PDA

View Full Version : K/K & Q/Q situations I hate

07-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm a new poster and signed up because lately I find myself in these situations and hate my line after. I find I'm being too passive or too aggressive at the wrong times. I'm not sure if it matters, but the limits I play are 5/10 - 10/20 (I figured this post was best suited for mid/high)in full ring games 7+ players. (Presume I have no reads on these players)

Anyway the situations are as follows:

1. I'm in position and cap or 3-bet and am called by 2 other players preflop with either K/K or Q/Q. The flop comes A/x/x rainbow and a drawless board. It's bet, raised and now it's 2 to me. I... ?

2. I'm in position with K/K or Q/Q the same preflop 3 bet or cap happens. Flop comes A/x/x rainbow and a drawless board. It's checked to me, I bet, one fold and one call. Turn is a blank and I'm check raised. I.... ?

As far as what I have been doing I have been laying down in the first situation 100% of the time without a read. In the second situation if I have a read I'm calling down, but I'm folding a lot of the time without one. For the second situation I hate checking the turn and calling down there, but I also hate calling the extra BB from the C/R. Should I consider checking the flop at least some of the time and calling down the turn and river. I was thinking I'll be having worse hands betting into me for 1 BB on the turn and 1 on the river or at least check calling the river(losing the 1/2 BB flop bet) that may have folded for my turn bet. I also save the 1/2 BB if im behind to an ace and save 1.5 BB if I'm check raised by an ace.

Tell me if my thinking just sucks. These situations are frustrating me because I feel I'm paying out/losing bets way too much in a situation where Im way ahead or way behind.

JAA
07-24-2005, 10:14 PM
As far as what I have been doing I have been laying down in the first situation 100% of the time without a read. In the second situation if I have a read I'm calling down, but I'm folding a lot of the time without one.

Sounds about right to me.

- Jags

07-24-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me.

- Jags

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I thought that might be right, but I'm trying to increase my winrate and save/make bets. I figured the easiest place to start re-evaluating my game was these way ahead or way behind areas. I'm really curious if anyone has any comments on the flop check and call down line I posted as a variation.

elindauer
07-25-2005, 02:41 AM
You put yourself in this situation by betting the turn (and the flop for that matter) in the first place. What are you hoping to accomplish?

Good luck.
Eric

07-25-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You put yourself in this situation by betting the turn (and the flop for that matter) in the first place. What are you hoping to accomplish?

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you suggesting? Check the flop? then what? I bet the flop and the turn because I think my hand is best unless someone tries to tell me otherwise. I'm getting called by worse hands as often as I am getting led into by worse hands on the flop. I'm betting the turn for the same reason. Tens, Jacks, Queens are calling down here often on an ace high flop with no draws and no overcards (other than the ace). If you could elaborate on your post that would be great, because that's why I asked the question. I thought I might be missing bets or paying bets I shouldn't with my current lines.

wuarhg
07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I think what Eric is trying to say is that checking can be a good thing against most opponents in situation 2 (on the turn). There aren't many cards you are afraid of so a freecard doesn't hurt you and it often induces a bluff from total trash or TTish hands. And ofcourse you avoid being moved off the hand.