PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Atlanta

TBag
07-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Sup guys, I'm in Atlanta all week with my pops since he's playing in a major bridge tourney and while he's playing all week I'm gonna have a lot of free time.

I was hoping some of you folks could tell me what you like to do around here, as the forums always seem to give great advice in similar situations. Thanks =P

ClaytonN
07-25-2005, 04:40 AM
Hey Tbag, luckily for you there's a lot of 2+2'ers in the Atlanta area, so there will likely be suggestions on top of mine.

The World of Coke and the CNN Center tours are a MUST as your regular touristy-stop attraction. For historical stuff/hang with your dad, the King Center is a pretty cool trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Foodwise, Atlanta is all about the Varsity. You have to stop there once, and make sure to get a frosted orange. You will thank me later.

Another cool place to hang around is the centennial olympic park, as well as the fox theatre (if anything decent is playing).

I'm sure more ATL'ers will expand on my initial suggestions, but as someone who has lived in suburban atlanta for 18 years, those are some of the necessities

TBag
07-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Can you get to Varsity a la Marta? I got a week long pass on that bitch and I intend to ride her as much as possible.

ClaytonN
07-25-2005, 06:18 AM
There's likely a Marta stop that's a shortish walk to the Varsity.

Also, for fine dining look up "Iris". My personal favorite restaurant in town.

If you want sushi, head to Soto.

gravis
07-25-2005, 09:59 AM
yeah there is a marta stop about 100 yards from the V. its the same stop as for the georgia tech campus but i forget the name.

dlk9s
07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah there is a marta stop about 100 yards from the V. its the same stop as for the georgia tech campus but i forget the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the North Avenue station - just head west on North Avenue once you get out of the station and you won't be able to miss The Varsity.

Rob Blackburn
07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Go check out the High Museum of Art, Whole World Theatre(Thurs. right now they are doing a joint improv show with Dad's Garage and Laughing Matters in the park apparently) , Braves Game.....I'll try to think of more things today.

ddollevoet
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
As long as you are going down to Coke/CNN, you might as well go to Underground too. It is just another mall, but it was built where a train used to be... and it is well, under ground.

I always like going to the Hard Rock, which is only a few blocks from Centenniel Park.

Drink a lot. It is going to be damn hot today.

ChipWrecked
07-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Lenox Square Mall has a MARTA station... see a movie, check out the pooty-tang. You can kill an hour or two, enjoy the air conditioning.

Get a fried peach pie at the Varsity.

Underground Atlanta still open? It's attached to Five Points Station downtown. Go during the day. Skip it at night.

If you like Asian food, there is a Vietnamese place in Midtown (Midtown Station) called Cha-Gio I used to love. I'm sure it's still open. I think it's on 10th St. near Peachtree. Great place for lunch. Also, Buford Highway out in Chamblee (Chambodia) and Doraville (Doranang) has lots of authentic places. You would probably need to hop a bus out of either of the train stations to do this.

Candler Park downtown is kind of interesting to wander around during workdays, esp. at lunch you can check out the ladies. Again, avoid downtown at night except for Cent. Park /CNN area.

ddollevoet
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
If you want a burger, find The Vortex.

ddollevoet
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Where are you staying?

mmbt0ne
07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Definitely go to a Braves game. They get back in town Tuesday, and have a game the next 6 days, with 3 against Washington and 3 against Pittsburgh. It's going to cost like $8 to buy a ticket, so it'll be nice and easy.

Vortex is on West Peachtree Street, so you can get off at either the Midtown or North Avenue stations and walk to it.

There's a lot of stuff to do in/around Lenox. Take MARTA up there one day, and youc an walk around the two malls, grab a bite to eat, go to a movie, all kinds of stuff.

I haven't ridden MARTA regularly for a few years, so I can't really give you any more advice. Everything in this thread is a pretty good idea though. If you really want sushi, screw Clayton's idea, get to a Ru Sans between 11am and 2:30pm and pay $8.50 for an all you can eat buffet. They selection has started to [censored] to a lot more fried stuff though, which I don't like.

RacersEdge
07-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square malls are right beside each other in Buckhead - there are shuttle buses going back and forth between them. Phipps is the place for seeing a movie - no theatres in LS. The Tavern at Phipps is known as an upscale bar to hamg out with occasional celebrity sightings - and some hot waitresses. There's also a tapas bar at Phipps called Twist that is pretty good as well. You could easily spend all day in these 2 malls.

Guy Incognito
07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, if you're going the Varsity, stick with the hot dogs, the hamburgers are absolute garbage. Go a few blocks north to the Vortex on 7th and Peachtree for burgers.

