PDA

View Full Version : Mike Doughty

CrazyEyez
07-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I recently picked up Haughty Melodic and I like it a lot. I have no other Doughty or even Soul Coughing CDs. Which ones, if any, should I check out?

nothumb
07-24-2005, 11:30 PM
I think Irresistible Bliss is the best of the Soul Coughing discs, followed by El Oso. But they are all different and it's pretty taste dependent. IB is more mellow, El Oso is a little more ambitious and uptempo, I found Ruby Vroom a bit unfocused. Although "Janine" and "True Dreams of Wichita" are two of my favorite Soul Coughing songs (both on RV).

M. Doughty came to Simon's Rock college for a live, acoustic show while I was a student there (he is an alum). Got to spend some time showing him around and hanging out. He's very talented but unfortunately was really strung out at the time. Haven't been following him; hopefully he's cleaned up a bit.

NT

CrazyEyez
07-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I've heard his live shows are great.

nothumb
07-24-2005, 11:34 PM
I could see how they would be, he's an amusing guy and pretty charismatic. Unfortunately he was not in a good spot at that time. I like his music a lot.

NT

mblax10
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Pick up Skittish/Rockity Roll. 2 indie rock accoustic albums he wrote in '96 & '03. They were re-released as a double disk last year and are excellent.

El Oso is the only Soul coughing album I own it is very good. I know about half a dozen songs on Irresisitble Bliss & Ruby Vroom & like the songs on Ruby Zroom better.

Also download Adolpha Zanziger and live versions of Janine. Both great songs and tough to find on CD.

fishsauce
07-26-2005, 12:37 AM
It should be mentioned that Soul Coughing is a good bit funkier than M. Doughty solo. Of the three SC albums I have, El Oso is my favorite, with the others close behind.