PDA

View Full Version : Short Vegas Report

11-08-2001, 10:34 PM
Well, I was sick of smelling WTC smoke, and the plane fares and hotel rates were dirt cheap, so I headed to Las Vegas for a couple days. The internet rate for the Mirage was $99 for Saturday and $69 for Sunday through Tuesday, so I didn't have to mess with the poker rate. Probably a good thing, because I found the 15-30 at the Bellagio to be much better than the 10-20 at the Mirage on this trip.

A couple observations: The dealer quality in LV is far higher than the dealer quality in AC. Also, there are far more younger players and female players in Las Vegas.

It is very interesting to see the regional differences in the way hold'em is played. The Las Vegas players are far more aggressive than those in Atlantic City, and they will not hesitate to raise and reraise with draws and non-nut hands. Two examples:

(1) In a 10-20 hand at the Mirage, I called in middle position with pocket twos. The flop came 662. The small blind bet, I raised, the small blind reraised, I reraised, etc., until I called the SB's raise that made it $70 on the flop. At this point, I figured SB had either A6 or 66, with A6 more likely. I figured I'd pop it on the river if an Ace didn't fall. I called the turn bet, raised the river bet, and the SB paid me off and mucked when I showed my hand.

(2) In a 15-30 hand at the Bellagio, I called in middle position with A9h. The flop was KhJx5h. The SB bet, I raised, and SB called. The turn was the 10h. The SB bet, I called. The river was an offsuit Queen. The SB bet, I raised, and SB kept reraising me until I made it 6 bets on the river with the nut flush. SB had the second nut flush and said he thought I had a straight.

I finished slightly down on this trip, but it was a good, very cheap vacation.