If you go to the Braves game, hit up the scalpers. Better seats, and they will likely give them to you at face for the weekday games, after some negotiating.

bennyk
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm going to be working in Atlanta next month, so i bookmarked the Best Food In Atlanta (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=111765&F_Board=exchange&T hread=2718937&partnumber=&postmarker=) thread.

bk

mmbt0ne
07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Yeah, if you're going the Varsity, stick with the hot dogs, the hamburgers are absolute garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two chili dogs, onion rings, orange freeze, and a coke.

shadow29
07-25-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you're going the Varsity, stick with the hot dogs, the hamburgers are absolute garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two chili dogs, onion rings, orange freeze, and a coke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are wrong. It's one cheeseburger, one chili dog, french fries, an FO (orange freeze...noob), and a coke.

As for things to do in Atlanta? Avoid going outside during the day I guess. Play golf, we've got great golf here (although public courses suck). Definetly go to a Braves game.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Buford Highway out in Chamblee (Chambodia) and Doraville (Doranang) has lots of authentic places. You would probably need to hop a bus out of either of the train stations to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this.

Check out the Fox, it's really cool.

Other than that, I don't know. Get drunk. There are lots of hot girls in Atlanta, so get laid.

edit- I wouldn't play poker in Atlanta. You might get Tasered to death in a Gwinett County jail.

ClaytonN
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, even though Buford highway has awesome food, it's too far out of the way

And I would definitely, definitely not do a Braves game, but only on account of the weather. 93 degrees with 90% humidity is just downright dangerous to your health.

Eegs
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
go to buckhead

shadow29
07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go to buckhead

[/ QUOTE ]

This response is clearly the winner.

RacersEdge
07-25-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, even though Buford highway has awesome food, it's too far out of the way

And I would definitely, definitely not do a Braves game, but only on account of the weather. 93 degrees with 90% humidity is just downright dangerous to your health.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's OK at night when the games usually are played. I mean if the players can play in it, you can sit in it. But I would definintely not want a day game sitting with no shade. But the Chop House is a pretty good bar hangout there overlooking the outfield. And hot temps = hot women in shorts. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

And you can take MARTA to the game.

Ulysses
07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Hot young Southern girls.

BeerMoney
07-25-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hot young Southern girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be ready to lie about being in a fraternity.

TBag
07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm staying in the Hyatt which is attached to the Peachtree center. In a few mins here I'm gonna get cleaned up and then see if I can't get me one of those Frozen Orange's and some hot dogs. Hopefully I don't get lost on the Marta. I'll keep you guys posted with a Varsity trip report when I get back

mmbt0ne
07-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Just be [censored] ready when they yell, "WHAT'LL YA HAVE"

augie00
07-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Pee on Josh Arieh's house.

ChipWrecked
07-25-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I always like going to the Hard Rock, which is only a few blocks from Centenniel Park.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very steep few blocks. Be in shape to do this. Better to get off at Peachtree Center or Five Points stations.

When did the Vortex move out of L5P? Or is there still one there? L5P (Little Five Points) would also be good, Criminal Records is great if you're into obscure bands and comics. Inman Park station for that.

dlk9s
07-25-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A very steep few blocks. Be in shape to do this. Better to get off at Peachtree Center or Five Points stations.

When did the Vortex move out of L5P? Or is there still one there? L5P (Little Five Points) would also be good, Criminal Records is great if you're into obscure bands and comics. Inman Park station for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two Vortexes. One on Moreland in L5P, one on Peachtree in Midtown.

ClaytonN
07-25-2005, 10:30 PM
The one in midtown is better. Then again, I consider L5P a hellhole.

Rob Blackburn
07-25-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be working in Atlanta next month, so i bookmarked the Best Food In Atlanta (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&amp;Entry=111765&amp;F_Board=exchange&amp;T hread=2718937&amp;partnumber=&amp;postmarker=) thread.

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

In the midst of all this ATL talk I too have found out I will have to go there for a seminar the first week of Sept., I am stoked and making my list of things to do and places to eat!

ChipWrecked
07-26-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The one in midtown is better. Then again, I consider L5P a hellhole.

[/ QUOTE ]

No love for the hippies?

mmbt0ne
07-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey, did your dad play with Bill Gates at all? Apparently he is/was in town for the bridge championships, and got 2nd in one of the competitions.

TBag
07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
No, my dad didn't get to play with Bill, we came in the day he was playing, but everyone that has played with him has told my dad about it tons of times. More importantly, why are you following bridge?

Also, for all you people raving about Varsity hot dogs, do yourself a favor and stop by a Costco (or is that a westcoast thing?) However, Frosted Orange was quite tasty.

mmbt0ne
07-26-2005, 08:58 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
More importantly, why are you following bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was on the gossip page, right before the comics.

ChipWrecked
07-27-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, for all you people raving about Varsity hot dogs, do yourself a favor and stop by a Costco (or is that a westcoast thing?) However, Frosted Orange was quite tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not supposed to be good. They're supposed to be bought. (Sorry, 'Untouchables' line...)

Screw the nekkid dogs, did you have a fried peach pie? That is the only reason to eat Varsity swill.

Cased Heel
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Things to do in Atlanta...

Drive to Florida? /images/graemlins/cool.gif