PDA

View Full Version : KK vs. a Chip Leader

Cleveland Guy
07-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Right before the end of the first Hour of the Pokerroom $20 Shorthanded (6 to a table) $20 Multi.

220 entered, top 30 pay, we are about 80 left, so a bit to go before the money.

Due to a recent bustout table is 5 handed right now.

Hero gets dealt Black KK on the button. Blinds are 75/150.

Hero has 4950 Chips, BB is 2nd in chips with about 12,000.

Hero Open raises on the button for 450. SB Folds, BB Calls.

Flop comes 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB leads out for 700.

What's my move?

I have been at the table for about 15 minutes. BB built his stack up before I got there, and has been taking coin flips vs. stacks 10% of his size, but has not been out of line against the bigger stacks.

betgo
07-24-2005, 11:50 PM
With that board you need to raise. There are a lot of potential draws. If villain made a set or has T9s, you are proabably going to bust out. You could just push or make a substantial raise and push on the turn.

RiverDood
07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I'd push.

He's ahead of you only if he's got 99, TT, 33 or 9T. And his bet feels too aggressive to be a set. His bet is perfectly consistent with AT, A9, any two diamonds, QJ, JT, a middle PP, 87, etc.

In almost all these cases, you're well ahead -- but various scare cards lie ahead, and you've got no idea what to be worried about. Push and you either take down the pot or play it out as the strong favorite with a chance to double up. I like that a lot more than feeling hogtied on the turn if you see the 5d, Js, etc., etc., etc.

Cleveland Guy
07-25-2005, 12:30 AM
I think you hit my thinking right on the head.

I didn't want to just call, or raise a little that I would have a tough decision if a scare card came on the turn.

I thought about raising to about 2000 - 2500, but that seemed like I'm pot comitted, but not really pricing him out if he has a decent draw.

The all in seemed like an overbet, but I couldn't figure out a better amount.

FWIW -he claims he folded AT.

08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
I had a very similar situation occur last night in a UB tourney. The details are not exact but they are close. 85 of 400+ runners left and both of us with better than average stacks. Me on buttom with KcKs and ~7000t and BB with ~12000t. Blinds are 200/400 I think.

I bet 3BBs, BB calls, nobody else in pot. Flop comes Jd 10h, low heart and BB bets about 2/3 of pot. I push and BB calls turning over AA.

This situation is a little different because these stacks are not as deep as your situation, but I don't like calling or making a mid-size raise. A mid-size raise kind of pot commits you so you might as well push. Calling will probably just lead to a more difficult decision on the turn if the BB makes a similiar raise.

Folding is an option I guess but I just close my eyes and push.

nsj
08-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't think folding is an option. Big stack likely caught a piece of the flop and is just bullying a button raise thiking CG whiffed on the flop.

If he had 9T, 33, TT, or 99, he is 100% ahead and will usually check-raise button.

I push here every time.