PDA

View Full Version : Bodog 100k hand

schwah
07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Final table of bodog 100k, 3 handed. blinds are 8/16k. i have 160k and post the BB. sb has about 100k. Button has 400k+.

Payouts are 25k/14.3k/9.2k. Big stack has raised the past 3 hands. He busted a short guy in 4th place the hand before that. From what I've seen he's a pretty good player and has adjusted to the flow of the table well. He seems to know his high blind strategy. Shorter guy seems to be playing pretty scared. He was talking about how nervous he was when the final table first started, and has made some pretty donk plays since.

Button min raises. sb folds. I call with 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, button checks. Turn is 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets 26k. I go allin for about 100k more.

Will post results and my thought process in a bit.

billyjex
07-25-2005, 08:45 AM
this is a play i would never make myself. a flop check in an obvious bet situation raises a red flag to me.. i would be too scared to make this move because i think there's too great a chance he's trapping me w/ a T or big pair. you say he's a good, thinking player so this is a likely move.

i would prefer to muck and put my money in preflop in a better situation.

sekrah
07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I agree with your analysis.

schwah
07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
you analysis is pretty much dead on.

when i called preflop i did so with the intention of betting out most flops i missed and check raising when i flopped a draw or pair i thought was good. not a terrible play in most similiar situations but i don't think i should've done it here, for 2 reasons: 75s has very little showdown value, and the player i'm in the pot with almost certainly knows about the stop n go play and is more likely to defend against it with something like ace high.

when the flop came TT4 i realized there was almost no chance he would fold ace high or even king high on a flop that missed so many hands. i checked with the intention of folding. when he checked behind i should have realized he was probably trapping but instead put him on something like QJ or K9. complete brain fart and inexcusable /images/graemlins/frown.gif

picked up a gutshot on the turn but still should've check/folded. his action was screaming 10 or overpair but for some reason i didn't pick it up. and yep, he had aces. he finished off the other guy a few hands later.

been beating myself up since the tourney ended. my streak ended (i had won the last 4 final tables i've made). i guess i shouldn't be too upset with 9k but i am. ah well.

anyways i posted this mainly as a good example of what to avoid at a final table /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nthn2fancy
07-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Excellent play yesterday. Congrats on 3rd.

schwah
07-25-2005, 10:20 AM
thanks. you played well too.

bodogs tournament structure is sooooooooo bad but the overlay makes it soooooo worth it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A_PLUS
07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Haven't read anything yet.

I really like this play. It take a VERY strong player to make this call without a Ten.

or Aces...lol /images/graemlins/frown.gif

In all seriousness, you cant give the guy credit for a T or OP just b/c of this line. You will see him check behind this flop for the same reasons you didnt bet it. I think you got unlucky, I dotn think it is a bad line

thedecline19
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
congrats on the 3rd place finish. I think your line is fine only if you think this is a bad player, but a good player is probably calling with a lot of hands here if he has any kind of read.

Anyway, im a bodog player as well and was thinking about starting to play the 100k guaranteed and was wondering if youve played any of the satellites for the tourney or if you had just put up the 110 bucks. Im willing to do either, just didnt know if you felt that the qualifiers were easily beatable.

schwah
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
i havent played any satellites but i assume they're good since most games on bodog are.

A_PLUS
07-25-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats on the 3rd place finish. I think your line is fine only if you think this is a bad player, but a good player is probably calling with a lot of hands here if he has any kind of read.

Anyway, im a bodog player as well and was thinking about starting to play the 100k guaranteed and was wondering if youve played any of the satellites for the tourney or if you had just put up the 110 bucks. Im willing to do either, just didnt know if you felt that the qualifiers were easily beatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands is a 'good' opponent callign with here. How would hero play a Ten here? If this is the first all-in move that hero has made since 5 players or so. I doutb you are getting called by anything less than an overpair

nthn2fancy
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
The qualifiers are easily beatable. Many players have no idea basic sat. strategy. Its very funny when it comes to the bubble and the big stacks are playing huge pots against each other.

thedecline19
07-25-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What hands is a 'good' opponent callign with here. How would hero play a Ten here? If this is the first all-in move that hero has made since 5 players or so. I doutb you are getting called by anything less than an overpair

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was thinking here is that your getting called by basically any pair here and probably any mid ace. Even if you hadnt really moved in much before it would be difficult to put you on something like a 10 here because you would like to be extracting value, not pushing. Also, it doesnt seem that the hero here would be pushing with just a small piece, like bottom pair. As the hero said, villian played this consistent with a 10 or overpair so I think this push gets called by more hands than you think if the villian realizes the possible hands that hero would be pushing.

A_PLUS
07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost 90K in the pot, and you think it is unreasonable for the Hero to push a T, with a straight and flush draw on board? The pot represents 75% of the Hero's stack.

Yes, the Villan's play is consistent with an overpair and a Ten, but it is also consistent with a weak Ace, a PP under Ten, etc, etc.

Why on earth would the Villan call this push with Ace high??
Unless the Hero has been very aggressive, this push looks like a made hand as much as anything. There is 90K in the pot, two draws on board, and the hero has 130 behind, a push here is pretty standard for a made hand.

thedecline19
07-25-2005, 01:18 PM
eh, your probably right. a quick re-read and taking stacks into consideration has made me reconsider this a little bit.