PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Push and Call

07-24-2005, 10:19 PM
The table started as a live 7 handed STT, with players who usually play cash games. 2 players have been eliminated already making it 5 handed. Payout for the tournament is $60 $30 $15. I have about t2200 and have pushed about 1/3 of the hands I have recently played after there was no callers in front. I have not shown down any of the hands. With blinds at 75/150, I am UTG+1 and after UTG folds I push with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Button and SB fold. BB, who sits with about t8500, knows I am probably the best remaining player at the table. He asks me for a count and calls. I figure a good way to do this is to analyse the push, while at the same time figuring what would be acceptable to call from BB's perspective. I will reveal missing details such as what he calls with after I read some responses. Thanks for your help.

bluefeet
07-24-2005, 10:52 PM
your push is fine - obviously a strong enough hand (would a standard raise, varying a bit from your recent pushes, ring any unwanted/wanted 'i gotsthegoods' alarms?....nah, probably not).

calling from the BB?
- i have you out-chipped almost 4 to 1
- you've developed a bit of the push rash recently
- i know 'you're probably the best player at the table' (assuming that i, as the BB, know enough to know what you'd be pushing)

99-TT+, AQ/Js+

i still think raising w/ your strong hand and position might be an option/opportunity to pick up more than the blinds.

skierdude1000
07-24-2005, 11:30 PM
I would just raise here to like 450.... how much did you start with?

07-25-2005, 12:12 AM
2500 and 25/50 blinds. Two other stacks had about 6000 if I recall correctly and the other was about even with me.

jeffraider
07-25-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't really like the push or any push with your stack size and these blinds. Being that this isn't party and you won't have nice big blinds to enjoy in ten hands or less I think you need to make it 400 or so and just play postflop or do the math and take a read if he pushes overtop of your raise.

07-25-2005, 03:23 AM
For what it's worth, BB ended up calling with 33.

Hendricks433
07-25-2005, 03:31 AM
I think pushing with this size stack with these blinds is not a good play. Just raise and play the hand. You must be one of those push everything sng players. Raising 2500 into a pot of 75 cant be a +ev play can it?

HonestIago15
07-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Pushing is definately inadvisable here. His call was absurd. The blinds just aren't big enough for you to want to push, especially not someone so insane as to call with 33 here. 3 times the big blind would be sufficient i think.

07-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Definitely not a push everything player. I had come back from a slightly shorter stack and was attempting to make use of my other all ins, hoping to induce a call from a dominated ace etc. After all, who knows what value it has when you are getting called by a range that includes 33 there. (Of course, that's just hindsight)