PDA

View Full Version : Your Picks for the Best Civil War Books Wanted

11-09-2001, 07:22 AM
Hello Everybody,

Last year I asked for book suggestions to put on my Christmas list and most of dozens of suggestions from 2+2 posters worked out super well. The books Santa didn't get me go back on this years list. Hopefully I've been a better boy and will get them all.

Anyway, besides reading many of the recommended books from 2+2 posters during the last year I've read or reread quite a few World War 2 and Viet Nam war books. In some cases they were history books and in others they were novels set in the era. Why I'm on a war kick I can't say for sure but the events of September 11 keep me interested.

Among the World War 2 books I read included:

D-Day, Citizen Soldiers, Band of Brothers and the Wild Blue by Steven Ambrose. Only the last one disappointed me.

The novels “Catch 22” by Joseph Heller, “The Naked and the Dead” by Norman Mailer, and “War and Remembrance” by Herman Wouk. All three are great.

Finally, “The Second World War” by John Keegan was good concise history.

Viet Nam War books read or reread included:

“Viet Nam - a History” by Stanley Karnov

“Dispatches” by Michael Herr

“A Rumor of War” by Philip Caputo

“Short Timers” by Gustav Hasford (downloaded from the web!)

Right now I'm reading “We Were Soldiers Once … and Young” by General Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway

In past years I've read “A Bright Shining Lie” by Neal Sheehan, "Paco's Story" by by Larry Heinemann, and "Going After Caccitio" by Tim O'Brien.

The above books are the type I tend to like and ones I would recommend except where noted.

Next year I hope to read up on the Civil War. In my life I've read almost nothing on this topic and from what I gather there are quite a few Civil War buffs on the forum. The best history books, narratives, novels set in the era, and books about President Lincoln would be what I'm looking for.

All suggestions will be appreciated?

Regards,

Rick

PS Since it's up on my other browser I'll post the link to the downloadable book "Short Timer's". This book, now out of print, was the inspiration for the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

11-09-2001, 08:14 AM
I haven't read too much on the Civil War, but I did enjoy "How Robert E. Lee Lost the Civil War", by Edward H. Bonekemper, III. It's an eye opener, for sure.

My favorite, and I've read it several times, is "Mask for Treason" by Vaughan Shelton. It was published in 1965 so you would have trouble finding a copy, but I found it fascinating. Shelton did a great deal of original research and presented some very compelling arguments that there was a lot more to the Lincoln assassination than meets the eye.

Tom D

11-09-2001, 09:14 AM
Down here that's the correct title for total disregard for states rights and economic hegemony...gl

11-09-2001, 11:48 AM
If you are interested in novels set around US military history, you can't do better than W.E.B. Griffin's books. In particular,

the Brotherhood of War series is a must read.

Chuck

11-09-2001, 12:47 PM
One of the interesting things about the Civil War is the large number of first person accounts published afterwards. Many have been republished in paperback over the years. One of my favorites is I Rode With Stonewall, by Henry Kid Douglas.

11-09-2001, 02:15 PM
The Battle Cry of Freedom and

Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution

both books are written by James MacPherson.

11-09-2001, 02:46 PM
A three volume series. Absolutely fantastic. Written in an engaging style that keeps you hooked. Full of incredible anecdotes and stories about the major (and minor) personalities of the war.

It is considered by many to the finest, and most thorough work on the Civil War.

natedogg

11-09-2001, 03:49 PM
There are lots of wonderful book on the Civil War, but the books by Bruce Caton The Coming Fury, Terrible Swift Sword, and Never Call Retreat should get you started.

11-09-2001, 05:15 PM
Try reading "The Killer Angels" about the Battle of Gettysburg.

Then see the Turner Gettysburg movie for a comparison. It is very interesting...especially to see the real life characters come to life, based DIRECTLY on the book.

Mark

11-10-2001, 04:19 AM
If I had to pick just one book then Battle Cry of Freedom by James M McPherson would be my choice.

IMO it is the definitive single volume work on the Civil War. It covers the critical social, economic and political issues of the time as well as dealing with the military aspects of the conflict.

Widely praised both for his detailed research and the clarity of his writing McPherson won the Pulitzer Prize for this work.

Don't miss it.

11-10-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks everybody!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to make some comments or ask more questions yesterday but I had the irresistible urge to install a new hard drive and operating system so I was off line for most of the day (and may remain so for most of my life if I can't get the bugs fixed) /images/smile.gif .

Regards,

Rick

11-11-2001, 11:43 PM
Rick,

The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaarma, is not just a great historical novel about the Civil War, it's a great novel-- period. His son has also written a book about the war. I second the nominations for MacPherson's book. If you haven't read Stone Mountain, do so.

John