody hacked a database somewhere and stole the number) and bank canceled card. No charges against card, but I'm back to writing checks and going to bank while they're open to cach checks when I need cash for a week before I get new card and PIN.

ddollevoet
07-25-2005, 12:04 PM
...and now I have the money to finish my robot. My GIRL robot. This is going to be the best prom EVER!!!

Tough luck, but look at the bright side, it could have been much, much worse.

Jersey Nick
07-25-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About two weeks ago, I go to an ATM. I have 1 dollar and pocket change on me. ATM won't accept my card. I try to buy gas with the card (it's also a VISA debit card). Refused. I buy gas and groceries with a credit card. Next morning, I write a check, go to the bank at 8AM (opening time for driveup window) and cash the check on the way to work. I call the bank from work. It turns out card number has been "compromised" (somebody hacked a database somewhere and stole the number) and bank canceled card. No charges against card, but I'm back to writing checks and going to bank while they're open to cach checks when I need cash for a week before I get new card and PIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

CORed, I would jump on my banker to get that card to me via FedEx. That is bullsh*t. They didn't have the courtesey to call you to tell you that they were blocking the card, and now they're going to inconvenience you for another week? 40 million accounts were "compromised", but not everyone got their cards cancelled without notice. A little backstory in the news here (http://tinyurl.com/dfq93) if you're interested.

CORed
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Actually, they did try to call, but had an old phone number on file, most likely because i never gave them the new number the last time I moved.

Jersey Nick
07-25-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, they did try to call, but had an old phone number on file, most likely because i never gave them the new number the last time I moved.

[/ QUOTE ]Then yell at them for not knowing your phone number. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mmbt0ne
07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Did you at least find out what was bought on the card? I would be interested to know that.

toss
07-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Happened to me too. Wrote off an agry letter demanding action.

whiskeytown
07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
something was charged to AT&T, from what I understand....that was the first charge -

It only had $2500 on it anyways....

I shoulda asked...

RB

AsiaKurosawa
07-25-2005, 02:05 PM
$1500 for a leather bustier? I didn't care. It lifts and seperates!

Welcome home /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SossMan
07-25-2005, 02:08 PM
bill pay rocks.

Blarg
07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Just lost mine too. What a pain. I have lots of things I pay for with that card.

Five business days for me to get the next one.

Quercus
07-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Wait until someone steals your identity.

Nothing better than getting a phone call from CItibank at 7am asking why you are opening yet another jewelry store account in a city 350 miles from your home.

A gang of crooks used my identity to run up $35,000 in instant store credit (at a half dozen jewelry stores and Sears) over a 2.5 day period.

One of the last attempted transaction was at a guitar store in Kansas City. By then, a fraud alert had been put onto my file and the poor clerk (sounded like an older woman) called my home phone number and, I swear to God, asked me if I was standing there in the store trying to get credit to buy a guitar.

The last transaction was at a mall jewelry store where the thief convinced the salescritters to override the fraud alert on the account and give him $8000 for a new diamond ring anyway.

Was a major hassle getting all that cleared up.

whiskeytown
07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't mind you buying it...but I expect photos of you wearing it as repayment ... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

RacersEdge
07-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Wow, I thought I had the record at about $22K in fraudulent cc charges..

My thieves were more into electronics.

Once I had my convenience checks stolen from my mail - the one they attach to your monthly statements. It's great that the rules are that there is no liability on the victim - most don;t even make you pay the $50.

I think it's a ggod idea to get a credit watch/alert put on your account these days. The only hassle with the alert is you might have to answer a few questions over the phone when you open an account - like a cell phone - or make a purchase over a few hundred bucks. And the credit watch is like $50 a year, and you get an email update of your credit history via Equifax or one of the other 2 credit agencies.