PDA

View Full Version : Son Volt

sfer
07-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Just bought the new CD. Popped it into the computer so I could rip it, etc etc. Computer doesn't recognize it.

Thanks Sony you retarded, don't understand your consumers, motherfuckers.

bd8802
07-24-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just bought the new CD. Popped it into the computer so I could rip it, etc etc. Computer doesn't recognize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have been able to rip it. I, like you, have not been able to. The Afterglow 61 EP, and the Retrospective CD rips fine though.

/bd

jgorham
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Is it an "enhanced cd?" That [censored] pisses me off to no end. I can never rip them either.

bd8802
07-24-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it an "enhanced cd?" That [censored] pisses me off to no end. I can never rip them either.

[/ QUOTE ]

dual disc

i have not had problems with other dual discs. but supposedly sony has some new copy protection. my computer will not even read the CD side.

the good news is that this might be the best son volt to date. it is a really solid album sans the copy protection bullshit.

PokerBob
07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

worked fine for me....you know it is a cd on one side and a dvd on the other, right?

sfer
07-25-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

worked fine for me....you know it is a cd on one side and a dvd on the other, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. The computer can read the DVD side but not the CD side. Bummer. I really wanted to listen to it.

whiskeytown
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
this [censored] astonishes me - if any band would be more likely to have loyal fans that wouldn't download/steal, it would be Son Volt - but it's not gonna be the band's choice, I'm sure...it's Sony's shithead idea, no doubt...

Gramaphone is my fav. on that album.

RB

bd8802
07-25-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Gramaphone is my fav. on that album.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Joe Citizen Blues is the best from the sessions though. I don't know why it did not make it on the album.

Best Jay stuff since Trace ... and most rocking since UT. I like it a lot.

/bd

sfer
11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Ugh. I can't rip the new Stellastarr CD unless I "Agree" to install whatever anti-piracy software Sony put on the CD. This is absurd.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sony you retarded, don't understand your consumers, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem with the Velvet Revolver album and have since refused to buy anything from Sony. I did get my Wega in there right before I bought this CD, though.

sfer
11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem with the Velvet Revolver album and have since refused to buy anything from Sony. I did get my Wega in there right before I bought this CD, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the irony is that, since I listen to most things on my mp3 player more than anywhere else, I won't buy anything that's restrictive in this way.

IHateKeithSmart
11-08-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how geeky y'all are, but there's some interesting stuff going on with Sony's drm implementation. Mark Russinovich (uber windows kernel hacking geek) has a good writeup, along with the response from the 'perpetrators'. Essentially, Sony is installing software on your pc that intentionally hides and disguises its actions. Not cool.

It's in Mark's blog (http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/)

samjjones
11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I just ripped Contraband the other day in my DVD drive. No problems???

sfer
11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how geeky y'all are, but there's some interesting stuff going on with Sony's drm implementation. Mark Russinovich (uber windows kernel hacking geek) has a good writeup, along with the response from the 'perpetrators'. Essentially, Sony is installing software on your pc that intentionally hides and disguises its actions. Not cool.

It's in Mark's blog (http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/)

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I was mad before. Now I'm apoplectic.

jason_t
11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. I can't rip the new Stellastarr CD unless I "Agree" to install whatever anti-piracy software Sony put on the CD. This is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're being sued (http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-11/11.shtml#sony).

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Hahaha, I have lots of Sony stuff, and now that I know this, I won't be buying any more.

FU Sony!

kipin
11-11-2005, 07:43 PM
You may find this interesting.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/11/11/1927225.shtml?tid=172&tid=158&tid=233

Sony installs a rootkit on your PC to hide the files, and now hackers and spammers are using the rootkit sony installs to hide their files from you. As a result Sony has now apparently decided to stop bundling the software with the CD's, but the cat is already out of the bag.

dsw1977
11-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Another site on this...

http://www.boycottsony.us/

There are a couple workarounds to allow you to rip songs off these protected CDs, which if not on this site, should be found pretty easily via google.

jason_t
11-17-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're being sued (http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-11/11.shtml#sony).

[/ QUOTE ]

They have discontiuned their mechanism. (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-11/15.shtml#sony)

fluxrad
11-17-2005, 01:06 AM
As other posters have said, throwing any disc made by Sony in my PC is about the last thing I'd be doing right about now. The box doesn't just install a rootkit but aparently allows arbitrary code to be executed on your box as well. Running that is just asking for your box to be pwned.